News   Aug 09, 2024
 735     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 639     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.5K     2 

Ryerson: Master Plan

They looked at it, when it was freshly on the market, as a site to build new residences within. They backed away once the costs were estimated.

re: Ryerson/ Metropolis

What is the status at the moment regarding Metropolis? Is Ryerson still going to be using theatres as lecture spaces?

Ryerson, is in a very interesting position as a school- it is very much a part of the downtown- integrated into multiple neighbourhoods, both tall and short and has the luxery of really being an urban campus. There will always be interesting spaces for them to develop, but obviously this will come with a hefty price-tag...

p5

Re: re: Ryerson/ Metropolis

I don't like the proposed closure of Gould Street through the campus. Closed streets are a bad idea most of the time ... it would surely be a dead zone during the months the University is closed.

Maple Leaf Gardens is a Toronto "icon" and as such won't be touched on the outside, and some are adamant that it shouldn't be on the inside either. It's been sitting there like an oversized mausoleum. I suggest moving it to Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, where it could serve as final resting place for expired hockey players; then Ryerson maybe could actually make some productive use of the site. :)

I continue to hope that Ryerson can cut some kind of deal to build something facing directly on the east side of Yonge. I note their advice that discussions are continuing with Sam the Record Man, but how about several other properties on that block, which are, to put it mildly, not the most impressive examples of architecture, not to mention several downright slummy and tacky occupants.

(I do realize that slummy and tacky have their place, just not here, thank you!)

Slummy and tacky don't have their place here? Are we talking the same Yonge Street? If anywhere it belongs here. That's what makes Yonge Street what it is.

Isn't there any space west of Ryerson that could be purchased to expand? I don't know if they need to be centred around Yonge Street/Bay Street. There must be some properties on Jarvis.

What's the future of World's Biggest Bookstore?

There are a lot of vacant lots on Church Street

Slummy and tacky don't have their place here?

Vision of Yonge Street, proceeding south from Bloor toward Dundas: From Bloor to Wellesley: slummy and tacky, interrupted by unfortunate, I mean "Uptown", condo. From Wellesley to College: slummy and tacky, interrupted by hotel on east side of Yonge just north of College, which is simply tacky. Should be declared a heritage district.

From College to Gerrard: College Park complex, future ROCP, seniors' residence on east side, nice streetscape with median.

From Gerrard to Dundas: decent street retail on west side, followed by Atrium on Bay; raze most of east side and turn it over to Ryerson to form a real west boundary for their campus (excluding a couple of heritage buildings and hopefully excluding Sam's, which is not exactly "heritage" but has a lot of cultural significance in this town).

Everything has its place and forms a cohesive whole!

You're welcome! :D

From College to Gerrard: College Park complex, future ROCP, seniors' residence on east side, nice streetscape with median.

What "streetscape"? Though the street itself is extra-wide (thank 30s Eatons College-era expropriations, with an 80s median tossed in for good measure), as it stands, it verges on being the least cohesive stretch of Yonge...

RE

Theres no place for cars on Gould within the campus during classes. Not many cars use it in the first place, and students are walking on the road and j-walking it all the time. It would be so much better if it was closed off to cars. They did it during frosh week and it was awsome. The pub even set up a patio by the student campus centre on Gould, which took up a good chunck of the road and it was full.

I doubt the area would be dead in the summer when school is out too since many people living in the area will still be walking through as they do now. Theres also continuing education and summer school which will extend the campus life a bit more.

Re: RE

Judging from its current buildings, Ryerson would be the perfect organization to bring slummy and tacky to Yonge Street.

Re: RE

Having the unique experience of living in the only "residential" building on Gould and working evenings and weekends on Gould, I've always opposed a full-fledged closure of the street. The area does get extremely dead during evenings and weekends in an area that is populated by a mixture of students and crackheads. Closing the street would create a huge dead zone, and since Ryerson's #1 solution for dead zones is high-intensity lighting I fear what would become of the street.

Serious consideration should be given to closing the street 8am - 8pm, Mon - Fri, Sept - May.

Back