News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

Roncesvalles Reconstruction

Missy,
Your doom and gloom rant will very soon be proven incorrect and I for one cannot wait for all who share your view to FO. Like other posters here, you DO NOT speak for not even a fraction of the businesses along this stretch and it is BS to say so. The BIA IS the businesses on this stretch. They all belong and they ARE in support. The loss of 2 car spaces in close proximity to any store is NOT a deal breaker for any business, when 20 others are available. Roncesvalles will NOT be a oneway street and to imply this just shows your ignorance of the project, especially now that construction is almost complete. Delivery trucks will still deliver product to this street in the same manner that they always have. The major problem that the store owners had was with last years sewer and the leaded watermain replacement which had no connection to sidewalk bumpouts. Get your facts straight before you spill your vile.

Missy -- Understand that you are angry, but you should ensure that you have all of the facts before you react to something. You may not agree with everything, but it's important not to spread misinformation, and to be fair in your comments. The Roncesvalles businesses will have an absolute minimal loss of (mostly illegal) parking. In fact, the bump-outs of the sidewalk areas will be mostly in areas where there was no parking allowed anyway. I don't see how that translates into the end of the world for all the businesses on the street. The on-street parking will now be available at all times of the day, not just during off-peak times. In addition, the road will not be one-way, it will still accommodate two-way traffic and cars will be able to use the streetcar tracks as they always did. The sidewalks will be wider and more comfortable for people to carry all that mega-shopping that you are talking about to and from their parked cars. And even if you don't like the idea of benches next to traffic, there are a lot of people who appreciate having a place to sit while they shop, especially if they are carrying lots of packages.

I would also point out that the same angry and dire predictions were made about Spadina Avenue when the streetcar right-of-way was built there and we can all see how untrue it all was. Spadina and its businesses are thriving. Please keep your mind open about these projects and give them a chance. Change is always a bit scary, but we have to be open to it because it often works out to be for the better. You may never agree, and that's of course your prerogative. No one said that every project has to please everyone. Just give it a chance before you trash it.

I have chatted with most of the shop owners on Roncesvalles and NONE OF THEM WANTED THE STREETCAR, THE PLATFORMS & THE LOSS OF PARKING……PERIOD.
Given that you claim falsely that there will be no cars, and it will be a one-way street, why would anyone believe for a second that you have chatted with most of the shop owners, given that you are so unfamiliar with the project?

The only parking that's been lost is about 1 parking spot per streetcar stop. Even if they hadn't have done anything, they would have had to have removed some street parking at each stop to handle the new streetcars. The old 15-metre long ones have about 9 metres between the front and back doors. The new 30-metre long ones have about 26 metres between the front and back doors. Even the 23-metre long ALRVs that the 501 and 504 use have only about 18 metres between the front and back doors. The loss of parking spots was going to happen anyway, sooner or later.

Last edited:
Where on Roncesvailles does this dreary person who devotes their entire Sunday to 'Church' go to do their "mega-shopping" currently? Do you buy like a hundred pounds of Pierogi at once?

Missy—sorry to hear about your addiction to the automobile. Roncesvalles and other similar shopping streets are neighbourhood streets, where shopping is done on the way home from work each day. Nothing better then picking up a fresh tomato for the salad.

I used to live as a kid on Sunnyside Avenue, and my parents never took the car (actually lived there for years without one) to shop on Roncesvalles, just a shopping buggy for big purchases. As an adult, I still go back to Roncesvalles on occasion, by streetcar (or bus during construction).

4317229_19.jpeg

Yes construction is causing problems. Unfortunately, Harry Potter Construction was not available to wave his wand and complete the project in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Ah, the old "the loss of parking is going to kill businesses!" defence. Quite original. I could quote case study after case study that proves that in fact, the loss of parking for the improvement of transit does not hurt businesses. But I won't, because that's just stating the obvious. NIMBYism at its finest. The only thing that could make that more of a textbook baseless defence would be "the streetcars are causing traffic congestion". Or maybe go for the trifecta and say "infill development will hurt the neighbourhood" (that one's a gem!).

I agree Missy and well said...College Park most likely would like see to see this whole city built around his lifestyle, anyways welcome to the UT forum Missy.

Thank You AG, Thank You for understanding that my 85 yr old mother is NOT capable of riding a bike to Roncesvalles to pick up her prescriptions, do her banking and
bring home her mega groceries.

I boggles my mind that most of the people that attended these meetings, who's voices were allowed to be heard, are mostly SINGLE and RENTERS in our community.
They have NO financial vested interest in our community. They are merely transients that will move at a whim to yet another trendy place that will suit their needs, probably using their bikes to make the move. These young, single people without a care in the world, except for their own pleasure should have no voice in these matters at all bcos they do NOT know what responsibility is.

