News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

From the Globe:

FIXING TORONTO: PART 2 OF 6: KPMB ARCHITECTS
Building a better stage for sidewalk ballet

PATRICIA CHISHOLM

Special to The Globe and Mail

It's a serious design challenge: Somehow, transform Ryerson University's collection of indifferent buildings and dated landscaping, create an oasis of academic calm and then integrate its edges into the hyper-urban gaudiness of the Yonge and Dundas area.

That's what Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects and several collaborators are doing in creating a new master plan for the campus. Most of the scheme is still under wraps, but this view of a rehabilitated Gould Street is being shown here publicly for the first time.

Seemingly small shifts are going to have a big impact in this plan (a collaboration with Daoust Lestage Inc., in association with Greenberg Consultants Inc. and IBI Group).

Removal of a low retaining wall will allow sidewalks covered in high-quality paving to sweep up to the new façade's edge. Kerr Hall, the fortress-like academic building at left, will be replaced by a new structure whose façade will strive for transparency, linking inside and outside. The entry will be at street level, not raised as it is now. Rows of trees, planted deep, and well-irrigated to maximize their longevity, will cool and adorn.

While Kerr Hall was well regarded when it was built in the 1970s, every generation views its public spaces in different ways, says KPMB partner Bruce Kuwabara. The idea is to "reconfigure the public realm and the relationship of buildings to grade in the ... precinct," he says. "The streets are critical to Ryerson's liveliness. The streets are its campus."

Referring to the European practice of transforming spaces by reorganizing elements that are already there, Mr. Kuwabara argues that transforming sidewalks can make a huge difference in terms of street life. As Jane Jacobs understood, the sidewalk is "the domain where so many occurrences happen."

And investing in public spaces can only help to create a more livable campus - which will also enhance real-estate values. "In this little picture, as innocent as it may seem, is the whole picture."

LAST WEEK IN PART 1:

A green vision from PLANT Architect for the city's Green P lots; an artificial urban forest from Janet Rosenberg + Associates.

NEXT WEEK IN PART 3:

Bessai Denegri Studio turns University Avenue into a real boulevard.

Can a few clever design moves transform Toronto's streetscape? Over the next four weeks, follow the series and check out more images at http://www.globeandmail.com

AoD

From the Globe:

FIXING TORONTO: PART 2 OF 6: KPMB ARCHITECTS
Building a better stage for sidewalk ballet

PATRICIA CHISHOLM

Special to The Globe and Mail

It's a serious design challenge: Somehow, transform Ryerson University's collection of indifferent buildings and dated landscaping, create an oasis of academic calm and then integrate its edges into the hyper-urban gaudiness of the Yonge and Dundas area.

That's what Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects and several collaborators are doing in creating a new master plan for the campus. Most of the scheme is still under wraps, but this view of a rehabilitated Gould Street is being shown here publicly for the first time.

Seemingly small shifts are going to have a big impact in this plan (a collaboration with Daoust Lestage Inc., in association with Greenberg Consultants Inc. and IBI Group).

Removal of a low retaining wall will allow sidewalks covered in high-quality paving to sweep up to the new façade's edge. Kerr Hall, the fortress-like academic building at left, will be replaced by a new structure whose façade will strive for transparency, linking inside and outside. The entry will be at street level, not raised as it is now. Rows of trees, planted deep, and well-irrigated to maximize their longevity, will cool and adorn.

While Kerr Hall was well regarded when it was built in the 1970s, every generation views its public spaces in different ways, says KPMB partner Bruce Kuwabara. The idea is to "reconfigure the public realm and the relationship of buildings to grade in the ... precinct," he says. "The streets are critical to Ryerson's liveliness. The streets are its campus."

Referring to the European practice of transforming spaces by reorganizing elements that are already there, Mr. Kuwabara argues that transforming sidewalks can make a huge difference in terms of street life. As Jane Jacobs understood, the sidewalk is "the domain where so many occurrences happen."

And investing in public spaces can only help to create a more livable campus - which will also enhance real-estate values. "In this little picture, as innocent as it may seem, is the whole picture."

LAST WEEK IN PART 1:

A green vision from PLANT Architect for the city's Green P lots; an artificial urban forest from Janet Rosenberg + Associates.

NEXT WEEK IN PART 3:

Bessai Denegri Studio turns University Avenue into a real boulevard.

Can a few clever design moves transform Toronto's streetscape? Over the next four weeks, follow the series and check out more images at http://www.globeandmail.com

AoD

Nice! Thanks for posting. Kerr Hall needs major work, and I wont really miss it if its gone.

