News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

Yes, but surely there comes a threshold where cheapness becomes self-evident. Maybe it comes, as Unimaginative said, where a substitution is made that compromises the original design. Just because "cheap" is a fluid and subjective term doesn't mean a building never gets there.

Mike in TO, you're definitely right about most condos. It is a fact, however, that the architects of OCAD and the ROM, for example, used different materials for cost reasons than what the architects had originally recommended.

Unimaginative, I can agree with you completely in situation when there is a specific material substitution for cost reasons (as occured in the projects you mentioned). My post was aimed at the fact that "Cheaping Out" is a term that is often tossed around very loosely with a lot of projects in Toronto (and around the world) that never promised anything beyond what was delivered.

Regardless of what was, or wasn't, promised in any given development, I think the perception that "cheaping out" has occurred will continue for as long as there's an attitude towards buildings that creates a hierarchy between de luxe materials ( marble any one? ) and certain forbidden finishes that aren't deemed appropriately pretentious enough for some observers. I call it the Ceaucescu People's Palace Syndrome.

I understand that the main reason for the change in the ROM's cladding, which was originally presented to the public in renderings that showed a multi-hued network of interlocking glass panels, was to protect light-sensitive artefacts. No doubt the expense of the thing would have been considerably higher as well, had it been built that way. Cost certainly played a major part in the OCAD decision, but design saved the day with a boldly graphic solution that swiped the same modular dimensions as the windows and did something with them.

I really like the materials being used on this section of the building and yes, it certainly means that they spent some money (when they could have spent less on something that would not be as pleasing aesthetically). Bring on the materials that are at the top of the heirarchy. Michelangio used marble because it is a beautiful stone. All the power to architects and designers who use Douglas Fir instead of plywood, and beautiful and rare stone, instead of concrete.

(now, we will get the 20 posts about the great concrete buildings designed by great architects and how one can make beautiful things out of plywood...but deep down inside, we all know that certain materials, because of their colours and textures and perhaps rarity, are preferable to others. Silk or burlap? All things are not created equal.)

Re: cheap materials, I do recall seeing a chart once listing costs per square meter or some such area for various cladding materials that had brick come in cheaper than precast. Is that possible? Seems like if it were true we wouldn't see so much damned precast in this town.

allaboutmatt:

Does it include the cost of installation? Or is it just the cost of materials? The material cost of brick might be lower than precast, but if one has to include the cost of bricklaying, I can see how it can end up more expensive.

AoD

I am more concerned with aesthetics than use. Burlap is great for holding potatos and concrete is great for holding up buildings but both suffer in the aesthetic realm. My mom has burlap wallpaper in her den to prove it. ;)

The use creates the aesthetic effect. There are no diktats concerning forbidden colours, textures, materials or combinations thereof that any artist will pay the slightest attention to if they can possibly help it.

RCM's fancy stone veneer may be a "better" material than burlap or precast, but I find the colour and texture somewhat revolting.

"The use creates the aesthetic effect. There are no diktats concerning forbidden colours, textures, materials or combinations thereof that any artist will pay the slightest attention to if they can possibly help it." - Urban Shocker

Glad to finally hear an argument from your end concretely validating relativistic extrapersonal hermetic contextualism, both as perceived and as measured, as the primary generator of meaning in architecture, disallowing any one single opinion or viewpoint or type of interference that would compromise or attempt to reduce these inherent complexities, and remove the experience from one of art into one of mere building. Or as badly, a crass attempt at literalized simplified or contrary theory or opinion, striving to be made tectonic and influential.
Glad to know that with your above statement, you are admitting the supremacy of the subjective - and that your future judgements regarding the veracity, worth or aptness of new buildings, their content, look or function can be seen if as not energetically fallicious, then at least not integral throughout their length. At last.

"The use creates the aesthetic effect. There are no diktats concerning forbidden colours, textures, materials or combinations thereof that any artist will pay the slightest attention to if they can possibly help it." - Urban Shocker

Glad to finally hear an argument from your end concretely validating relativistic extrapersonal hermetic contextualism, both as perceived and as measured, as the primary generator of meaning in architecture, disallowing any one single opinion or viewpoint or type of interference that would compromise or attempt to reduce these inherent complexities, and remove the experience from one of art into one of mere building. Or as badly, a crass attempt at literalized simplified or contrary theory or opinion.
Glad to know that with your above statement, you are admitting the supremacy of the subjective - and that future judgements regarding the veracity, worth or aptness of new buildings, their content, look or function can be seen if as not fallicious, at least not wholehearted. At last.

wtf?

Don't mind me - just a bit of gas.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've done inside this building, in both the older and newer sections. Years ago, going into the older section was like entering a dour, forbidding funeral parlour. It'll be interesting to see how inviting that has become.
As for the newer section, it looks OK architecturally - but I think the proof in it all, aside from the lovely new auditorium, will be the happiness and attainment of student life within it. That will require a very high degree of well-turned functionalism and adaptability to use.
Is looking good though - makes a nice foil to the ROM next door.

Back