Just about every home owner in this community owns a car & uses it to do their shopping. Yes, some of the younger ones do also own bikes and enjoy our parks for their sport, but they use their cars to do their major shopping......which now will also be a TREMENDOUS hassle for them as it will be for me, to even attempt to find parking on a street that will no longer allow us to make a U-turn to grab that isolated spot on the other side. Hence, they, like me will get so fed up of trying after a few times that they will just say "Awe, forget it, I't just head to Loblaws, No Frills or Sobey's at the Food Terminal.

It boggles my mind that the shop owners voices were NOT heard. Ask them, ask them all & they will tell you the fiasco of those meeting. They will all tell you how they hate the loss of parking spaces, deliver truck spaces and the lack of convience for their car driving customers whether they live in this community or not.
How many born here people that had to move out of this area due to the lack of available housing at that time (no one was selling back then) still loyally make the trip back to their home turf, by car, to shop at their favourite deli's, go to church & banking on this street.

Gord Perks message is loud and clear. "We don't want your stinky cars coming to our neighborhood".

Gord Perks LIED to me on the day he knocked on my door, canvasing for my vote. I had a Rob Ford sign on my lawn and asked him who he was going to support for mayor. He looked at my sign, then at me, then sheepishly on the ground and said that he had not made up his mind as to who he is going to support.
Unfortunately for me, I looked at his web site after I voted to see in plain bold letters "Gord Perks STRONGLY SUPPORTS Slitherman.....(not a typo, merely my opinion of the man that cost us 1 Billion Dollars in the e-Health scam). His office HOUNDED my 85 yr old mom & me on election day, with phone calls and door knocking to make sure we voted for him. They even had the nerve, once at our door, to ask my mother to wake me to make sure that I voted for him. Thank God she refused.

Another LIE that rolled off Gord Perks tongue to me was yesterday when I called him in my livid state, after my experience on Ronces, just outside Qi Health Food Store & Maple Produce, with the new extended sidewalks that made my backing out of the church's driveway a nightmare. No longer will we be allowed to just back up sort of sideways and then merge into traffic as it clears.

His lie was that "All the shop owners wanted these changes." Well I blasted him & kept on blasting him. "The shop owners did not want these ludicrous changes".
He tried to calm me down with "You will see how pretty Ronces will look with all the new trees". Well that got me going even more. I sternly raised my voice to the point one would say it was very, very loud & reminded him that trees don't pay the bills, nor do they fill the coffers of our store owners. And that if I had known that he was Anti Car prior to the election, that I would have made it my mission to enlighten all the car owners in this community that he was against us in favour of cyclists. And that I will make sure that I never ever vote for him or his liberal fumbling, scamming party again. And that I will present all my favourite shops with a farewell card & let them know that I will no longer be able to shop at their stores bcos Ronces is no longer car friendly. Wow, did he loose his Howdy Doody voice at this point. Yep, he had the never to say "You can't do that, it's your responsibility to support the store owners". Well, that demand put me over the top. I found myself standing as my octaves got even louder as I bellowed in a growling voice (trying to suppress my explosive ire), that I swallowed all these years of inconvenience, parking tickets, far away parking, breaking my back to drag my groceries to my car with my poor health and all to support my local merchants, but this is the last straw, that I will not subject myself to anymore torture to make him look good with this fiasco he created and that I will let ALL the shop keepers know why I am leaving and that they will have HIM to blame.
It was priceless......he finally lost his cool........which I hope kept him awake thru the night, knowing that I will make it my mission in life to enlighten the world to his incompetence and prejudice towards those that drive cars out of necessity.

Forgive me, but this is the straw that has finally broken my back. I already left a message for Rob Ford. He will officially be in office this December. Once our streetcars are up and running, I will ask him to accompany me (or a member of his staff) on a Saturday shopping experience on the new grid lock Roncesvalles to see for himself, how
BUSES, YES BUSES could have serviced everyones needs with out creating a grid lock due to these platforms and bulging sidewalks.

This is NOT over by a long shot Mr. Perks.......No, this is not over, this is just the beginning!

WE WANT OUR RONCESVALLES BACK THE WAY IT WAS, A FRIENDLY STREET FOR ALL IT'S SHOPPERS AND NOT YOUR FEW SELECT GROUPS.

