News   Apr 25, 2024
 626     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 519     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 765     0 

Rosewood (Eglinton & DVP, Greenpark, 22 + 26s, Burka) COMPLETE

"Hooray for densification"

All of the 70's slabs that have left a long-term architectural mar on Toronto added to densification, too.

In my opinion a lot of people on this board are too easily pleased. Far too Canadian.

In my opinion a lot of people on this board are too easily pleased. Far too Canadian.
Are you kidding? try reading the BA tower thread! ;)

All of the 70's slabs that have left a long-term architectural mar on Toronto

Bah.. Wait another 30 years and you will be jumping up and down to try and save/restore these unique heritage properties. The tall, slender 'Toronto Style' buildings will be eye sores to the next generation.

"Wait another 30 years and you will be jumping up and down to try and save/restore these unique heritage properties"

They may invoke a touch of nostalgia in 30 years, but that will be more than countered by the wave of nausea.

Of course there are some great slabs, like 20 Prince Arthur.

Bah.. Wait another 30 years and you will be jumping up and down to try and save/restore these unique heritage properties. The tall, slender 'Toronto Style' buildings will be eye sores to the next generation.

Why does the former automatically assume the latter? I think we're just headed for a breakdown of the old "outmoded = eyesore reflex". That is, why not 60s tower blocks *and* 00s tower blocks...

"I think we're just headed for a breakdown of the old "outmoded = eyesore reflex". "

Yes, I too would like to think that we're moving beyond that reflex.

"why not 60s tower blocks *and* 00s tower blocks"

For me, this is because the typical glass point tower is far superior, aesthetically, to the typical slab. It's my immediate visceral reaction to the two forms, and has nothing to do with which one is newer or currently in vogue.

I suspect that many Torontonians share my aesthetic preference, in this case.

The history of design isn't simply the history of one set of aesthetic values overtaking another. In some transitions, it is more like aesthetic principles emerging where none had existed before. I think that frankly many slabs were erected with very little consideration of aesthetics. We are becoming more sensitive to design, and as a consequence, design is improving (at least for high rise residences).

Why does the former automatically assume the latter?
Obvious really. A building with poor built form and no historical value compared to the standards of that day can only be criticized.

The only way to escape that is to give the buildings a history in a very short time or prevent further improvements from being made.

Antiquated without the antique.

I'll even take it further. One of the larger criticisms will be about their energy inefficiency. Point towers have a huge surface area and the glass on them has pretty low insulation value. Toss in excessive vertical transportation requirements and rotting silicon seals for the windows, and you've got a pretty solid complaint.

Somehow I don't see City Place or Fort York becoming preservation districts in that timeframe.

Rosewood

I was just wondering about the Rosewood Condos. If they say they are starting at $180 does that mean you can negociate and how much room do you normally have to manoveur. Does any one have any tips on how to purchase a new condo? If so id love to hear them.
thx

Re: Rosewood

use an agent

everything is negotiable but you're far more likely to get a free upgrade than a deal on the set price

Re: Rosewood

ok good to know. thanks mark...as this is new to me i want to make sure i know what to be asking for if i decide to purchase. I have negociated a home before but brand new condos are new to me... Just trying to get perspectives on the pitfalls of purchasing a brandnew condo and the things to be aware of and ask for and ask about..thanks for your tips... much appreciated Mark! :)

Obviously, no one really cares too much about these two little towers of mediocrity, myself included, since the last post was made some time ago, but I do have some snaps from a passby on the DVP last weekend, and they are well under way.

RosewoodUC02.jpg

RosewoodUC03.jpg

These photos show a third building, nearby. Anybody know what that is? I have no clue.

RosewoodUC01.jpg

NearRosewood01.jpg

That is Tridel's Accolade - http://tridel.com/accolade/

I was meaning to snap a photo last week as I drove by on the DVP as well. That small area has quite the density happening.

A little further North on the West side is the Red Hot Condos development, which is nothing too special.

Accolades to you for your answer. There's been so little mention of it, that I thought perhaps it had been cancelled.

Yuck.

The top few floors look like such a mishmash of random volumes and stylistic touches.

Surely this thread has been forgotten. Architecturally, I would say not too bad, not too good - Typical "condo in a park".... Greenpark has no tradition of making anything "contemporary", just take a look at the houses they build! It's a very conservative safe try considering this is their first high rise project!

well I am hopeful with the top floor completed this will add some interest to the architecture

it was hard to source the images ... but as derived from The Rosewood website (http://therosewood.ca)

pics_lg_des_arch.jpg
pics_lg_des_porte.jpg

pics_lg_site.jpg

Back