News   Jul 12, 2024
 798     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 725     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 305     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

Re: ...

Man... I'm really starting to believe that I'm the only person in this city who likes Kerr Hall. It has many shortcomings but most of those aren't things that we need demolition for to correct. The marble walls and murals are quality touches from another era; stairwells are numerous, bright, and airy; and classrooms on the 'inside' often offer nice leafy views of the Quad with the CN Tower and other towers rising in the background. It does need better connections with the outside (almost all entrances/exits are from the quad, another connection to Victoria could make a big difference), the blank wall along Gerrard is unfortunate, and it may take you a little while to learn how to navigate it, but these are mainly reflections of the wide range of mixed uses the building serves. A/C would be nice and some classrooms are outdated but this is changing with the ongoing renovations. I'll take the wrecking ball to Jorgenson (windows?) or Image Arts first, no doubt about it.

One thing I'll say about the Business building... the elevators are efficient. Unlike Jorgenson or the Library.

The elevators in the business building are a joke... I hope you are referring to the new business building.

I have been stuck in the elevators in the old business building twice already in my 2 months of school. It has got to the point where most of my class just takes the stairs now.... and thats 6 stories. Theres even some days when the elevators stop at the 5th floor and dont move from there.

But ill agree that the LIB and JOR elevator is just a P.O.S.... Its the slowest thing I have ever seen.

RE: Old Business building elevators...

Really? I was unaware of those sort fo problems... being inoprative is another issue altogether. That's just freaky. I've never had a problem; when they're working properly I've never had to wait long for one. Unlike (again) JOR and LIB. Three elevators for a 14-floor academic building, and the same button used to call both the local and express elevators... duuuuuuhhhh!

Hello Darlene,

I would be grateful if you could forward the following message to all of the planners.

Thanks,

Chris Drew

----
Hello Ryerson Planning Students,

My name is Chris Drew and I am your VP of Finance and Services for the Ryerson Students' Union. I'm also a 4th year Urban Planning student. Each year, the RSU holds a Semi-Annual General meeting where students can hear reports from the Executive on what we done for you and students can vote on motions. This year, I have submitted a motion formally asking students to endorse the idea that Gould Street must be closed when the construction of Metropolis is completed. We need at least 100 students to make quorum for the meeting. It would be great if we could have a strong showing from Planners to support this important planning issue on our campus.

The SAGM is this Wednesday at 5:30PM in the Multipurpose Room of the Student Centre. Free food will be served.

I hope to see many of you there!

Sincerely,

Chris Drew

Chris Drew's still around? Ugh. Whatever happened to his good buddy Paul Martin? Oh yeah. Got his ass handed to him on a platter.

I'm sure if I showed up and expressed my opposition to such plans he would tell me that he "understands my concerns" and will "look into it". If this passes, a year later I guess we could expect the Chris Drew campaign for high-intensity lighting for Gould. Note to commuting students: the campus is still there after you leave.

Wouldn't he be a 5th year planning student by now?

Re: Ryerson Campus

Canadian Architect

Link to article

Canadian Architect, 1/12/2007

University and the City roundtable discussion

This roundtable discussion take place from 2:00pm to 4:00pm on March 15, 2007 at Ryerson University in Toronto. The discussion will focus on the topic of the University and the City, and considers strategies for enhancing physical, economic and social interfaces between universities and their host environments.

This discussion is particularly relevant given the current Master Plan exercise that Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects are undertaking for the Ryerson campus.

Charles Waldheim, Ken Greenberg, Bruce Kuwabara and Glen Murray are scheduled to speak, and Colin Ripley and Marco Polo will moderate the discussion.

Richmond Hill and other northern suburbs are often reffered to as "uptown" by the people that live there.

For anyone downtown, that's "way the hell uptown."

More info on the Master Plan discussion, including a change in the venue.

Too bad I won't be there... all my old profs are hosting/moderating this.

Canadian Architect

Link to article

The City and the University: Tapping the Potential of Ryerson's Master Plan

1/25/2007

Ryerson University's Department of Architectural Science is pleased to announce "The University and the City: Tapping the Potential of Ryerson's Master Plan," a roundtable discussion taking place on Thursday, March 15, from 2:00pm to 4:00pm.

