119     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if all those poor people at Ford Fest realize what Ford's voting record is like? I bet if they knew, they might have second thoughts. Here is just a sample.

In 2009, Ford voted against funding the 311 service he later bragged about.

In 2011, Ford made cutting service on dozens of TTC routes part of his budget.

In 2013, Ford voted against refurbishing playgrounds.

Ford has repeatedly voted against funding child care funding and child care subsidies.

In 2013, Ford voted against increasing homeless shelter beds.

In 2011, Ford voted against community development grants aimed at preventing violence.

In 2011, Ford voted against community development grants aimed at providing recreation services.

In 2011, Ford voted against community development grants to improve lives of seniors, immigrants, disabled & poor.

In 2011, Ford voted against grants for groups working on race relations, gender equity, literacy & disability.

In 2011, Ford voted against funding groups working with vulnerable, marginalized & high-risk communities.

In 2011 Ford voted against grants to:
Variety Village
Crime Prevention Association of Toronto

Ford voted against grants to:
Etobicoke Services for Seniors
Rexdale Women’s Centre
Canadian Hearing Society

Afghan Women’s Organization
Council of Agencies Serving South Asians

-Learning Disabilities Association of Toronto District
-Cabbagetown Youth Centre

-Native Child and Family Services of Toronto
-Somali Immigrant Aid Organization

-Malvern Family Resource Centre
-New Canadian Community Centre

-Parkdale Community Health Centre
-Canadian Tamil Youth Development Centre

In 2012, Ford voted against accepting federal funding for a year-long gang intervention project.

In 2012, Ford voted against funding for 22 groups working to prevent violence in priority neighbourhoods.

In his 2014 budget, Ford tried to abolish all free recreation programs.

Ford's 2014 budget includes cuts to after-school programs & school nutrition programs.

In 2012, Ford demanded a 10% cut to Toronto Public Library budget, entailing reducing hours at 56 branches.

Mayor's "savings" without impacting services. #1 Cut planting of 97,000 trees next year in TO"

Mayor's "savings" without impacting services. #3 cut programs for low income kids at rec centres."

Mayor's "savings" without impacting services. #6 Cut shelter and support staff."

In 2014 Ford voted against a motion to ask federal & provincial governments to budget money for TCHC repairs.

During Ford's mayoralty, the TCHC repair backlog has increased by $200 million.

In 2011, Ford turned down province’s offer to hire two public health nurses for Toronto at no cost to the city.

In 2011, Ford voted against accepting provincial $ to encourage residents to be screened for HIV and syphilis.

One public health nurse turned down by Ford would have worked with new immigrants on disease prevention.

Second public health nurse Ford turned down would have worked in a poor neighbourhood to promote health services.

In 2014, Ford voted against a proposal to improve services for homeless gay youth.

In 2013, Rob Ford cast the decisive vote to keep city owned playground sets replaced only every 70-80 years.

In 2012, Ford voted against accepting fed funding 4 year-long gang intervention project.

Somebody should have printed up fliers of Ford's voting record and given them out at Ford Fest.

Last edited:
I wonder if all those poor people at Ford Fest realize what Ford's voting record is like? I bet if they knew, they might have second thoughts. Here is just a sample.

Somebody should have printed up fliers of Ford's voting record and given them out at Ford Fest.

Yeah but none of those things benefit *me* so they're just gravy!

It's important to realize that most of Ford nation does not see the value in most social programs, and from their perspective each and every one of the items on this list is something somebody is either profiting from or benefiting from undeservedly (e.g. the lore about middle class families using food banks).

For it to hit home, you'd need to point out a cut to something they actually use. And it wouldn't be enough to just cite a budget cut, because they'd assume it's just the gravy being cut and that they'd retain the same benefit. You'd need to show them exactly how it's going to give them a hard time. And most likely they still won't believe you or will try to rationalize it in some other way such as claiming the bureaucrats administering the program were stealing the money and that's why it had to be shut down, etc.

Last edited:

There's always the other Ford Fest...and the pile of debates that will be coming soon: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I wouldn't be so sure with that bet. The hardcore FNation, will not budge an inch. Ford's tactics has worked in the past, we'll see if it still has any traction now. City hall business is mostly out of sight out of mind for most people. That's how Ford can vote against the interest of the people he claims are his 'nation'. Not everyone watches City Hall voting feed, on this at least Thug is somewhat correct. If something constructive\beneficial does happen, he can swoop in and steal the credit by simply showing up. Even after voting against it. He will show up in person, camera crew in tow, then do the meet and greet and say 'No one has done more for X than Rob Ford.' His actions to date shown he has little to no shame or scruples holding him back, and he plays that as a strength.

