News   May 21, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 648     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 493     0 

Sapphire Update, out-of-business (Stinson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks! I thought I already said that way back Cassius?

Just kidding once again.

I really like the 2-storey "townhomes in the sky". I like the idea of having a wrap around terrace as large as is shown in the original rendering on page 1 of this thread. I think the 2-storey approach will do a good job of ensuring the recessed living room has plenty of light and it's okay if the bedrooms on the 2nd floor are not as illuminated. I love terraces but unless a building is actually terraced, they usually end up being large dark balconies.

How would the glass appear from the inside? It's obviously not going to be 2-storeys in a sheet. How many crossbars and vertical bars would be needed and how much would they detract from the appearance?

Cass. Im just curious, and if you dont want to answer the question that is fine, but, is it not odd that you have been given quite a bit of control over the design of this project? If you are an architect or a technologist than I could understand, but I just find it a little odd that this process wouldnt be handled by the architecture firm Harry has hired. I might also note that you should be careful about involving yourself too deeply in such a process if you do not have the credentials, largely because of liability issues that may arise if something goes wrong with the building (this is why all architects and most technologists are required to carry insurance).

Thanks for sharing your concerns Antiloop.

Harry likes to provide his visions to the architects before they begin any serious work on making a structurally sound building. Unfortunately, he realizes he cannot always convey his ideas in a way that they can understand, interpret and put onto paper, which is where I come in.

I've been brought on to try and interpret what he has in his mind and put it into images. He's also said numerous times that he values my input on the design of the building which is why I've come up with a few things which weren't directly from Harry's head. He's even asked that I run ideas by the "armchair experts" to see what you guys think, which is why I said people are listening. I bounce my ideas off him and hope they get his creative juices flowing.

Once we have something put together he thinks represents his ideas, he'll take it over to the architects to base their work on. Obviously what I render out before that point and how the tower is designed by them in the end won't be exactly the same. They have an entire team to determine what is possible and what's not, what building materials etc but he doesn't need those skills to help him visualize what's in his mind.

edit:
this isn't the first time I've been requested to assist in the design/vision of a building. Just never anything quite this tall.

Cass: The reply is appreciated. Reading through some of the past posts it seemed as though this was, as you put it, an exercise to put some of Harry's ideas on paper. Best of luck with this project.

GUYS HERES OUR CHANCE TO OFFER INPUT TO HARRY, AND NOT WRITE THERADS AND THEARDS ON HOW BAD OR DISSAPOINTED YOU ARE WITH THE DESIGN. PUT IN YOUR 2 CENTS.

I will be honest. this version of the design does not impress me. i think its too busy. perhaps just the steps on the top few floors in would look good in the skyline. Looks way too busy.

^ i actually like the business is some of those renders. A jumble of units. Kind of like a Habitat in the sky. That's green.

Nice rendering Cassius. A part of me likes the building but another part of me thinks it looks like something they might have built in Houston or Dallas during the 1980s.

"He's even asked that I run ideas by the "armchair experts" to see what you guys think, which is why I said people are listening. I bounce my ideas off him and hope they get his creative juices flowing."

Perhaps we should start charging consultantcy fees...

Cass, I like the second-last one, but you're right that the roof doesn't integrate well. What if it was more like a step pyramid?

The latest one seems too cluttered; the roof is cleaner but it doesn't match with the sides now.

This is very interesting. Cassius is using the forum as a feedback section for his rendering. I wish all developers in Toronto were forced to come to us first with their design plans :)

i like the last rendering but i think the diagonal steps on the north side (below the terraces) are verging on 80s "throw in some steps and pyramids because they look cool" pomo. the steps on scotia are more subtle and look like they belong. but i like the idea of the one vertical step running the height of the north side. i think that alone would help unite the terraces with the rest of the building plus it would reduce the slab effect.

I don't like it (especially the last one)

perhaps if the main body of the tower had a few subtle tapers in opposing directions the top will fit in more

Maybe cut a hole in the middle--a slit through the building to lessen the perceived bulk--sort of like that building in rotterdam that was completed last year. Perhaps a white cladding with the "slit" coloured red and iron-free glass?

Better, why doesn't harry just call clewes in? And team up with context? (Reality check: context wouldn't deal with a fool like harry nor would clewes want to be associated with him either.)

Or make it green--but a cool green like grass; the motif=a tree rising over bay st.

Thanks so far guys, keep the comments coming in :)

So what I'm getting so far is that the "staircase" effect is too loud for this building and it's losing it's overall elegance due to them, which I would agree with. Will try a few other design ideas and post them for more comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back