News   Jul 12, 2024
 880     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 788     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 328     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

Anybody know how Soho Street in the Queen West neighbourhood got its name?

Let's face it, uptown, midtown, terms like that are very NYC wanna be. People in Toronto usually don't use those terms,

I think it's perfectly okay for Toronto, or any city, to borrow terms from other cities. Terms like "downtown" and "uptown" are excellent at describing the geographical relation between Toronto's CBD and its northern suburbs (Eglinton or North York).

If we can't borrow terms like "downtown" and "uptown", then what about all the other terms we use for things in this city? Let's stop calling our underground trains the "subway" because it sounds New Yorkish. We can call it the "Metro" but that would be borrowing from the French, who borrowed from London. Where would the re-naming stop?

While we're at it, let's stop calling this board the "Urban Toronto Forum", because the Forum is a place in Rome.

North York is not Uptown...until 1998 it was a separate town altogether.

^ true dat.

I was out for a walk tonight, and was thinking that you could make a case, in the context of the GTA as a whole, that "downtown" is everything south of the Davenport escarpment, at the bottom of the hill, between the Don and, say, Dufferin. It makes a certain visceral sense.

Notwithstanding, I was always told that "downtown" was everything from Bloor on down; "uptown" was a euphemism for the corner of Yonge and Eligible, and all points north were just kinda out there...

Back on topic...

The Canadian Tire will not be a full Canadian Tire store. It will not have an Automotive department or a Garden Centre or carry summer seasonal products (eg. patio furniture, brick and stone etc.)

Im working with head office now and brought up the store last week. I was even told that I can easily be transfered to the location if I want, and its something im looking into since Im going to be in Ryerson in sept.

Surely it is all relative? If you live at Yonge and Sheppard then "downtown" might begin at Eglinton, but if you live at Yonge and Eglinton then "downtown" might begin at Bloor? My latest young gentleman caller, who lives on the fringes of Toronto near Pickering, takes transit "downtown" to visit me in Riverdale.

Babel: the true centre of the universe.

Kind of like the magnetic poles... from time to time, he wanders a bit.

Re: Welcome to New York North

"Where is downtown? I always thought roughly south of Bloor to the lake, DVP to maybe Bathurst. Just my 2 cents."

'Officially'

Don River to the east
Lake to the south
Bloor, Church, Davenport, Dupont to the north
Bathurst from Dupont to Queen and Dufferin from Queen to the lake out west

A MASTER PLAN FOR THE FUTURE
According to accepted standards for Ontario universities, Ryerson has only two-thirds of the space
it needs for a University of its size. While the addition of recent new buildings moves us in the right
direction, serving our four key priorities requires a more concerted approach.
“RU The Future – Ryerson’s Master Plan†is intended to deliver that institutional strategy. I am grateful
to the members of the Master Planning Coordinating Group for helping us in the critical initial stages
earlier this year. Together we discussed how an overall campus concept will help us assess and seek
opportunities not just for today, but for the future. When we have a chance to acquire a building or a
piece of land, it will be viewed as part of a long-term strategic plan for building the campus. Our options
will be considered in the context of space shortages, the budget, student engagement priorities, and the
elements needed to attract top faculty and researchers. With a Master Plan, the chances are greater that
opportunity will come to us, as potential partners see themselves fitting into the bigger picture.
I would like to recognize the importance of our relationship with the City of Toronto in moving the
Master Plan forward. Ryerson has the tremendous benefit of working with Mayor David Miller’s office
and with Councillor Kyle Rae, who has been such a strong supporter of Ryerson over the years. The
help of our municipal colleagues in seeking opportunities to improve and enhance our part of the
downtown core is invaluable. As I said in my speech to the Canadian Club in March, we have a particular
responsibility to be a City builder since our campus is integrated to such an extent with its surroundings.
This year we will experience visible progress on our plans. In the summer we issued a formal Request
for Proposal (RFP) inviting submissions from professional design and planning teams. We hope to
choose and announce the successful team by mid-October. This team will work closely with the Ryerson
community and our neighbours to develop a blueprint for a revitalized campus for the next 20 years.
Communication is a first-order priority, and a Master Plan web site has been launched at www.
ryerson.ca/about/masterplan/. Last month, a modular Presentation Centre arrived on campus.
It’s located on Victoria Street across from the Library Building, and over the next 16 months it will be
the hub of activity for everything we’re going to do to develop the Master Plan. It will include two offices
and a large room for seminars, presentations, and meetings related to Master Planning. There will be
regularly scheduled opportunities for the community to visit the Presentation Centre.
The Master Plan will not be a panacea for all our space problems. Nor can we put everything on hold
while waiting for the solutions it will provide. We need to make ongoing decisions that contribute to the
enhancement of our campus environment. For example, we are looking at various options for a gallery
and research centre to house Ryerson’s Black Star Historical Black & White Photography Collection, and
will bring a recommendation to the Board of Governors in the near future. We are considering uses for
the ‘old’ Business Building, and discussing the Metropolis development being built over our Bookstore
and Parking lot. Talks are continuing with Sam the Record Man, and we are liaising with our community
Business Improvement Association on related possibilities.
I am particularly proud to say that this year you will see the beginnings of an exciting landmark and
environmental design program for our campus. This program, which will involve extensive signage
and the Ryerson brandmark on streets and university buildings, responds to students and alumni who
made a special point of saying they would like their pride in Ryerson reflected in a stronger identity for
the University throughout the neighborhood. Features of the program will be rolled out as required
approvals are obtained from the City and other jurisdictions.

Looks like I'll be working on the master plan at some point in the next 4 years since they are giving Planning students a chance to participate in this.

Heres some of the priorities for the plan...
Immediate priorities include:

* An innovative learning centre that will provide a new and expanded library and more quality study space for students, and also provide areas for community use;
* A welcoming front door and an inviting presence on Yonge Street, which will run through the Ryerson campus when the new Faculty of Business building opens on Bay Street in fall 2006;
* 2,000 more student residence spaces, integrated within the Ryerson neighbourhood;
* A gallery and research centre to house and showcase Ryerson's Black Star Historical Black & White Photography Collection. A remarkable visual legacy of the 20th century, this internationally-renowned collection of almost 300,000 black and white photographs is considered the most significant cultural contribution ever made to a university in Canada;
* Ongoing and proactive work with Ryerson's neighbour, Covenant House, and other social service agencies to provide education and employment alternatives that will reduce the number of homeless young people;
* Closure of Ryerson's section of Gould Street to traffic in order to create a more pedestrian-friendly campus;
* Enhancement of green spaces to make them inviting, beautiful and safe.

On a related note, the Ryersonian reported that the university has acquired 105 Bond St. for 8.5M.

Article to follow.

AoD

I noticed that the north end of Metropolis has stalled. Is that because Ryerson is having it redesigned to meet its needs?

The have begun the next level of steel at the south end, I think that will be level 7? This monster now makes Sears look small in comparison.

I was down there last night, and the steel framing at the south end along Dundas Street is now all the way up to the top of the concrete stair columns, so I suppose they are all the way up to Level 10 now.

Back