News   Jun 26, 2024
 114     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 276     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.9K     2 

Seven ways to make Toronto a world-class city again

However, the city feels like it lacks soul and the city's people are pretty uptight. There's no sense of history either. The cultural scene isn't that great. It's an excellent place to make money but I wouldn't call it world class.

As was said of Vancouver above...

If you want a "sense of history" in Canada, you can go to Quebec, the Maritimes, or (perhaps especially) Newfoundland. Ontario - to say nothing of the West - is something of a recent creation and the "sense of history" reflects that.

As for the cultural scene, there is a substantial cluster of art, filmmaking, music ("serious" and popular), and post-secondary institutions that make for a very significant "scene" in Toronto, certainly more than any other Canadian city.

Yep, pretty much.

I may be a hater, but I'm also being a realist. Toronto is a good city, but the lack of an authentic culture and real people sucks. While I've found great people in Toronto, I've also found the city's atmosphere to be dry and unfriendly. It doesn't compare to other cities in terms of how "alive" it feels. Also, the hipsters in Toronto are some of the most annoying people I've met, and the political correctness in this city is insane.

I dunno, it feels pretty alive standing in Dundas Square on a Friday afternoon in the summer. Or while wandering around King West later that night.

Where in the world are hipsters not annoying? Although Toronto does have skeet hipster families which I find very weird.

As was said of Vancouver above...

If you want a "sense of history" in Canada, you can go to Quebec, the Maritimes, or (perhaps especially) Newfoundland. Ontario - to say nothing of the West - is something of a recent creation and the "sense of history" reflects that.

As for the cultural scene, there is a substantial cluster of art, filmmaking, music ("serious" and popular), and post-secondary institutions that make for a very significant "scene" in Toronto, certainly more than any other Canadian city.

I dunno, it feels pretty alive standing in Dundas Square on a Friday afternoon in the summer. Or while wandering around King West later that night.

Where in the world are hipsters not annoying? Although Toronto does have skeet hipster families which I find very weird.

I'll take hipsters over pickpockets and scam artists any day

Jared Harris thinks we're fantastic!

http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/05/mad_men_star_rips_torontos_bland_architecture/

(Spoiler alert: no he doesn't.)

At least Larry King still likes us.

Y8vqprK.png

https://twitter.com/kingsthings/status/625473812700606465?lang=en

An afternoon at Wards Island, I'm guessing. ...or is that just me?

I just realised that the thread title is hilarious. Again? If it isn't a boss world class city then when was it one before?

Yes, but the question remains.

Edit: Sorry, I should qualify....if it isn't world class now then it sure as he'll wasn't before.

Last edited:
What triggered him to make that statement?

On his Twitter, Larry has #itsmy2cents to search for truth in one sentence comments (his description). In that tweet I suppose Larry came to the realization that Toronto is one of the world's great cities. He wasn't in Toronto at the time as far as I know.

Yes, but the question remains.

Edit: Sorry, I should qualify....if it isn't world class now then it sure as he'll wasn't before.

Online I see some people say "when I was growing up, you used to be able to see the lake from the Gardiner Expressway. Now there's nothing but glass condos cutting us off from the waterfront" or some shit like that. I can't for the life of me understand why some people miss the waterfront of 30 years ago. In their mind, Toronto was such a great city back then because they could enjoy the view of the lake without getting out of the car.

Back