News   Jul 09, 2024
 720     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 595     0 

Roncesvalles Reconstruction

Missy:

You've been warned not to capitalize your postings. Any further attempts to do so will result in banning.

And I do not think that cyclists, non car owners qualify to comment on road ethics, protocol, grid locks or anything else that has to do with driving a car.

Kind of like how someone who had no idea typing in ALL CAPS = shouting doesn't really belong online either, I suppose. Let's not play this stupid game, shall we? You know enough about computers to use the bold and underline function.

AoD

Last edited:
Missy:

You've been warned not to capitalize your postings. Any further attempts to do so will result in banning.

AoD

A guy decided to make some money by writing a book on computer etiquette. Now the entire world is suppose to bend to his knees. Well I did my homework
on google, maybe you should too and you will find the NO this is not etched in stone.

Government letters and web sites also use capitals..........why not ban them too.

This pettiness is an example of why Ontario has lost it's freedom and become like a police state.

No perfume, no smoking, no driving, laughing to loud no anything.

You have offended me. I WILL ALWAYS USE CAPITALS BCOS THAT IS WHAT WE DO IN THE BUSINESS WORLD.

Thanks for the Ban, you just reinforced why I am wasting my time responding to a bunch of cyclists and pedestrians against the ANTI CARS ON RONCESVALLES.

Please delete my account as I do not wish to receive anymore notices either.

Such pettiness. Continue to support the criers that have made Ontario a Police state. You have no idea how much fun it was living here prior to all these new millennium reforms.

Ban away!

Good Bye.

And as RF will soon find out, capitalizing on anger is one thing, governing rationally is another. Reality is an equal opportunist in foiling utopian dreams of the left and right.

AoD

And as RF will soon find out, capitalizing on anger is one thing, rationally governing is another.

AoD

Bush had 8 years of governing without so much as a hint of rationality... It isn't a prerequisite for governing, it just helps make sure your country/province/city doesn't do a nose dive...

A search for Roncesvalles Ave. on Virtual Earth offers a 2D view of the area before all the recent construction began. Cars outnumber trolleys by a ratio of over 50 to 1.
Now before a citizen of Trolleywood ( I can see all the usual suspects pounding away feverishly on their keyboards) logs on here to announce triumphantly that since a CLRV is capable of transporting 74 (TTC number) riders to their destinations and everyone knows that all automobiles are occupied by only their drivers the greater and nobler need is about to be served on completion of this project.
Let me point out that their opinion is only that, an opinion. An opinion that is predicated on every streetcar being stuffed with riders which is of course not the case except in Peak Periods and every automobile owner out there has no family or friends to ferry about.
If we are to presume that every streetcar is filled to capacity lets extend the same presumption to automobiles, why not, if we do so the automobiles contain 50X4 or 200 riders to the streetcar's 74.

A search for Roncesvalles Ave. on Virtual Earth offers a 2D view of the area before all the recent construction began. Cars outnumber trolleys by a ratio of over 50 to 1.
Now before a citizen of Trolleywood ( I can see all the usual suspects pounding away feverishly on their keyboards) logs on here to announce triumphantly that since a CLRV is capable of transporting 74 (TTC number) riders to their destinations and everyone knows that all automobiles are occupied by only their drivers the greater and nobler need is about to be served on completion of this project.
Let me point out that their opinion is only that, an opinion. An opinion that is predicated on every streetcar being stuffed with riders which is of course not the case except in Peak Periods and every automobile owner out there has no family or friends to ferry about.
If we are to presume that every streetcar is filled to capacity lets extend the same presumption to automobiles, why not, if we do so the automobiles contain 50X4 or 200 riders to the streetcar's 74.

That is a streetcar every 5 to 10 minutes, while the cars just waste real estate.

Anyone with a brain that lives locally and drives knows that Parkside Drive is a much quicker way to get from Bloor to Parkdale and/or Downtown. Even Sorauren is quicker than Roncevalles, streetcar or no streetcar. It's all the pedestrians crossing Roncevalles (often from their parked cars) that slows traffic down! (Which is good, because who wants a dead streetscape with zero retail? Oh right, 905 morons!)

I am sure he will not force his wife to go on a bike to do the family shopping nor will she drag her groceries home on the streetcar and then walk.
Nor will she fight the grid lock traffic on Roncesvalles to do her shopping and keep circling the blocks until she finds parking, she will go to a car friendly plaza like the rest of us are being forced to do.
That is IF she does any shopping at all.

For some reason my favourite part of this whole Missy saga is her weird assumption that Gord Perks' wife should do the family grocery shopping. And if she DOESN'T then that is something worth being outraged over.

If this is a Helen Lovejoy-style troll, kudos.

Yikes! A lot of fun posts since the last time I checked in here.

In case anyone still cares, the City staff reports said that traffic flow would not be significantly affected by the Roncesvalles bumpouts. And why would it, since Roncesvalles is basically a two-lane road anyway thanks to parked cars. Yes, it will be harder for cars to dart around streetcars, but this maneuver most likely slows down not only the streetcar that must wait as these people pass by, but the cars following behind. Two drivers may get home sooner, but everyone else gets delayed.

And by the way, fellow car drivers: you can demand on-street parking or you can demand improved traffic flow. You can't demand both. They are mutually incompatible!

And as this BIA post reminds us, the City's response to slow traffic on Dundas West was to remove parking and open up the street to four lanes of busy traffic, which would be the worst possible outcome for Roncesvalles businesses. Given that Roncesvalles is host to the busiest surface transit route in North America, I would expect that the removal of rush hour parking was the most likely long-term alternative if the current redesign plan had been rejected. If I had to choose between the Dundas West, the St. Clair or the Roncesvalles responses to transit prioritization, I would think most would choose Roncy (although an underground DRL with bike lanes on Roncesvalles would be my own top choice).

The problem is that too many people assume the status quo is an option. It is not.

one thing i will say is alot of my favourite stores have closed mostly due to people finding roncey a pain in the ass to shop/drive and even walk down because of this reconstruction, on the brightside once its done i'll start windowshopping on roncey again along with many others and hopefully bring back the streets vibrant array of stores

Back