News   Jul 12, 2024
 825     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 746     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 316     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

Re: The Star: Boldness needed to redo Ryerson

Wylie, I would imagine that when Hume talks about creating a main street for Ryerson, he's thinking about the St. George makeover through the U of T, which slowed down traffic and created a much more pedestrian friendly environment. I'm sure he's not advocating for a busier street.

Re: The Star: Boldness needed to redo Ryerson

And buildings like Jorgensen Hall, a true '70s monstrosity, don't bring much to the precinct.
That old hack anti-Brutalist bias looms again. I still think Kerr's the truer monstrosity to be vanquished...

"and created a much more pedestrian friendly environment."

I don't remember St. George from before the reno, but based on how embarrassingly, putridly awful it is now, your statement means it must have been like walking through lava before.

Do you call it putridly awful in regards to the streetscaping, or what became of the streetscaping after large chunks were dug up for underground services repairs, upgrades, etc? I remember the streetscaping being pretty attractive when it was first done. Prior to that job, St. George was basically a run-down four lane minor arterial, which had the effect of bisecting the campus.

It's definitely an improvement over what was there before, but there are definitely issues that point to the design being based more on aesthetics than on pedestrian-friendliness. First of all, it seems to be doing a terrible job of standing up to wear-and-tear. Another problem is taht it produces strange narrowings of the sidewalk that create severe congestion at class change times.

"Do you call it putridly awful in regards to the streetscaping, or what became of the streetscaping after large chunks were dug up for underground services repairs, upgrades, etc? I remember the streetscaping being pretty attractive when it was first done. Prior to that job, St. George was basically a run-down four lane minor arterial, which had the effect of bisecting the campus."

The attractiveness of the streetscaping (which is debatable) is not the issue - pedestrian-friendliness is. Sure, much of it looks nice in July when there's no one around and you're strolling here and there with a camera in hand, but the streetscaping inexcusably hinders pedestrian movement, and every hour on the hour when thousands of people flood onto the street, it's absurdly, offensively inadequate.

At several points the sidewalk narrows to widths where two people basically cannot comfortably pass each other. You can barely walk half a block without having to go around a concrete planter with nothing more than dead grass in it. The cobblestones that they just relaid will need to be fixed in 5 years because people will begin tripping over the the shifting ones in 3 years. They narrowed the road but replaced the lanes of traffic with raised concrete and on-street parking yet the huge mobs of people coming from St. George station didn't even get the 'luxury' of a standard width sidewalk.

It's still run-down and it still bisects the campus...maybe it is easier to jaywalk now, which is good, but god forbid you actually have to walk down the street in winter. I would not wish this mess upon Gould and Ryerson.

Another email today, this one affects me directly...

The school of Urban and Regional Planning is finally moving out of the Library building.

SURP has been given 105 Bond St. Renovations begin this semester and the building will be ready for the 2007-2008 school year.

Re: ...

Really? The plans that I was aware of called for them moving in to the former business building along with the Arts Department. But Keeble pointed out to me that the plans change constantly.

That's currently what, Campus Planning and Facilities? That's pretty crappy. I think within months of the move the feeling that SURP is in a temporary location and still wants a real home will have not gone away.

No, campus planning is next door to 105 Bond st.

Ryerson just purchased the building a few weeks ago for $8.5 million. As for the old business building, on the first day... Keeble walked into our class and said "what the hell is this piece of shit?"

He was pissed that he had to teach a class in there. Thank god its only the 1 hour session.

I still want a real home:( Im beginning to doubt I will see it in my years at Rye high.

i really can't wait to see what they will come up with. the whole campus is getting spread out. There is now a great deal of foot traffic on dundas between bay and victoria.

re: Church Street

Even though I think it would take a lot of effort to turn Church into Ryerson's main street (like punching a few more entrances into the east side of Kerr Hall and raising the ire of the preservationists), Church Street does need improvement. Church is the Ryerson version of the Gardiner (scarberiankhatru: read "railway lands"); it is a barrier that divides the campus into two parts. Other than the intersection at Gould (where the lights don't change automatically), and a nasty footbridge, there's no way to cross Church without jaywalking.

(like punching a few more entrances into the east side of Kerr Hall and raising the ire of the preservationists)
My reckoning is that no real ire would be raised over that--just because Kerr Hall is more "neo-Georgian" than "Modernist" doesn't mean its so-called disfigurement would leave preservationists hot and bothered.

Now, if they trashed the bas-reliefs, maybe that's the time to get hot and bothered...

I hate Kerr Hall. It needs to be torn down and rebuilt into something better. But first they should deal with the old business building. Those are some sad excuses for classrooms.

I'd rather be rid of the Architecture building before Kerr Hall (though I never liked it much myself, except maybe the south facade).

The theatre in Kerr Hall is the best place in the city to see a movie - evem more so since it was renovated.

Back