News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

Anybody there today for the Raptors' Way reveal? Anything else changed about the square as this was the official launch?

Anybody there today for the Raptors' Way reveal? Anything else changed about the square as this was the official launch?

Not really. The change was ceremonial much like the Red Mile in Calgary or the Sens Mile in Ottawa. This is not a formal change like they did with Peter Street when they renamed a section Blue Jays Way.

I work at 65/55 Bremner which is in the renamed section but nobody here was sent anything indicating a change in the street name.

Basically this is a ceremonial renaming like when they renamed part of Duncan Street "Ed Mirvish Way". Ed Mirvish Way is still host to 11 Duncan Street.

John Tory on Twitter:

The status quo way of doing thing, saying you're changing something without really changing it;)

It made sense in 1992 when the Jays won the world series because nothing was there that could possible affected by a name change but it would have been a logistical nightmare to change the street name officially because of the 872 units at 65/55 Bremner.

It made sense in 1992 when the Jays won the world series because nothing was there that could possible affected by a name change but it would have been a logistical nightmare to change the street name officially because of the 872 units at 65/55 Bremner.
Yes, the City have (sensibly) adopted very strict rules about street name changes for that very reason. They require support from 75% of addresses affected,. "The request is to rename a street requires documented support from 75 per cent of property owners that abut the Street. " See: https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/planning-development/street-naming/

Yes, the City have (sensibly) adopted very strict rules about street name changes for that very reason. They require support from 75% of addresses affected,. "The request is to rename a street requires documented support from 75 per cent of property owners that abut the Street. " See: https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/planning-development/street-naming/

Sensible is correct. As a huge Raptors fan, season tickets and all, I do *not* want my address to say "Raptors Way".

I feel like as long as google maps accepts both street names in searches, it doesn't seem like a huge issue for it to list the ceremonial name on the map.
Nevertheless I've sent in a correction to Google Maps with a detailed explanation. We'll see how they handle it.

Back