And next on my agenda Mr. Perks is go start a petition to demand that all cyclists have to be subjected to the same laws of the road that we car drivers are forced to comply with. That they be forced to complete and pass a road test, obtain a drivers permit/license and plate which will be mandatorily displayed on the back of the bike seats, so that WE can identify them & report them to the police when they are flagrant of road protocol and or causing damage. And yes, they too should be forced to obtain insurance, as there has been many a time that they refuse to stop when a car door is being open and bang into the car, creating damage.
Yes, it's time that these cyclists of yours become responsible road drivers as we all must be. NO MORE FREE LUNCHES MR. PERKS.......PERIOD!

Sorry, but I am so livid over this. I will not back down. It's bcos we all back down that they do what they want with us. Finally we have a mayor that also wants to clean up
our city of all these ridiculous political antics. Finally we have someone that has common sense and WILL listen to us. Our job will be to sign petitions to give him ammunition to work with. It's time that we all stop backing down!

ROADS ARE FOR CARS, SIDEWALKS ARE FOR PEOPLE AND BUSES EASE THE GRID LOCK BURDEN NOT STREETCARS & PLATFORMS.......PERIOD!

Missy,
Your doom and gloom rant will very soon be proven incorrect and I for one cannot wait for all who share your view to FO. Like other posters here, you DO NOT speak for not even a fraction of the businesses along this stretch and it is BS to say so. The BIA IS the businesses on this stretch. They all belong and they ARE in support. The loss of 2 car spaces in close proximity to any store is NOT a deal breaker for any business, when 20 others are available. Roncesvalles will NOT be a oneway street and to imply this just shows your ignorance of the project, especially now that construction is almost complete. Delivery trucks will still deliver product to this street in the same manner that they always have. The major problem that the store owners had was with last years sewer and the leaded watermain replacement which had no connection to sidewalk bumpouts. Get your facts straight before you spill your vile.

Seems to me that you must work for GORD PERKS.

I will be creating a petition and yes, we will see just how many store owners sign it. They already asked me to get one started. You get your facts straight.

I already experienced that damn bulging sidewalks, yesterday, and NO, I COULD NOT TURN MY CAR AROUND ON RONCESVALLES, I HAD TO GO ALL THE WAY DOWN TO SORAUREN AND HORSESHOE ALL THE WAY AROUND AGAIN.
GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.......NO MORE BACK TRACKING ON RONCESVALLES. NO MORE TURNING THE CAR AROUND TO GRAB THE PARKING SPOT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET AND NO.......NO......NO..... , MORE THAN 2 PARKING SPOTS OUTSIDE QI HEALTH FOOD STORE HAVE BEEN REMOVED ON BOTH SIDES OF THE STREET. NO MORE PULLING OVER BCOS THE BULGING SIDEWALKS FORBID IT.

Read this excerpt:

2. New and enhanced public spaces

Widened sidewalks and curb extensions will allow for new public uses such as patios, merchandise displays, benches, gardens or public art. These "bumpouts" will allow TTC riders to board the streetcar without crossing a lane of traffic. This plan will change Roncesvalles into a street that prioritizes transit, cycling and pedestrian uses over car traffic. This is in line with City policy, as well as the BIA’s streetscape strategy of 2003. While about 8% of our street parking will be lost, the plain fact is that Roncesvalles will never be able to compete with other shopping areas on parking availability. But Roncesvalles will offer something that a mall never can: a pleasant and distinct experience for shoppers who walk, cycle or ride the streetcar.

http://www.roncesvallesvillage.ca/index.php?l=roncesvalles-renewed&paged=6

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

I want to know who these BIA store owners are. I want to see them face to face. Post a list of their names for me.
I want to prove to everyone that these new streetcars were already a slam dunk deal and NO ONE had a choice.
Post their names for me. I want to do my home work rather than be like you and just shoot your mouth off without proof of the hidden agenda.

GORD PERKS IS ANTI CARS.......PERIOD. Google search it.
I am sure he will not force his wife to go on a bike to do the family shopping nor will she drag her groceries home on the streetcar and then walk.
Nor will she fight the grid lock traffic on Roncesvalles to do her shopping and keep circling the blocks until she finds parking, she will go to a car friendly plaza like the rest of us are being forced to do.
That is IF she does any shopping at all.

ROADS ARE FOR CARS, SIDEWALKS ARE FOR PEOPLE AND BUSES EASE THE GRID LOCK BURDEN NOT STREETCARS & PLATFORMS.......PERIOD!
No one in their right mind would serious suggest replacing the 504 streetcar with buses. The streetcar already can't handle the capacity, that's why we are replacing them with the 30-metre long streetcars.

