News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

I've just become interested in this project after having spent lots of time going to the ROM since the Crystal opened and sitting in Philosopher's Walk having lunch.

Earlier in this thread, this rendering from the hoardings was posted:

198059410_62d26ee16f_o.jpg

It looks like the glass supports have been replaced with concrete pillars. Is that correct? Also, did the restaurant get nixed? It looks like it has from photos of the relatively completed building such as this one:

DSCN3499.jpg

That would be an amazing place to eat, overlooking Philosopher's Walk and the ROM.

It would have been a great place to eat, but yeah, it hasn't been built. Crumb bums.

I want everything now!

If they don't put the restaurant in now I have a hard time seeing them add it in the near future. You'd think that would be a no-brainer though; one would think it would be a good revenue generator.

^^ Perhaps they didn't have an interested party in managing the restaurant. I don't see UofT wanting to get into the restaurant business. They'd likely open up to interested parties to develop and manage the restaurant .

I don't see why they can't build it in the future. If you look closely, the entrance to the patio is there. I'm sure the structure can support the addition since it was drafted into the original design.

The Con hasn't been part of U of T for many years. The Faculty of Music, in a drabber building just down Philosopher's Walk, is. That building will likely have a substantial makeover in the next few years.

Re: the Nuit Blanc comment somewhere above.

I wish these projects didn't always have to have their openings associated with some seasonal festival as it adds unnecessary pressure to rush their completions. The worst thing that happened with The ROM was having it mixed in with Luminato. Those high wire acrobats/steelworkers who were working 24/7 in the final weeks were adding god knows how much overtime pay into the budget. (And we know what the final product looks like so I won't beat that dead horse.) These local festivals--no matter how much we love them--are not the Olympics and shouldn't be dictating the construction planning of cultural projects that cost hundreds of millions of dollars and will be a part of this city's legacy for decades if not centuries. Open the damn buildings when they're finished, not one day earlier. Rant over.

That is soon. Something to tide people over until the AGO opens in the spring or is there another opening between now and then?

i was here today and the cladding on this building is really really cool. what kind of stone is this??

DSC03597.jpg

DSC03598.jpg

Back