For the hardcore FNation, him showing up in person is proof enough that Rob cares. No one else has shown up, only Rob. Media also lies every time they say something bad about Rob. Even if other councilors voted\worked for their benefit, if they don't play the retail game at least a few times, guess who can steal the limelight.

For the moderates, while that list is good info, it's the presentation. A list is a good starting point, but it might have better chances if presented non confrontationally, non judgementally, and more conversationally. No one likes being talked at, or down to. This is actually something Rofo is pretty good at on the retail pol level. He can do the humble public servant schtick one on one pretty well. I definitely want to see more people and candidates who are level headed, prepared with facts, and can talk to and genuinely listen to people. Because if they can do just that, I think they can clean the clown mayor's clock, politically speaking.

That, or print that list on a giant parchment and nail it to the door of the Cathedr..I mean City Hall.

Last edited:
But has the Fords ever named-dropped Muzik. The conflict doesn't come with only the Ford's (or any corrupt elected official) hyping their name. But the Mayor giving them sweetheart deals or front of the line public services for exchange of their "donation"

Actually, when caught at Muzik, Robbie could not shut up about how he was good friends with "Z", right up to until Robbie was no use, and became an embarrassment. We have yet to hear if EM has received favors for service, or be a an active lobby in which they promote a monopoly. All the info out there is that Doug Sr. used them, so maybe there is provincial connection.

It could be as simple as fathers knowing each other.

Last edited:
Yeah but none of those things benefit *me* so they're just gravy!

It's important to realize that most of Ford nation does not see the value in most social programs, and from their perspective each and every one of the items on this list is something somebody is either profiting from or benefiting from undeservedly (e.g. the lore about middle class families using food banks).

For it to hit home, you'd need to point out a cut to something they actually use. And it wouldn't be enough to just cite a budget cut, because they'd assume it's just the gravy being cut and that they'd retain the same benefit. You'd need to show them exactly how it's going to give them a hard time. And most likely they still won't believe you or will try to rationalize it in some other way such as claiming the bureaucrats administering the program were stealing the money and that's why it had to be shut down, etc.

I think this cartoon captures the low-income conservative mindset pretty well.

as-a-potential-lottery-winner-i-totally-support-tax-cuts-for-the-wealthy-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

Attachments

• as-a-potential-lottery-winner-i-totally-support-tax-cuts-for-the-wealthy-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg
    as-a-potential-lottery-winner-i-totally-support-tax-cuts-for-the-wealthy-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,032
I used to ride a bus that he was a regular patron of. He's not so funny when you see him harrassing scared teenage girls and the driver on a regular basis.

Zanta is mentally ill. That's not a slur, but admitted, recorded fact. He's done interviews mentioning his severe manic-depression exacerbated by his divorce and loss of custody of his son is part of what triggered the Zanta character. He's now living with his mother, taking his meds and not frantically doing push-ups in front of tourists.

If Zanta were a 65 year old, 350lb man, his actions long ago would have earned him a "nutjob" label and far less nostalgic sentiment. As with Shirtless Joe, the only reason people took him more seriously is due to his physique. It's a sad statement on what we value as a society; that "attractive" people earn more respect, admiration and credibility for simply being pretty.

^ Love this comment: "Good place to buy. I scored, good quality. Also-sluts galore!"

I remember a guy telling me about the police denying his application to join because his father had been a member of the Bund.

He was angry at his father, but his dad explained the only reason he went to the rallies was to pick up women. He had no interest in politics.

Not sure what the kids thought of it ( the three in the pic look confused ), but, as an adult, I don't mind seeing that sort of exhibitionism. In fact, I'd have been cheerin' them on! LOL :cool:

View attachment 30534

"Ford Nation worships MESSiah Rob Ford at FordFest! "SECURITYyyyy!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odSvtxiPnys

Was it a quick peck or more of a make out kiss?

-2 of RoFo's suited minions (Graham MacEachern and Dan Jacobs) came up to talk to me. Wished I'd had a video camera (which probably would have made them scurry like cockroaches).
there's a Ford Fest video embedded at the end of this National Post story about Norm Kelly (?!) which includes a brief clip of Graeme saying "you're all invited and welcome here"

and a nice clip of you making your sign with my bike right behind you -- including the pink ribbon attached to the rack which i've had since anti-bullying day in april

In 2013, Ford voted against refurbishing playgrounds.

Ford has repeatedly voted against funding child care funding and child care subsidies.

In 2013, Ford voted against increasing homeless shelter beds.

In 2011, Ford voted against community development grants aimed at preventing violence.

In 2011, Ford voted against community development grants aimed at providing recreation services.

In 2011, Ford voted against community development grants to improve lives of seniors, immigrants, disabled & poor.

In 2011, Ford voted against grants for groups working on race relations, gender equity, literacy & disability.

In 2011, Ford voted against funding groups working with vulnerable, marginalized & high-risk communities.

