News   Jun 26, 2024
 38     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

"I'm not a fan, but again, I reserve judgment until the building is done."

I pronounced judgment back in July...

"With Renaissance ROM, RCM, Varsity, and One Bedford all in various stages, the block of Bloor from Avenue to Bedford is undergoing an incredible transformation."

Add the Woodsworth residence and Bloor's imminent makeover to that mix.

edit - Oh, and re: bubble, as has been said before, if it wasn't there, the field would be used for snow storage all winter...at least the field can be used for sports, and with all of U of T's intramural teams, I'm sure it will be used all the time.

From PCL.com:

Current Progress

(as of Jan. 29/07):

The cast-in-place concrete structures for all three sections of the new building are complete and work on the building envelope is now underway with the glazing and masonry trades. At the section of the building east of the Concert Hall, the installation of the East Lobby’s curtain wall system, overlooking Philosopher’s Walk, is almost complete as is the installation of the 14 windows for the Orchestral and Piano Studios and the curtain wall section on the south elevation in the East Studio Lobby on Level B1. The east building’s exterior brick work is also nearing completion with only the north elevation left to complete.

At the Concert Hall, the mason is currently working on the north elevation installing the stone cladding. The installation of the stone on the north elevation will be complete in early February. Once complete, the mason will begin installing the stone cladding on the east elevation while their climbing scaffold is being relocated and set-up on the south elevation. The stone cladding on the east elevation will take approximately one-week to complete. Once complete, the mason will begin the stone installation on the south side of the Concert Hall.

In the west building, the mason is installing the exterior block work an work to install the curtain wall systems in this section of the building will commence in early February. In the Rehearsal Hall area of the west building, the structural steel and glue-lam beam erection is complete and work on installing the metal deck and back-up block at the exterior wall will begin in early February.

At the B1 level of the west building is the main mechanical and electrical rooms for this facility. In the Mechanical Room, the installation of the equipment and services is proceeding on schedule. In the Electrical Room, the main switchgear and transformer are on site and installed. PCL is currently projecting full power by mid-March 2007.

Within McMaster Hall, the reinforcing of the Hall’s south and west walls with Cintec anchors is complete and the pockets have been cut in preparation for the installation of the steel beams that will support the glass roof spanning between McMaster Hall and the Concert Hall. Other work currently underway in McMaster Hall includes the reframing of the existing washroom floors and the installation of the new plumbing risers. Other work underway in McMaster Hall includes the installation of the new Stair 4 and the removal of the existing west stair. The erection of the new steel stair is complete and work is now underway installing the drywall partitions around this stair. With the new stair open for use, the demolition of the existing west stair is now complete and the only demolition remaining is at the Ground Level where rooms are currently in use by the trades for site offices.

The current schedule shows this project achieving Substantial Performance in early September 2007.

We're getting stone cladding?!

AoD

Royal Conservatory of Music

The Conservatory website has an excellent virtual tour of what the complex will look like, including how the internal spaces between the existing buildings have been handled. Koerner Hall, which has the same seating capacity as the Weston, has a much more exuberant interior - the "ribbons" in particular look spectacular.

Re: Royal Conservatory of Music

An interesting sight from last week, that some of you might have seen:

Re: Royal Conservatory of Music

Looks like the COC's set for Die Walkure.

Today, 04.03.2007

hpim1573ok4.jpg

hpim1572nr7.jpg

Thanks for the update raptor.

What is that red coloured cladding? Copper? It looked awfully reflective.

AoD

is that actually a cladding? or is it some sort of waterproofing membrane or other component that will eventually be covered?

In the photos it looks to be applied directly to the concrete in a thin, smooth layer. Usually copper cladding is given some sort of profile to give it some rigidity.

Re: Re: Royal Conservatory of Music Photo Updates

That jagged descending edge of Varsity Stadium is very obtrusive.

Yes the jagged edge sticks out, but why not? There's no point in trying to hide what Varsity Stadium is, so why not emphasize it?

Still, the whole stadium was built very cheaply, so I am not arguing that the jagged edge is great architecture, but merely an appropriate accent for a low-budget job.

I don't know what this "appropriate" means when it comes to aesthetics. It seems an empty apology for ugliness.

It matches the rudeness of KPMB's wraparound addition that blocks the high Victorian McMaster Hall from view. What goes around comes around.

I don't think the edge is ugly. Neither do I think it's handsome. It's somewhere in between for me, somewhere indefinable in that regard.

It just strikes me as a way to emphasize the nature of the stadium really cheaply. If they had access to a lot more money, I would expect better, but as they didn't, it seems like an appropriate little gesture to me.

Back