Excellent idea regarding Gould Street. I have always believed that the "retaining wall" should go, and that Kerr Hall should have more street level entrances. However, rather than seeing the Gould sidewalk widened, I would like to see the area behind the retaining wall lined with cafes, patios, student services and offices for various student groups.

The new student centre is already a mess... parts of it are overused while other parts of it are underused. I've heard that competition for offices at the Student Centre among student groups is very great, to the point that at least one has already been kicked out of their former office.

I've heard that competition for offices at the Student Centre among student groups is very great, to the point that at least one has already been kicked out of their former office.

Yep, its true. And many are forced to share offices.

Students crunch numbers behind potential development sites
By Andy Lee
May 11, 2007

Urban and Regional Planning students examine the financial feasibility of potential development sites for Ryerson.
Urban and Regional Planning students examine the financial feasibility of potential development sites for Ryerson.

Urban and Regional Planning students once again put their minds to Ryerson’s Master Plan. This time, nine students in Dr. Steven Webber’s Advanced Planning Studio course proposed various development options and evaluated them based on their financial feasibility.

“This project has engaged students by connecting their program requirements and professional development to the Master Plan,†said Dr. Linda Grayson, Vice-President, Administration and Finance, who consulted with students on the project. “It’s been a great collaborative process and a pleasure to see how effectively the students have worked as a team.â€

Based on their initial research, students identified three sites for potential development:

* Sam the Record Man (341, 347 and 349 Yonge St.)
* Ryerson’s Co-operative Education and Internship Office (101 Gerrard St. East) and Research/Graduate Studies building (111 Gerrard St. East)
* Parking lots at 280 and 288 Church St.

For each site, they outlined various alternatives featuring different configurations of building use, financing and private investment. “It’s easy enough for planners to say something should be this high or wide, but whether it’s actually feasible to build is a whole other story,†said student Tom Schwerdtfeger.

After extensive calculations and rigorous analysis, the group recommended:

* Buying the air rights above Sam the Record Man and constructing a five-storey academic building
* Replacing the existing buildings at 101 and 111 Gerrard St. with a 25-storey tower of classrooms, student residences and private apartments
* Doubling or tripling the current density of the parking lots at 280 and 288 Church St. using mixed-use buildings

Their results were received by a panel consisting of Dr. Grayson; David Amborski, Director of the School of Urban and Regional Planning; and John Lohmus, Associate at IBI Group, one of the four firms that make up Ryerson’s Master Planning Team.

“The students did a great deal of work,†said Prof. Amborski. “It’s a useful addition to the body of work we have on the Master Plan.â€

Despite experiencing a steep learning curve and many challenges along the way, Schwerdtfeger said the project was “very rewarding†in the end. “We came in knowing nothing about feasibility except maybe how to spell it,†he said. “Having done this project, we’ve gained a much clearer undersanding of what it takes to get something on the ground.â€

As well as buying the air rights over Sam the Record Man, Ryerson should buy the soon-to-be-vacated building that now houses the Future Shop. Put Sam's air-rights on that space, and build something that connects to the Library building/Jorgenson by bridging over O'Keefe Lane. That would give Ryerson a Yonge Street presence and would leave Sam the Record Man untouched (it's historic, d*mmit!). I know it's a narrow plot of land, but I like that about it too: front it with a lot of glass facing Yonge Street to give it transparency (to make it eye-catching but sleek) while minimizing its impact on Yonge. The glassed west end of each floor could contain reading/study areas overlooking Yonge. The rest of the building could be shielded from light and contain library shelving expansion. Library stoarge expansion required... right?

Ryerson could buy it, keep the signs, and make it the RECORDS building! Get it?!? HA HA HA!

I'm sorry.

One such plan is to knock down Kerr Hall.

I must be the only person who really doesn't mind Kerr Hall. All it needs is a good reno (which it has probably never had since it was built) and some realignment of the entrances. The only problem I have with it that couldn't be fixed is the blank wall along Gerrard. It's a good use of space, pretty good materials, and serves such an interesting mix of uses. Engineering labs followed by theatre space followed by a swimming pool followed by a gym followed by a woodshop followed by a computer lab followed by fashion workspace...

Knock down Jorgenson Hall instead. ALL OF IT. PLEASE.

Globe and Mail article

The above link is very good for describing the plan, which means replacing Kerr Hall. I don't hate Kerr (parts are quite nice), but I'd be up for selective demolition, not replacing the whole thing. I don't mind the south side, particularly the central part, which looks attractive and like a university building should with the clock tower and the panels showing the types of courses one could take.