Buses would make the congestion, travel times, and bunching worse; both for transit and driving. The cost of replacing the new streetcars with 3 times the number of bues is also not financially sound.

I guess if you want worse transit, and more gridlock you'd favour buses.

Why do you want worse transit and more gridlock?

And what's with the shouting?

No one in their right mind would serious suggest replacing the 504 streetcar with buses. The streetcar already can't handle the capacity, that's why we are replacing them with the 30-metre long streetcars.

Buses would make the congestion, travel times, and bunching worse; both for transit and driving. The cost of replacing the new streetcars with 3 times the number of bues is also not financially sound.

I guess if you want worse transit, and more gridlock you'd favour buses.

Why do you want worse transit and more gridlock?

And what's with the shouting?

Hello, to many of us capitals are not shouting......they are highlighting. I am old school and in my day capitals were and still are used as highlighting.......PERIOD!

There are buses on Roncesvalles right now and yes they pull over and no they do not create a grid lock bcos cars can pass them by. An no, the new buses DON'T put out the pollution that you have been convinced of. End of story!

Well, I wouldn't count on the good behaviour of someone signing up for a forum account with an email address like hers. In fact, agent provocateur comes to mind.

AoD

Roncesvalles, the NO CAR ZONE!

I have chatted with most of the shop owners on Roncesvalles and NONE OF THEM WANTED THE STREETCAR, THE PLATFORMS & THE LOSS OF PARKING……PERIOD. They stated that is was forced upon them. The shop owners know that the loss of parking & making Roncesvalles into a one way street to accommodate the platform will cost them the return of the car shopping customer, which they have lost due to the construction. A HUGE PERCENTAGE of shoppers on Roncesvalles were car drivers.

Now that Roncesvalles will officially become a NO CAR ZONE, the shop keepers will loose out.
Lets face it folks. Just how much product does a cyclist or woman pushing a pram filled with kids or seniors with electric cart buy? NOT MUCH AND THAT IS A FACT. Car shoppers buy HUGE amounts of product as they have the means to get it home.

If the people of our community thought beyond their own selfish desires, they would realize that it takes great expense to keep a store open and showing a profit. They obviously don’t have any conception of the costs of running a business and what their selfish desires have done long term to our merchants & to the community.

I pity our hard working shop owners, for they will never regain the lost business of the car drivers, bcos no one will want to fight the GRID LOCK of traffic of a one way street blocked by streetcars, platforms & lack of parking that Roncesvalles will now become. I could understand all this if there was a central parking lot available…….but there is not!

What will all those cyclists & pram pushers do when many of the stores will have to either DRASTICALLY RAISE PRICES to make up the loss of income, which will not make them competitive in the market place OR LACK OF SERVICE/QUALITY OR CLOSE DOWN?

I am seriously disappointed with BIA & councilor Gord Perks for NOT listening to the shop keepers needs for financial growth & instead catered to the needs of those that DO NOT BUY MUCH MERCHANDISE TO BEGIN WITH.
And I did knot know until now that Gord Perks is Anti Car and Pro Cyclists.

Gee, I wonder if Gord Perks practices what he preaches and makes his wife takes the bike or streetcar to do her family mega shopping?

Strolling, sitting or biking around does not fill the cash registers……period! And what's with these benches that will be place directly in front of the limited allotted parked car and their fumes. Yeah right. I can really see a senior enjoying a mouth full of exhaust fumes. Bright, real bright.

Delivery trucks, snow storm pile ups, grid locks........WOW, and that's suppose to make for a fun shopping experience on Roncesvalles.

Shame on those that demanded this heinous, senseless anti car reconstruction plan…….Shame on YOU for literally driving away business!

I love satire.

Given that you claim falsely that there will be no cars, and it will be a one-way street, why would anyone believe for a second that you have chatted with most of the shop owners, given that you are so unfamiliar with the project?

The only parking that's been lost is about 1 parking spot per streetcar stop. Even if they hadn't have done anything, they would have had to have removed some street parking at each stop to handle the new streetcars. The old 15-metre long ones have about 9 metres between the front and back doors. The new 30-metre long ones have about 26 metres between the front and back doors. Even the 23-metre long ALRVs that the 501 and 504 use have only about 18 metres between the front and back doors. The loss of parking spots was going to happen anyway, sooner or later.

Obviously you have NOT been outside the Qi Health food store have you? WAY MORE THAN 2 PARKING SPOTS MISSING ON BOTH SIDES OF THE STREET.
And I do not think that cyclists, non car owners qualify to comment on road ethics, protocol, grid locks or anything else that has to do with driving a car.
Why, bcos they don't drive!

Back