News   Jul 16, 2024
 356     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 510     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 631     2 

Sammy Yatim Shooting

None of these "facts" or opinions of anonymous internet chat forum people as to what should and shouldn't be done in these situations are based on zero knowledge.
Okay, I'll bite. You're saying ALL opinions we're seeing on anonymous internet chat forums are based on some level of knowledge?

Okay, I'll bite. You're saying ALL opinions we're seeing on anonymous internet chat forums are based on some level of knowledge?

Since it was such an obvious grammatical error, I assumed people knew what I meant. But to satisfy the pedants in the crowd, let's switch none out for most.

I feel like there is an overarching assumption (at least on my part) that cops are obligated to risk their lives - it comes with the territory. And as an elective career choice, I would assume it's part of the job - hence the 'hazard pay' incorporated in their salaries.
\

The risk comes with having to confront the deadly threat as a job requirement. Protecting yours and the public's safety is priority #1. No part of the job or training says you need to lose or give the advantage to the threat.

Since it was such an obvious grammatical error, I assumed people knew what I meant.
If you go back and review your post(s) above, perhaps you'll notice that the intended point(s) therein are nearly indecipherable.

Here's a quick reference on sentence structure, http://www.infoplease.com/cig/grammar-style/sentence-structure-fab-four.html.

I'm no scholar and make my share of typos, but I always believe that if it's worth writing, it's worth writing it well, and in a form others can understand. Otherwise it's just gibberish.

gabe:

Well, time to arm the nursing homes with tasers. On a more serious note - the police in most of UK is not routinely armed; are there any overwhelming reasons as to why ours need to be?

AoD

Last edited:
If you go back and review your post(s) above, perhaps you'll notice that the intended point(s) therein are nearly indecipherable.

If the context of my position on the matter is not obvious to you, then I might suggest it may have something to do with your ability to comprehend.

In any event, it's a digression.

gabe:

Well, time to arm the nursing homes with tasers. On a more serious note - the police in most of UK is not routinely armed; are there any overwhelming reasons as to why ours need to be?

AoD

UK isnt nextdoor to the worlds largest gun store. Our history and heritage is behind the barrel of the gun.

jusbokeh:

We are next door to the world largest gun store but our crime rate and crime patterns are more similar to the UK than the US - I highly, highly doubt that's the result of our cops carrying guns. And our history and heritage can't be more not behind the barrel of the gun either.

AoD

gabe:

AoD

Yes, workplace health and safety being one, there are also numerous instances of unarmed police in the UK being unable to stop or intervene in some situations such as recently when a British soldier was hacked to death in a terrorist attack, the attackers were running around lose for a fairly long time before armed police were able to get there.

AoD

According to the survey, 82% of officers in the UK did not want to be armed with guns.

In most of Europe and UK they do things different. When they arrest suspects they don't make it a big TV spectacle. Seven German police officers were able to arrest Luka Magnotta, who made Interpol's most wanted list, without a pointing a single gun or using a weapon. If it happened in Toronto, they would have called in the SWAT team, bomb squad, police choppers, snipers, plus 50 extra officers for back up with guns pointed.

Now that the Toronto Police have tasers, its just a matter of time before they start requesting higher fire power and armored tanks. Toronto police will become a lot more militarized just like police in the big cities in the US.

Surely 1 dead cop is better than 10 civilians shot by cops unnecessarily!

Has to be the most insensitive and inflammatory comment of the year. Police and first responders hold position of importance in our society because their jobs are to protect and help US. A dead or injured police officer to me implies significant danger to me and other members of the public. That is why killing of a police officer holds a greater penalty that killing of a civillian. Someone willing to eliminate a defender of the peace is liable to do anything and so is a grave danger to the public.

Making such a comment just shows how much of a bias you have in discussions such as this...

Has to be the most insensitive and inflammatory comment of the year. Police and first responders hold position of importance in our society because their jobs are to protect and help US. A dead or injured police officer to me implies significant danger to me and other members of the public. That is why killing of a police officer holds a greater penalty that killing of a civillian. Someone willing to eliminate a defender of the peace is liable to do anything and so is a grave danger to the public.

Making such a comment just shows how much of a bias you have in discussions such as this...
That's unnecessarily insulting.

Is the life of a police officer worth more than a life of anyone else?

Would one dead cop be better than 100,000 civilians shot by cops unnecessarily? I think everyone would agree yes.

Would 100,000 dead cops be better than 1 civilian shot by cops unnecessarily? I think everyone would agree no.

Clearly there is a line (or a band). I'm simply trying to ascertain where it is, and compare it to where we are at.

Simply having the discussion doesn't imply bias. If anything, by starting at 10 dead civilians to a dead cop, my bias is pro-cop!

Back