In 2011 Ford voted against grants to:
Variety Village
Crime Prevention Association of Toronto

Etobicoke Services for Seniors
Rexdale Women’s Centre
Canadian Hearing Society

Afghan Women’s Organization
Council of Agencies Serving South Asians

-Learning Disabilities Association of Toronto District
-Cabbagetown Youth Centre

-Native Child and Family Services of Toronto
-Somali Immigrant Aid Organization

-Malvern Family Resource Centre
-New Canadian Community Centre

-Parkdale Community Health Centre
-Canadian Tamil Youth Development Centre

In 2012, Ford voted against accepting federal funding for a year-long gang intervention project.

In 2012, Ford voted against funding for 22 groups working to prevent violence in priority neighbourhoods.

In his 2014 budget, Ford tried to abolish all free recreation programs.

Ford's 2014 budget includes cuts to after-school programs & school nutrition programs.

In 2012, Ford demanded a 10% cut to Toronto Public Library budget, entailing reducing hours at 56 branches.

Mayor's "savings" without impacting services. #1 Cut planting of 97,000 trees next year in TO"

Mayor's "savings" without impacting services. #3 cut programs for low income kids at rec centres."

Mayor's "savings" without impacting services. #6 Cut shelter and support staff."

In 2014 Ford voted against a motion to ask federal & provincial governments to budget money for TCHC repairs.

During Ford's mayoralty, the TCHC repair backlog has increased by $200 million.

In 2011, Ford turned down province’s offer to hire two public health nurses for Toronto at no cost to the city.

In 2011, Ford voted against accepting provincial $ to encourage residents to be screened for HIV and syphilis.

One public health nurse turned down by Ford would have worked with new immigrants on disease prevention.

Second public health nurse Ford turned down would have worked in a poor neighbourhood to promote health services.

In 2014, Ford voted against a proposal to improve services for homeless gay youth.

In 2013, Rob Ford cast the decisive vote to keep city owned playground sets replaced only every 70-80 years.

In 2012, Ford voted against accepting fed funding 4 year-long gang intervention project.

In the context of this list, it's pretty clear that Rob Ford voting against the homeless shelter for gay youth wasn't homophobic in and of itself (though Rob Ford almost certainly is). Rob Ford is simply opposed to all disenfranchised and vulnerable people, sexuality doesn't need to be part of the equation.

In the context of this list, it's pretty clear that Rob Ford voting against the homeless shelter for gay youth wasn't homophobic in and of itself (though Rob Ford almost certainly is). Rob Ford is simply opposed to all disenfranchised and vulnerable people, sexuality doesn't need to be part of the equation.

I think Rob just votes 'No' because of his own personal issues. It's not even as concrete as he's against everything -- remember, he voted no on the Mandela vote just because he wasn't listening -- but rather that he's convinced himself all government is bad, so I vote 'no' on everything. My personal belief is that he thought becoming Mayor would allow him to effectively vote no -- i.e., actually just stop all government like an Ayn Rand character writ large -- and then he became Mayor and realized that it doesn't work that way. Ever since, his substance abuse has been worse as he tries to solve the cognitive dissonance in his head.

The psychologist who 'distance diagnosed' him as having no ability for abstract thought was bang on, IMHO.

And, in an ADMA-like dark twist, I think Ford getting re-elected will almost assuredly kill the man. It'll take about two weeks before he's once again stripped of his powers and this time he wouldn't even get the grace of his first year+ with rookies like Matlow, nor the 'comfort' of his pathetic relationship with his brother. I'd put him on suicide watch election night.

I think Rob just votes 'No' because of his own personal issues. It's not even as concrete as he's against everything -- remember, he voted no on the Mandela vote just because he wasn't listening -- but rather that he's convinced himself all government is bad, so I vote 'no' on everything. My personal belief is that he thought becoming Mayor would allow him to effectively vote no -- i.e., actually just stop all government like an Ayn Rand character writ large -- and then he became Mayor and realized that it doesn't work that way. Ever since, his substance abuse has been worse as he tries to solve the cognitive dissonance in his head.

The psychologist who 'distance diagnosed' him as having no ability for abstract thought was bang on, IMHO.

And, in an ADMA-like dark twist, I think Ford getting re-elected will almost assuredly kill the man. It'll take about two weeks before he's once again stripped of his powers and this time he wouldn't even get the grace of his first year+ with rookies like Matlow, nor the 'comfort' of his pathetic relationship with his brother. I'd put him on suicide watch election night.

I've been told by people who work at City Hall and attend council meetings that they think he usually just glances at whoever puts forth the motion and votes based on whether he likes them or not. And given his relationship with most of council, that means he'll default "no" in almost any situation. Even the majority of his own appointments to executive committee are now considered his enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back