News   Jun 26, 2024
 70     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

Re: >Re: status?

Built as a variety theatre. They installed microphones and speakers several years ago for sound enhancement, as was done at the Hummingbird Centre. With limited success in both cases.

tudararms: maybe skip the opera there, but get thee out to the Elgin for something else! It's a beautiful theatre, and works very well during the film festival for example.

I've always wanted to go, but there just hasn't seemed to have been anything playing there to entice me. I've been to the Wintergarden many times.

Elgin & Wintergarden (originally Loews Yonge Street) were originally vaudeville theatres. Consider taking the tour one Saturday morning, it's fascinating.

tudararms: Maybe Cats will return to the Wintergarden and you can go hear the singing pussycats. Along with Les Miz, Phantom etc. these big hairball 1980's musicals are endlessly remounted; they're the equivalent to a Stones concert or a Who farewell tour.

Yeah, I think that's why I've never been. The programming at the Elgin has always seemed a little uninspired. I saw the play, "Copenhagen" at the Wintergarden and a revival of "Jacques Brel..." with Louise Pitre and Michael Burgess. Such a fantastic space, nice and intimate too.

I saw Bea Arthur's one woman tour de force their a few years ago. It was worth every penny. And I would have seen Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake there in May, had he not yanked the tour off the road because none of the good burghers of Washington D.C. were interested in an all male Swan Lake.

Heartbreaking really. Compounded by the fact that a friend of mine in San Francisco saw it three times and called to rave about it after each performance.

And it isn't as if the production was the "shock of the new" either, since it was first mounted in the mid-'90's.

Bourne's Edward Scissorhands is coming to the Hummingbird Centre in April.

Re: update

I walked by yesterday, and I wish that I had my camera. A few observations, though:

1. The brick on the RCM expansion was selected to match McMaster Hall. It looks a little dull, but I'll reserve judgment until the building is done and the transitions between the brick and the glass are installed.

2. The west wing of the expansion cuts off the view to the centre of McMaster Hall. As it stands right now, I'm not a fan, but again, I reserve judgment until the building is done. The west wing may yet end up framing McMaster Hall nicely and may create a cozy courtyard in front of the building.

3. The drama over the Varsity bubble is overblown. It does not overpower the street. Besides, if it wasn't there, all we'd have all winter is a wind-swept, snow-covered expanse. Is the bubble all that much worse?

4. With Renaissance ROM, RCM, Varsity, and One Bedford all in various stages, the block of Bloor from Avenue to Bedford is undergoing an incredible transformation. I moved to TO eight and a half years ago, and I can't believe how much this strip has changed.

Re: update

On # 3...

At least the bubble is white. It will just blend in with its surroundings for the time that it is up. (Everything in snow)

Back