186     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 321     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day, another hypocritical Ford statement...

m_layton 8:17am via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Ford proclaims April 28 Day of Mourning for workers killed on the job, but voted against enforcing Westray laws to see they get justice.

what's up with all of the cheap looking "discover the world in one city" shirts? Is this the Fords sly little way of getting around some campaign spending rules?

Those were the free t-shirts given out to the first 1000(?) people. I believe it says "Ford Nation" on the back.

And Stintz too, yesterday posted a picture of a Canada Post truck parked on St Clair East just east of Yonge, blocking a lane. Asked her what she plans to do. Her (her staffer) just sent me talking points about appointing a 'transportation czar' to oversee yada yada yada real time yada yada... OK... what's he/she going to do? There are always delivery vehicles on St Clair. There's nowhere else for them to go. They get ticketed, all the time, that's just cost of doing business.

I'm so frustrated with these candidates. I can almost see why some people would vote for Ford, his message is simple. I'm hoping Soknacki or Chow get strong in the coming months ... I'm getting worried.

They can often go on a side street or use a back entrance. The frustrating thing about Stintz is that she offers no details.

what's up with all of the cheap looking "discover the world in one city" shirts? Is this the Fords sly little way of getting around some campaign spending rules?

One of them, yes. The wholesale cost of the t-shirt, provided it is fair market value, is a fundraising expense (there is no limit on fundraising expenses), and the difference between that cost and the retail price of the shirt is not counted as a contribution (so again there is no limit).

They can often go on a side street or use a back entrance. The frustrating thing about Stintz is that she offers no details.

Not at Yonge and St Clair they can't :/ Not any side streets at the big office buildings, surface parking in the back when it exists is access-controlled. It's a nightmare. Hiring some guy to say "yep, it sucks" isn't going to change anything.

Those were the free t-shirts given out to the first 1000(?) people. I believe it says "Ford Nation" on the back.

If that is correct, the answer does not change. If the launch was a "fundraising event" then there was no limit on what the Fords could spend on give-away crap, even if they did not try to sell that crap to raise funds (so long as the crap was given away at a "fundraising event"). Amongst other things, the fact that is was promoted as a campaign launch kinda gives the lie to the claim [made by Doug Jr.] that it was a fundraising event. But, as we know, under the existing gutless rules any complaint about that would not be dealt with until after the election.

Last edited:
"For Fundraising": bottom right.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 865
This conversation brings up an interesting point about how and why we elect people to council. I've mentioned in other posts that I have worked on political campaigns before. I've always found it odd that people will bring up a complex problem - like narrow roads where vehicles have to stop to make deliveries and then pepper a candidate with questions about what they are going to do and then dismiss said candidate if they don't have an immediate and detailed answer. Candidates know this is coming so they try to rehearse stock answers to things they cannot possibly know the answer to but I'm curious why people think any candidate will have a good answer to these types of questions?

Almost none of the people who run for council are experts in transportation or infrastructure. Ideally they should be someone who can think creatively, work with others, find support, know where to get funding, represent us with dignity, be able to make tough decisions when required and get things done on time and within a budget. It's a waste of time to ask candidates these types of questions. It only creates a situation where the focus is diverted to whatever pet peeve is on the asker's mind. And it effectively eliminates good, honest candidates when others are willing to bluster their way through baloney answers to please angry voters. Rob Ford said that he'd end the gravy train. Isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place? All the clues were there before he was elected. His criminal activity, arrest, spousal abuse, unwillingness to work with others, attitude that everyone else is stupid or corrupt. It was under our noses and he was still elected simply because he promised lower taxes and less "gravy". How easy was that?

Can you imagine going into a corporation to apply for a job as a secretary and be turned away because you couldn't answer a question about how to improve the company's stock prices? It just doesn't happen - so why do we do this when hiring people to sit on council? We don't elect people to personally solve these issues but we do elect them to work with people who can create an environment where things get done.

Have we lost our collective minds?

Not at Yonge and St Clair they can't :/ Not any side streets at the big office buildings, surface parking in the back when it exists is access-controlled. It's a nightmare. Hiring some guy to say "yep, it sucks" isn't going to change anything.

There was no reason that CP truck couldn't have parked on Alvin, or even pulled up onto the generously wide sidewalk around the corner on Yonge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back