News   Jul 25, 2024
 782     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 683     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 514     0 

Sapphire Update, out-of-business (Stinson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be high up and seen by almost no one

This thing will be in the face of everyone coming down Bay and will be very visible from City Hall.

This thing will be in the face of everyone coming down Bay and will be very visible from City Hall.

Except that when the roof element starts at 50 stories up, one is going to have to be some distance back from the tower to get a good angle to view it. And even then unless you are looking at from the window of a nearby office tower or condo several dozen floors above the city, you will be far enough away that details arent going to be noticeable. A simple pattern or use of colors is about all that most people are going to be able to distinguish from most vantage points so treating this as though it were at street level and putting great amounts of detail into the roof doesnt make a lot of sense. The main focus should simply be on ensuring that the roof element as an overall part of the buildings fits with the rest of it.

In regards to the previous proposal being rejected, I know it was in regards to shadow issues. Is there now a height limit on the site? If so what is the height limit. The previous proposal was listed at 1121' w spire, and was 1020' to the tip of the globe. Makes me wonder how on earth would harry get that proposal approved?

CASS:

Absolutely, go ahead... but, if you know my real name (don't say it Billy), please put your own sig on it instead or it will die... The Harry has already "****ed me over" in a branding exercise and I called him an A-Hole, other than that, there are no obstacles :)....

50/50 if he goes for it, ok? We'll each get a dinner out!!

Seriously, you me, maybe whistler.... (and some whacko Dubai sheik) let's take over this town from Mr. Clewes and AA.

I already have the company identity: "Clewe-less in Toronto".

Yes, go ahead.

;-)

But really, go ahead. It's great to talk with you 'cause you "see it" right away.

3Dementia, I really love your design.

The one that Harry is contemplating....eh. Its nothing I am getting excited about.

LOL, Whistler. I swear I didn't mention it - lucky guess. Seriously, that's quite the coincidence.

The interiors have an eerily embalmed-from-another-era look to them. I wouldn't be surprised to see an old B&W staff photo on one of the walls with a young Jack Nicholson grinning madly in the front row.

3Dementia - That's one damn fine looking mod you've done there. Without seeing it in 3 dimentions it's a little difficult to tell exactly what's going on but maybe I'll pass it by Harry in one incarnation or another if that's ok with you?

P.S.

Alky, thanks for the props and thanks for noticing.

Simple geometry really, and still way cheaper than curves (are you listening/).

Seriously, you me, maybe whistler.... (and some whacko Dubai sheik) let's take over this town from Mr. Clewes and AA.

3Dementia, do you know something about this whacko Dubai Sheik that's been hounding me?

This is a funcky new direction for Saphire....the townhouses-in-the-sky bit is somewhat similar to the proposed 80 South Street in NY...also has in common the fact that both are in...ahem...non-traditional areas for high-end residential.

Why stop the balconies so high up? What happens if you continue them half way down - keeping the zig-zig started from the top? Sure, you're then just looking into the sheraton and what not but it still is cooler then just looking onto the sheraton from inside you condo.

I like the second and third as well. With the second one made even better by the addition of a green roof - trees etc in the atrium - or better yet exposed to the air. The final Cass design is also appealing.

One question: Does one want a balcony 60 odd stories up? Wouldn't the wind be a major factor? Could make for fun dinner parties!!

Where is the mechanical floor on this building? And where is the window washing platform supposed to have it track?

CASS:

Another thought. Buildings with terraces/setbacks can also look good with some "layering" (a bit like Scotia)... subtle depth changes that help break up the rectangular mass.

Obviously the floorplates become more complicated (construction costs) but I''d wager a whole bunch of right angles is still cheaper than "curves".

Even looks good in vert. ;-)

saplayered.jpg

BTW Whistler... it was a total coincidence re: my sheik comment... though now I'm intrigued.

3Dementia:
Cool. I'l try and interpret this into something 3D and post either today or tomorrow to see if it's where you're going with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back