Edit: I think it was posted before, but click on the image, which is not easily repostable.

Ryerson could buy it, keep the signs, and make it the RECORDS building! Get it?!? HA HA HA!

I'm sorry.

I must be the only person who really doesn't mind Kerr Hall. All it needs is a good reno (which it has probably never had since it was built) and some realignment of the entrances. The only problem I have with it that couldn't be fixed is the blank wall along Gerrard. It's a good use of space, pretty good materials, and serves such an interesting mix of uses. Engineering labs followed by theatre space followed by a swimming pool followed by a gym followed by a woodshop followed by a computer lab followed by fashion workspace...

Knock down Jorgenson Hall instead. ALL OF IT. PLEASE.

Nooo not Jorgenson, the Library building is the one that should come down. Its the one with no windows. A new library could always be built on the Sams property.

If anything, "selective demolition" might as well be a valid solution for both Kerr *and* Jorgenson--if only because a valid aesthetic/architectural argument can be summoned up for both buildings. (Yes, Jorgenson too. Leave tabula-rasa solutions for Jorgenson to radical Kunstlerites who've always found CKLN unlistenable.)

Nooo not Jorgenson, the Library building is the one that should come down. Its the one with no windows. A new library could always be built on the Sams property.

Well, the Library is part of Jorgenson Hall. I guess we could get in to semantic arguments, but it is all one building. No one I know would describe the Admissions Info Desk as being in the library. Under the old room numbering scheme, the line between "A" rooms and "L" rooms was totally invisible.

Globe and Mail article

It says "Kerr Hall" but everything it says describes Jorgenson. "built in the 1970s" (Jorgenson is from the 70s, Kerr from the 50s), "fortress-like academic building" (I think people would describe Jorgenson as being more fortress-like), "The entry will be at street level, not raised as it is now" (most entrances to Kerr aren't raised, but all entrances to Jorgenson are either raised or sunk), and "the building at left" (Jorgenson would be on the left in the pic, Kerr on the right).

And I'll repost what I said in General Discussions:

It says "Kerr Hall" but everything it says describes Jorgenson. "built in the 1970s" (Jorgenson is from the 70s, Kerr from the 50s), "fortress-like academic building" (I think people would describe Jorgenson as being more fortress-like, moat and all), "The entry will be at street level, not raised as it is now" (most entrances to Kerr aren't raised, but all entrances to Jorgenson are either raised or sunk), and "the building at left" (Jorgenson would be on the left in the pic, Kerr on the right).

My idea back in my undergrad days was to complete gut the bottom of the Library Tower, install a glass entrance at street level onto Gould, and that would at least give a presentable main entrance for Ryerson.

But the graphic shows Kerr Hall being the demo'd structure, but the description says the structure "at left" would be removed. Weird.

Well, the Library is part of Jorgenson Hall. I guess we could get in to semantic arguments, but it is all one building. No one I know would describe the Admissions Info Desk as being in the library. Under the old room numbering scheme, the line between "A" rooms and "L" rooms was totally invisible.

It says "Kerr Hall" but everything it says describes Jorgenson. "built in the 1970s" (Jorgenson is from the 70s, Kerr from the 50s), "fortress-like academic building" (I think people would describe Jorgenson as being more fortress-like), "The entry will be at street level, not raised as it is now" (most entrances to Kerr aren't raised, but all entrances to Jorgenson are either raised or sunk), and "the building at left" (Jorgenson would be on the left in the pic, Kerr on the right).

Everyone refers to rooms in the windowless building as being in The Library building and that is the name of it on all the maps. Jorgenson is the building on the other end, where the Sociology offices are. The middle area is the podium, which everyone refers to simply as the POD. I have actually never heard anyone refer to the library building as Jorgenson.

As for Kerr Hall, most of the entrances are indeed raised (and located within the quad).

My idea back in my undergrad days was to complete gut the bottom of the Library Tower, install a glass entrance at street level onto Gould, and that would at least give a presentable main entrance for Ryerson.

But the graphic shows Kerr Hall being the demo'd structure, but the description says the structure "at left" would be removed. Weird.

Yea, the Library building should have its entrance on Gould, especially if Gould becomes the pedestrian zone that is wanted. It would be nice if a bridge could be built between it and Metropolis... eerrr Toronto Life Square, which could act as the 'gateway' to Ryerson. Maybe put up a big sign saying Ryerson University across the bridge?

Back