News   Jun 17, 2024
 394     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 471     0 

Seven ways to make Toronto a world-class city again

I'm not so sure what exactly the author finds lacking here. Granted, that's often the way things are in cities; you can't quite put your finger on what 'it' is that you either love or hate. Still, as I understand it, his criticism seems to be that Toronto lacks personality because it doesn't have 'stuff' other than 'some parks, restaurants and neighbourhoods.' Which is basically as true for any city. None of them have much stuff if you, you know, discount the actual stuff.

Personally, I think that unknown something is that easy living had lead to taking past successes for granted and a state of graceful (and increasingly, disgraceful) decay. There is a fear of taking risk for the potential of betterment - can you imagine the Toronto of now building another say, CN Tower? Ontario Place? Bloor Viaduct? without going through a decade of debate and then say "F- that, we'll just muddle along without it"? The city seems unsure of what it wants, and even when it does, seems appalled at the prospect of having to pay for it.

I will say Toronto is, in a way, very post-modern in more or less rejecting the notion of authenticity. Tourists love that stuff and the entire tourism industry in lots of cities caters to foreign demands of exoticism and uniqueness. Most of these 'world-wise' travellers are never self reflective enough to ask how their own demands for authenticity give rise to entire authenticity industries in many tourist destinations to fulfill the tourists' desire for the unique. The vast majority of the world is perfectly content entertaining itself with parks and bars and restaurants.

It's one thing to base one's notion of authenicity to what a tourist demands, but I think for residents to come up with that PoMo model of identity is very much a post-hoc justification - i.e. my authenticity is that I reject that there is, and the notion of developing one. It's just not very convincing other than as a retort to criticism i.e. "Oh I am sooo beyond that".

The comments are just the worst. Self serious travellers who think their one week in Malaga somehow makes them an expert on romance. Like, look at this shit: "Would you pick up a stranger in this city, invite her / him to a cool club / romantic place and take her home the same day? Just because it happened spontaneously." Some pretentious jerk struck out when nobody wanted to go to his version of a 'romantic place' to hear his thoughts on grappa. Sheeesh.

I ignore the comments for that reason.

AoD

Last edited:
Personally, I think that unknown something is that easy living had lead to taking past successes for granted and a state of graceful (and increasingly, disgraceful) decay. There is a fear of taking risk for the potential of betterment - can you imagine the Toronto of now building another say, CN Tower? Ontario Place? Bloor Viaduct? without going through a decade of debate and then say "F- that, we'll just muddle along without it"? The city seems unsure of what it wants, and even when it does, seems appalled at the prospect of having to pay for it.

Ohh yeah, I agree with that. Most North American cities have become very conservative. Probably the inevitable hangover from decades of urban renewal and highway construction leading to a kind of pseudo-Jacobsian stasis. Like I said earlier, somewhere along the way North American progressive urbanism kinda took on the attitude that we have to freeze things in amber. We have controversy over a 4 storey condos and backyard pizza ovens; the CN tower would be anathema!

This isn't unique to Toronto; the progressive response to NY's plan to renovate LaGuardia, that testament to piecemeal mediocrity, was to criticize it. In SF, tearing 'down' parking lots and garages is controversial.

Nor do I think our (lamentable) conservatism is the source of the author's ennui. At the risk of speculating, I'd actually say he's the type of person who thinks Toronto needs more stasis to preserve 'character' and thinks SanFrancisco is just the greatest thing since sliced bread without ever going to Oakland. The cities he likes go out of their way to stamp out change, to the point where some of them are just Euro-theme parks for drunk British people.
It's one thing for a tourist to demand authenicity, but I think for residents to come up with that PoMo model of identity is very much a post-hoc justification - i.e. my authenticity is that I reject the notion of developing one. It's just not very convincing other than as a retort to criticism i.e. "Oh I am sooo beyond that".

I was trying to suggest that authenticity is, the world over, a kind of useless way to judge cities. Authenticity seekers themselves participate in staging authenticity. This is the 21st Century, we all have iPhones, shop at H&M and watch Netflix. It's not a defence of anything in Toronto so much as a criticism of the lens.

The great fire happened so long ago that whatever buildings we lost back then were replaced by new ones that were just as pretty. It's the parking lots that were the most devastating. We can celebrate the condo boom all we want, but those glass and spandrel buildings will never replace what was lost.

What was lost? This is a real question, I don't know.

I've been lead to believe West of University the parking lots replaced railway tracks and light industry south of Queen. What was East of Yonge? I expected more of the same.

A related question, did we lose anything interesting on East Bayfront or West Donlands over the last 15 years? Pictures of it looked fairly similar to the picture above only a few years ago and there was plenty of demolition shortly before that.

Last edited:
Ohh yeah, I agree with that. Most North American cities have become very conservative. Probably the inevitable hangover from decades of urban renewal and highway construction leading to a kind of pseudo-Jacobsian stasis. Like I said earlier, somewhere along the way North American progressive urbanism kinda took on the attitude that we have to freeze things in amber. We have controversy over a 4 storey condos and backyard pizza ovens; the CN tower would be anathema!

