News   May 21, 2024
 185     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.2K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Sapphire Update, out-of-business (Stinson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I like the last one the best so far. To me, all of the designs are too boxy. While the latest incarnation was way too cylindrical these somehow are too block like. MarkSimpson had a cool idea - I think if Harry wants to make a splash he has to go big. You can still maintain the low shadow effect of the peaked rooftop with a more daring and radical design. Twists, curves, pops and bends.

CASS:

I happy to say....... I finally f#@!&*% 'in nailed it.

Harry will dig this design and it works in green.

:b

winner.jpg

(joke) ;)

That's too funny. You guys are like geniuses. Really though, some of those earlier renderings could look quite elegant on the skyline. So much better thant the deodorant tube.

I like the most recent too Cassius - I look forward to its evolution...

...and I think it's 'time' to move 3Dementia up to 4, he's earned it.

Cassiusa: I like your last concept. Very sleek with strong vertical lines. This would look very elegant in blue with a dazzlingly illuminated roof that would twinkle in the night sky. Sweet! Maybe you could mock up versions in different colours, night and day?

3D- I like your rooftop design. The shaft does seems a little reminiscent of 1 King West, no?

Harry loves cheap precast. And you guys want blue glass. So harry builds the biggest farm silo. lol.

Just go for a classic, minimalistic modern tower with a couple of cutouts--say a "v" cut near the top. Kill the fussy massing cuz i doubt stinson could pull it off. Have balconies on one side only, if at all. 2-storey residences would be a bonus. Some nice hedges growing up the side would be cool too. Zigarat style.

Or copy Alsop and use canadian plywood. The world's biggest homeless shelter anyone?

I am just wondering- are you doing the desigining or is there an architect on board for this project?

Also, I always find it very hard to design in 3D- in my opinion, it is much better and more efficient, when you sketch your ideas out and as you go along, fine tune them and finally put it into the 3D.

Is this the approach you take as well? Or are you design

Usually the problem is that there are too many tools and things which can warp and affect your design, which while you are working look cool, but are in the end only gimmicks- you know what i mean?

p5

harry has all of these designs up on thw wall in his office @ 1kw. he is meeting with the city today.

It's still being worked on. I'll see if I can post something soon.

edit:
Oh, do you mean at the meeting? Sorry, I have no clue yet.

February Sapphire Newsletter

An update on the “Sapphire Tower†development

We have now had the opportunity to meet with the City Planners.
This week, our architect, Peter Turner provided a variety of design options, all of which respected the shadow limitations that they have requested.
The planners indicated that they were favourably impressed by the progress, and encouraged us to proceed with further drawings.
We also spoke with the office of the local councilor (Pam McConnell) to schedule a meeting regarding the ongoing reviews process, now that we are heading in a direction that the councilor can support.
While the basic outline of the building and the interiors are proceeding, we are still wrestling with a variety of claddings and shadings, and your comments are appreciated.
Approach #1 uses a mosaic of colours and indents to express the various horizontal layers of different interior uses (one colour for the office units, another for large suites, another for the smaller studios, another for the hotel, and another for the terraced penthouses).
Approach #2 is a more of a vertical sculpturing of the building.
Bear in mind that we are still playing with a variety of colours.

We will be holding an information meeting on the project on Tuesday, February 21 st at 7:00 p.m. in the 12 th floor Chairman’s lounge at One King West.

Regards,

Harry Stinson

New_Sapphire_Tower_Feb_newsletter_3.jpg

New_Sapphire_Tower_Feb_newsletter.jpg

Thanks!

Approach 2 and the renderings corresponding to it looks *really* interesting, with the potential of being a classy icon.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back