The event features a panel of international experts - architects, urban designers, planners, and theorists - who will consider innovative strategies for enhancing interfaces (physical, economic, social, and political) between academic institutions and their neighbouring communities.

Panel members include:

• Margaret Crawford, Professor of Urban Design and Planning Theory, GSD, Harvard University
• Anne Cormier, Professor, Faculté de l'Aménagement, Université de Montréal
• Robert Freedman, Director of Urban Design, City of Toronto
• Ken Greenberg, Greenberg Consultants, Toronto
• Bruce Kuwabara, Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects, Toronto
• Glen Murray, Navigator Limited, Visiting Scholar & Urban Policy Coordinator, University of Toronto
• Michel Schreinemachers, Next Architects, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Ryerson's Master Plan is a bold undertaking, the development of a 20-year blueprint to revitalize the campus and act as a catalyst for change and renewal in the surrounding district.

Department of Architectural Science professors Colin Ripley and Marco Polo will moderate. The event will be held in the Council Chamber at Toronto City Hall, which is free and open to the public.

For further information on the roundtable, please contact Professor Ian MacBurnie at imacburn@ryerson.ca or (416) 979-5000 x 6496.

Ryerson

So when are some public input sessions coming. What's the public/community process for the 20 year plan?

Kerr Hall is probably my favourite building on campus because of the quad, crab apple trees and the bright classrooms & halls, working waterfountins and use of materials. It's also one of the few buildings on campus that has any history. On the negative side it's Gould, Church and Gerrard frontages are dull. I also like the new student centre and Oakham house although the concrete intersection of Ram and the Rye on Church could have been done better.

I think the worst building is the new Engineering building along Church. That long block killer is only mercifully interrupted by a gas station, which is the only thing that makes it better than the Reference library by the same architects.
If Ryerson wants to fit in better with the city it needs some retail at grade. Unfortunately the first two attempts at private partnerships, Business building and Metropolis suggest that it is not able to have retail interests not dominate the building to the detriment of the institution. Strangely it does not have this problem with the many private businesses that operate in a mall-like fashion inside the buildings. How many Tim Hortons are on campus?

Re: Ryerson

Yet another change of plans in the Ryerson Master Plan roundtable discussion...

Canadian Architect

Link

Ryerson University's Department of Architectural Science is pleased to announce "The University and the City: Tapping the Potential of Ryerson's Master Plan," a roundtable discussion taking place on Thursday, March 15, from 2:00pm to 4:00pm.

The event features a panel of international experts - architects, urban designers, planners, and theorists - who will consider innovative strategies for enhancing interfaces (physical, economic, social, and political) between academic institutions and their neighbouring communities.

Panel members include:

• Margaret Crawford, Professor of Urban Design and Planning Theory, GSD, Harvard University
• Anne Cormier, Professor, Faculté de l'Aménagement, Université de Montréal
• Robert Freedman, Director of Urban Design, City of Toronto
• Ken Greenberg, Greenberg Consultants, Toronto • Bruce Kuwabara, Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects, Toronto
• Glen Murray, Navigator Limited, Visiting Scholar & Urban Policy Coordinator, University of Toronto
• Michel Schreinemachers, Next Architects, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Ryerson's Master Plan is a bold undertaking, the development of a 20-year blueprint to revitalize the campus and act as a catalyst for change and renewal in the surrounding district.

Department of Architectural Science professors Colin Ripley and Marco Polo will moderate. The event will be held in Room 1-148/150 of the Ryerson Business Building which is located at 55 Dundas Street West in Toronto. The event is free and open to the public.

For further information on the roundtable, please contact Professor Ian MacBurnie at imacburn@ryerson.ca or (416) 979-5000 x 6496.

Re: Ryerson

The outside of that building, ill agree is horrible but the classes inside are amazing. I have a class in a basement class, yet it feels like you arent even in a basement. The classes look extremely clean and taken care of.

Back