I think the time is ripe for a counterrevolution of sorts.

This isn't unique to Toronto; the progressive response to NY's plan to renovate LaGuardia, that testament to piecemeal mediocrity, was to criticize it. In SF, tearing 'down' parking lots and garages is controversial.

Except that LaGuardia is less a problem with the city than the with state (which has its' own dysfunction) - differences in context notwithstanding, it's arguable that the NY city government is far more energetic and eager to experiment than the ours (just think the hash that was made out of the whole Food Cart business, to say the least). In both NY and SF, any ossification of governance is often challenged by the relatively innovative private/third sector - whereas ours are often way too eager to get along and take the safe route (if not downright demanding through pressure that the safe route be taken - think Uber).

Nor do I think our (lamentable) conservatism is the source of the author's ennui. At the risk of speculating, I'd actually say he's the type of person who thinks Toronto needs more stasis to preserve 'character' and thinks SanFrancisco is just the greatest thing since sliced bread without ever going to Oakland. The cities he likes go out of their way to stamp out change, to the point where some of them are just Euro-theme parks for drunk British people.

Obviously Toronto is not going to be Quebec City (or Montreal) - but really, what we should market is the dynamism and change (which is interestingly, more akin to some rapidly changing East Asian cities).

I was trying to suggest that authenticity is, the world over, a kind of useless way to judge cities. Authenticity seekers themselves participate in staging authenticity. This is the 21st Century, we all have iPhones, shop at H&M and watch Netflix. It's not a defence of anything in Toronto so much as a criticism of the lens.

On the contrary - in this age of mass communication, the ability to market, define and commodify one's "authenticity" is critical to success in driving what constitute "Global Culture".

AoD

Last edited:
that's just a desperate claim, like other North American cities such as Los Angeles or Chicago are not multicultural.

Not a desperate claim so much as a rather anti-climatic given. I've argued it before here, consistently, and remain convinced that while Multiculturalism served our needs in the 1970s and 1980s the best-before date on this policy has long passed. It served a purpose in changing Toronto from a parochial mono-culture to a diverse cohabitation of cultures, which was good, but it also did us a disservice lately in leaving our wonderfully diverse community without a sense of self. The challenge now is to focus back on the collectivity, or as others may frame it, the local 'authenticity' of Toronto. This has been neglected for too long, rearing its head in Toronto's latent collective existential crisis.

Case in point: Peameal bacon. Banal I know but in any other city - in a city with a firm sense of identity at least - it would be hailed as a local delicacy, a defining cultural icon (as poutine or maple syrup is in Quebec, for example), celebrated by local chefs who would feature it in their restaurants, serving it up in both classic and inventive ways. In short, it would be a signifier of local identity, and eating it would be a soulful experience that tourists/visitors would want to participate in as a means of connecting to a Toronto authenticity when here. In reality though it is largely ignored, and ignored by the same people who in the next breath would turn around and harrumph that 'Toronto has no culture or identity'.

Again, I understand that peameal bacon is a pretty stupid example, but how many other stupid examples are there that collectively start to add up to something more important? Why isn't Toronto the North American capital of craft beers? Why haven't we been staking this claim? Craft beer is hot now, everywhere, and we could have ridden the wave of this popularity *if* we had of been 'self aware' enough years ago when beer was already a defining aspect of our culture.

It's always good to look at what others think - and sometimes it can be rather unflattering:

http://landlopers.com/2013/07/22/visit-toronto

AoD

I think it's always worthwhile to get a sense of how others perceive us, warts and all. For me though, the irony is that I actually sort of cherish some of the Toronto stereotypes the writer mocks. Yeah, we're cold, I get it, but just about the most polite people on earth, almost laughably so. In fact, in many respects we do just need to learn to laugh at ourselves, collectively, and to see ourselves through a lens that is a little more accepting and a little less judgemental. Not everyone will like us but who cares. People who 'get' Toronto do.

The comments are just the worst. Self serious travellers who think their one week in Malaga somehow makes them an expert on romance. Like, look at this shit: "Would you pick up a stranger in this city, invite her / him to a cool club / romantic place and take her home the same day? Just because it happened spontaneously." Some pretentious jerk struck out when nobody wanted to go to his version of a 'romantic place' to hear his thoughts on grappa. Sheeesh.

We do have to take some of it with a grain of salt... but to be fair we do a lousy job in projecting anything meaningful to tourists/visitors. In this void who can really blame anyone for walking away thinking there really isn't much here to care about or come back for. We can be defensive and criticize that they didn't go off the beaten path or look past all of our ugly condos to find the gems but this is a little self-serving. There is vast room for improvement but it'll just take a new approach to get us there.

Why isn't Toronto the North American capital of craft beers? Why haven't we been staking this claim? Craft beer is hot now, everywhere, and we could have ridden the wave of this popularity *if* we had of been 'self aware' enough years ago when beer was already a defining aspect of our culture.
We should and still could be.

We already IMO can make that claim for our food scene. We can compliment it nicely through our craft beer scene.

We should and still could be. We already IMO can make that claim for our food scene. We can complement it nicely through our craft beer scene.

