News   Apr 25, 2024
 121     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Rosewood (Eglinton & DVP, Greenpark, 22 + 26s, Burka) COMPLETE

The glass of the penthouse level does look a bit funny on the rendering. the contrast between the glass and the precast is too huge i think.

well I am hopeful with the top floor completed this will add some interest to the architecture

it was hard to source the images ... but as derived from The Rosewood website (http://therosewood.ca)

pics_lg_des_arch.jpg
pics_lg_des_porte.jpg

pics_lg_site.jpg

"The tops of these towers are the height of pretension."
I somewhat agree with your statement, interchange42.

In a way, we are all pretending to be something that we are not, not just architecturally, but human in general.

I forgot where I read this from, modern architecture always what to be something that it's not. A modern church would look more like a warehouse than a traditional church with domes and buttresses.

I think the problem with modern architecture is that we are still in search for it's own meaning. However, the pace of modern age is so fast that it fails to settle down and really think for itself a style that can truly represent itself. Or maybe, this failure of identifying a "face" or uncertainly to know and understand what we really want is essentially the definition of modern era. I guess, it's something that Derrida also said in his deconstructionist theory. Well, I am not even sure now!

It looks like these Rosewood buildings is pretending to be something traditional, but it's not. But the question is, some of us do feel like living in an "traditionalish" building. A good example is those houses in Woodbridge that try to be something classical Italian. Another example is the New York Towers that give the purchasers feeling of living in New York. Why do you think most of the Seniors Developments look like resort hotels of Europe??

At the end of the day, we should ask what's the responsibility of a building - in this case - a residential tower. Does it serve its purpose when it provides an efficient or "well worth the money" suite layout that the dwellers live comfortably. Or is it more important for the building to serve the City before the dwellers?? It's a very philosophical question I guess....

I believe this forum should also discuss the internal "health" of a building - i.e. the Suite Layouts, the Amenity spaces, or outdoor recreation facilities. I think we have focused too much energy talking about how a building look in a city. We should also spend some effort in discussing what should a building be.

Don't you agree?

As outsiders of the building in question and residents of the city, it's natural that more discussion takes place on the exterior design and positioning of the building.

In terms of your points on architecture, I disagree that we're unsure of the meaning of modern architecture. It reflects our dominant intellectual philosophies and the way we see ourselves in the world. For instance, with the work of Darwin and all the scientific knowledge gained over the last couple of centuries our reality no longer seems mystical at all, so our buildings aren't lavishly ornamented. They celebrate functionality and the capabilities of rational thought.

Yet, modernism hasn't disproved the existence of God and religion. Its implications still scare people, that we're in an indifferent universe, that death simply means the beginning of decay, and so traditionalism offers comfort, though it is rather shallow. Some have accepted the modernist principles, while others have doubts. This is reflected in the architectural styles of today's buildings.

Hi Junctionist.... you said, "Some have accepted the modernist principles, while others have doubts. This is reflected in the architectural styles of today's buildings." I think the "some" can be referred to Toronto's builders.

Most of them still doubt what design can do to their sales, but certainly it has improved in the last couple of years. We are beginning to see buildings that responds to their surrounding context. I think the problem we are facing today is that most of the buildings under construction today were being proposed and designed 2, 3 years ago, and thus, most of them are eye sours.

And I believe some developers for whatever reason still think "traditionalism offers comfort". North American, including Canadian and our friends south of the border, have a tendency to recreate history or culture since ours are very thin comparing to the European roots. Some of us have fallen in love with Las Vegas and Disney world, thinking recreating mansions, chateaus, castles or palaces is the only way to promote homes....

Lets educate the developers.... :)

October 22 2008 update

the terracing section of the north tower (23rd floor) is underway

DSC01132.jpg

MODs ... I think the final height of these towers are 26s + 22s instead

December 12 2008 update

The Rosewood are working on the 26th (north tower) and 22nd (south tower) floor on this COLDddd windy night ~ last floor !!

East Elevation
IMG_2893.jpg

MODs ... based on the marketing renderings the Rosewood towers are 26s + 22s respectively :)

Last edited:
thx for the pics, Solaris....indeed it was freaking cold tonight.....

January 5 2009 update

Rosewood towers are on the roof / mechanical floor ~

West View
IMG_3068.jpg

Totally under the radar. In person I found these two towers somewhat impressive in a nifty little "forest-like" area just off the Don Valley. 100% car-centric.

DSCN4354.jpg

DSCN4355.jpg

May 9 2009 update

The Rosewood towers nearly all cladded ~

IMG_3775.jpg

Back