News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

Big Ass S

I'm starting to believe that the people at Scotiabank Arena have some serious self-esteem issues

Facing Bay St and the Gardiner Westbound

View attachment 229377

They couldn't take down the We The North banner first? It runs vertically all the way down/behind the new sign.

They couldn't take down the We The North banner first? It runs vertically all the way down/behind the new sign.
Maybe a time capsule thing going on. When the arena re-brands yet again, the big "S" will be removed to reveal what life was like in the early '20's.

Cladding Up Date

New Digital Screen being installed facing the Gardiner at the west end of the arena

IMG_2686.jpeg

The cladding almost finished on the south side facing the Gardiner

IMG_2687.jpeg

Cladding still in progress along the eastside facing Bay Street. They removed the old 'We The North" sign before that added the new cladding

IMG_2688.jpeg

They really should paint the roof of the arena black.

I know it's bad for environment but it will complete the look.

Katherine Woodard never imagined she'd be complaining about a sign, but she says the giant glowing "S" outside Scotiabank Arena is so bright it's keeping her up at night.

"I find it frustrating," she told CBC Toronto. "It definitely has added stress to my life."

Woodard's condo is located near the corner of Yonge Street and Lake Shore Boulevard, about a block east of the arena, which is at Bay Street and Lake Shore.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/scotiabank-arena-bright-lights-complaint-1.5469031

Katherine Woodard never imagined she'd be complaining about a sign, but she says the giant glowing "S" outside Scotiabank Arena is so bright it's keeping her up at night.

"I find it frustrating," she told CBC Toronto. "It definitely has added stress to my life."

Woodard's condo is located near the corner of Yonge Street and Lake Shore Boulevard, about a block east of the arena, which is at Bay Street and Lake Shore.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/scotiabank-arena-bright-lights-complaint-1.5469031

Scotiabank Arena began to align to the by-law a few weeks ago but there have been issues with consistency, e.g. the text is dimmed but the S isn’t, vice versa, everything is dimmed except a few letters, etc.

It’s fine that there are technical issues, just reflects poorly on MLSE that they had to have their arm twisted to start obeying the by-law in the first place, and there’s been no response the multiple times people have reached out trying to resolve these brightness issues.

Woodard could ask her superintendent to install thick curtains for her bedroom window.

Woodard could ask her superintendent to install thick curtains for her bedroom window.

Yeah I have blackout/thick curtains like almost everyone downtown - these curtains are to darken a room against general light pollution, i.e. that pale yellow/orange light that I don’t mind actually, the curtains are more to block the morning sun if I want to sleep in on summer weekends. In the winters I like to keep the curtains open so I wake up to natural sunlight.

This complaint is for is an unnatural blue or red light that is bursting into bedrooms. First, curtains don’t block the daytime brightness in this complaint, it comes through the sides and looks like lasers across the walls and ceiling. Some people can ignore it, some can’t. Secondly, being *forced* to draw curtains removes the option to wake up to natural light.

There are by-laws in place that aim to find a balance on interactive signage and disruptive light pollution, agreed upon by both businesses and residents. If there wasn’t, there couldn’t be residences downtown, and we couldn’t have the city we have. It’s unfortunate that so many people seem to default to the “deal with it/figure it out” response for people who choose to live downtown, instead of simply agreeing that by-laws should be respected.

Buy some better black out curtains and install them over a roller shade. That's what i use when i work night shifts. They do a great job blocking out the bright blazing sun.

Back