249     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 238     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never tried anything (#shelterdlife :p) but some people who have "partied" in their youth, upon hearing the crack confession, said "why, oh why would you do crack if you can afford cocaine?"

Never tried anything (#shelterdlife :p) but some people who have "partied" in their youth, upon hearing the crack confession, said "why, oh why would you do crack if you can afford cocaine?"

Where's the dang "LIKE!" button? That made me laugh.

Mayor Rob Ford's re-election campaign is ramping up this week and Councillor Doug Ford is promising more Hollywood theatrics.

Doug Ford revealed Monday that Jimmy Kimmel -- the U.S. comedian that interviewed the mayor last week -- will be a guest on an upcoming episode of the Fords' YouTube show.

"If it was up to (challenger John Tory) and (NDP MP) Olivia Chow, they'd make sure it was winter all the way to October," Ford, who is the mayor's campaign manager, told the Toronto Sun. "When the snow melts -- have you ever seen Braveheart when the guys are coming over the hill? That's going to be Ford Nation coming at these guys. That's strength is the ground game."
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/10/jimmy-kimmel-to-be-guest-on-ford-nation-youtube-show
Worst Campaign Manager in the history of Toronto.
I'm so glad that most of the campaign relies on the youtube channel that noone watches, and making bizarre "this is war" statements like that.

As for "when the snow melts" - that's when the potholes become apparent and the city will see that individuals directly phoning the mayor to complain about the pothole outside their house is completely ineffective.

As for the other thing - I've done both. The first hit off a pipe is incredibly intense, and sets you up to chase after the same rush from each subsequent draw, with diminishing returns. A few hours later your brain is left begging for 'one more hit' even though it's not nearly as powerful as that first one and you're really just trying to maintain the numbed out bliss. So it could be 4, 5, 6 am and you start making those phone calls to Sandro Lisi and if he's not answering, trying others in your list hoping to find another rock from someone.
And while crack is "cheaper" by the gram than coke, it will drain away all your money (unless you're rich like a Ford, I guess).

Last edited:
Stimulants are okay in moderation. Every housewife in the 1970's was on "diet pills" which were basically just time released speed. They got an awful lot of housework done and stayed trim in the process. lol

OT but they were more likely to be on "mother's little helper" - i.e. valium. Dexedrine (dexies) are nothing to joke about. Have a friend who takes them for ADHD and borrowed one when I had a ton of work to be done - damn thing kept me awake for over 48 hours (no that's not usual, but I had an undiagnosed mood disorder) - there's a reason these things are prescription-only now, folks.

Re Kimmel/Doug- really, he's going on about this still and thinking the guy's gonna do a youtube clip? Really?

My favourite part of that Sun article quoting Doug:

"Kimmel will be joining the Ford brothers on their Ford Nation YouTube show via Skype, according to Ford.
The Fords are also working on a putting on a version of their Ford Nation online show with a live audience.
"It will go worldwide," Ford said."

The Rob Ford Scandal...and resignation comparison with the US...

Got to love the ever more desperate parsing of the dead enders still trying to find a way to justify the unjustifiable.

Anyway, you're right "Toronto Mayor Caught Doing Lines On Camera" would register just as highly with people.

What makes the story shocking is not just the 'what' anyway, its the fact that he refused to resign after it came out that he had lied about the cocaine for 6 months.

There are NO examples of a politician refusing to step down after they committed an act of such monstrous dishonesty. it's the fact that he is insisting on hanging on to power that is creating the massive circus surrounding the scandal at this point.

That's why Doug's ridiculous whining about the "bad old Toronto media" is such BS. The US media has never dealt with a politician trying to hang on after a scandal of this magnitude. Down there they do the decent thing and step aside, or they are forced out.

Deepend: Good post and thoughts - I agree with you about your thoughts about the RF Scandal had he been Mayor of a US city and
that he would have been forced out of office by now...

A good recent example that I can think of is the former Mayor of Trenton,New Jersey - Tony F. Mack was convicted of financial wrongdoing
in office and even though these charges were felonies he would not resign - and he ended up being forced from office by a court ruling
against him...Trenton now has a new Mayor - George Muschal - who is trying to get the City back on track after these problems...
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_F._Mack

With this comparison can those opposed to Ford be able to get a Ontario court ruling that can force him from office?
I will add that a conviction would more then likely be necessary and even then RF would probably fight any move that
would remove him from office unless he was forced to resign by the court short of a jail sentence...

I do feel that once RF is out of office that Toronto will change its City Charter to amend laws that will never allow a fiasco
like this to occur again...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
I do feel that once RF is out of office that Toronto will change its City Charter to amend laws that will never allow a fiasco
like this to occur again...
LI MIKE

That would be a provincial decision. Best the City could do is pass a resolution to request the change.

Political parties at the municipal level and IRBs would go a long way to keeping nut jobs like Ford and Mammoliti out of office.

That would be a provincial decision. Best the City could do is pass a resolution to request the change.

Political parties at the municipal level and IRBs would go a long way to keeping nut jobs like Ford and Mammoliti out of office.

Maybe, but on the other hand we would then be forced to deal with party politics at the municipal level. City council deals with stuff that affects people at a much more personal level than what goes on at the provincial or federal levels, and I want my councillor to be accountable to me and his/her other constituents more-so than a party leader or a party platform. Our system works well when the right people are elected. Rather than toss our system to keep nuts like Ford and Mammoliti out of office I think we should be working on laws/incentives that encourage the right people to run and the wackjobs to stay home.

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 8.56.37 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 8.56.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 8.56.37 AM.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 493
Does anybody think totally destroying the Ford family name and flushing their father's life's work down the toilet has made Doug come a bit unhinged? The persistent war references in their campaign seem not just unnecessary but kind of offensive and weird. This is a MUNICIPAL ELECTION, for chrissakes.

He's definitely unhinged, but so was the father. I think unhinged is just their style and it becomes more apparent the more stressful things get.

That's a common line (heh) of argument and has some merit, but it astonishes me how many Ford friends/fans talk as if cocaine use were the only wildly inappropriate thing Ford has done while in office. It's as if they haven't read or watched anything over the past ten months.

+1

It's as if each thing/incident exists in isolation and should be excused as an aberration because Ford is not - and of course none of us is - 'perfect'. And then there's the all-important fact of each misstep being situated in the past. Because that's more excusable/understandable than things that are happening right now. I can just see Ford smoking crack at a press conference and then the minute he puts the pipe down, the apologists rush to point out that he has stopped and is moving on.

In addition to that, Ford supporters also overlook the lying that surrounds pretty much everything he either claims credit for or denies having done.

Pattern:
-rumour of misdeed
-denial by Ford
-evidence surfaces and/or Ford admits to something
-Ford emphasizes past-tense nature of misdeed, desire to move on
-clamouring by Ford crackolytes to move on, citing human fallibility
-complete absence of apology by Ford for lies/denial (ACC, juice-throwing, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back