What does it mean to 'claim the title of craft beer'? What do you mean by that? Toronto has tons of craft breweries, a huge beer festival, tons of microbreweries... so what do you want done? Diminutive is saying it's been 'killed by the Beer Store'. Well, I'm not going to lie, the Beer Store oligopoly is hilariously bad, but:

Did you go to the sold out Beer Festival? http://beerfestival.ca/

Left Field was serving pints at the Roundhouse (home of one Steam Whistle Brewery) last weekend, according to their Twitter: http://www.craftbeerfest.ca/

Amsterdam's Lakeside taphouse has a GREAT deck and late night store selling their suds.

And, C'est What? exists. So, the world is a better place.

Why do we need an industrial policy to support beer? Just go buy a case.

LOL... According to this hack, Vancouver is unique and has this 'vibe' lacking in Toronto.

Whatever he's smoking, I want. Vancouver is probably one of the dullest cities I've ever visited, and maybe that's cause I'm not an outdoorsy person, but either way, the city itself is banal, provincial.

apparent Economist magazine agree with you
http://globalnews.ca/news/2017753/vancouver-is-pleasant-but-mind-numbingly-boring-says-economist/

What does it mean to 'claim the title of craft beer'?

I don't really mean to get too hung up on specific examples, i'm just talking about more of a self-awareness of our uniqueness or identity or authenticity or however you want to call it, and the opportunities/inspirations/visioning this awareness can generate. Being self-referential is so much more healthy to our sense of community than looking to other places for their ideas. Yes, there are common trends that happen everywhere, but in the best cities these trends develop very local interpretations that make them feel unique.

... but you're right in a sense because Toronto's identity and culture is already right there in front of our eyes (as with craft beer) it's just whether or not we choose to acknowledge it, celebrate it locally or promote it outside. There's nothing more boring to me than the whole 'Toronto has no culture/history/identity' meme, especially when it comes from someone in Toronto. Of course we do. Unfortunately it's 'peameal bacon', ignored and often unloved locally, lacking the imprimatur of being from anywhere else that's perceived to be cooler, more established or more credible.

LOL... According to this hack, Vancouver is unique and has this 'vibe' lacking in Toronto.

Whatever he's smoking, I want. Vancouver is probably one of the dullest cities I've ever visited, and maybe that's cause I'm not an outdoorsy person, but either way, the city itself is banal, provincial.

People in Vancouver share massive love for their city, their region and their great 'outdoors'. It may not be your 'cup of tea' but the bigger issue is that their sense of identity, their confidence and their passion projects outwards and draws people in... and people (like the hack writer in question) are better able to connect to it in a way that many find difficult with Toronto.

We had two great fires and the Great Postwar Parking Lot Expansion. So much of our history was lost to those disasters.

Many of the parking lots in the 1950s and 1960s were former industrial lands with old purpose-built buildings on them and not much else. Front St East was one of the few areas where a lot of buildings were razed for parking lots. On the west side of downtown, the parking lots along King/Wellington/Front were formerly freight terminals with railway tracks and trucking docks. The parking lot expansion really just made temporary use of those industrial lands as the owners could make easy money on parking. Other places where buildings were torn down for parking lots included the Barclay Hotel and Front & Simcoe and King St at Toronto St, but based on looking at old pictures, a lot of the parking lots were industrial lands or had been vacant for a long time, basically dead space. What's interesting is that it took so long for those vacant lands to be developed. Some was redeveloped early, such as the south side of Front by the CN Tower, and the area of Roy Thomson Hall and Metro Hall, but a lot of the land remained as parking lots until the condo boom started. Getting those parking lots finally developed has made the downtown feel a lot more cohesive as the streetscapes are continuous and having people live there keeps the streets vibrant.

People in Vancouver share massive love for their city, their region and their great 'outdoors'. It may not be your 'cup of tea' but the bigger issue is that their sense of identity, their confidence and their passion projects outwards and draws people in... and people (like the hack writer in question) are better able to connect to it in a way that many find difficult with Toronto.

So they share a love for anything outside their city, got it. Speaks volumes to the offerings of Vancouver itself.

I believe we are Urban Toronto, not Outdoors Toronto.

Ah, Vancouver....love to visit, but I'd hate to live there. The last time I was there I asked a bouncer if there were any jungle nights that evening. He told me to go to Toronto for that. Naturally, I cried laughing. To each their own, I guess.

Now, about that authenticity: I think Toronto is very authentic in its odd frontier town gone mad sort of way. It's this large, important city that I refer to as the world's largest airport terminal (owing to the variety of people here) yet it has this awesome frontier town feel. I'm talking the much-maligned overhead cabling, the shabby streetscapes, the grime. I've said it before, but I love that about Toronto. That just IS its character. Sure, you can call it sad, ugly, terrible, but it is what it is and some people love it for what it is and not despite what it is.

Besides, when it's the middle of a snowstorm and it's minus 30 out, it really is like some forsaken frontier outpost. Personally, I think that is what makes Toronto authentic. It was never a globally important city, it was just a forgotten backwater outpost. Well, it still retains that feel and sensibility to it while also having exploded into a world not its own.

Back