376     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 992     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 850     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awfully quiet from the Ford camp today. Didn't even see a brief statement regarding Massoudi's longtime service to the mayor or a hope for the best in his health issues.

The pictures I saw of him at City Hall depicted RoFo looking very tired.

Awfully quiet from the Ford camp today. Didn't even see a brief statement regarding Massoudi's longtime service to the mayor or a hope for the best in his health issues.
That's because Massoudi was the communications guy

I hadn't noticed, but that is strange. The Mayor's office gave statements fairly quickly when the other staff left, "xxx left to pursue better opportunities". Two people leave for various reasons, Amin because of cancer, and not a peep? smh.

Has anyone here actually tried both coke and crack? I'm curious if they actually do have the same effect. I've had both passed to me but I passed it on. Actually one of the last times I partied with Sandro they were passing a crack pipe around in his car.

I can't believe there isn't a single person here who will admit to doing these drugs. I guess I'm the odd man out here.
I have not smoked crack cocaine, but I was a wild child in the 80's when cocaine was very popular. I used it recreationally a few times. It was fun but it's easy to see where it could go badly. I've seen a few people lose control on this and other drugs. I never developed a taste for any mood enhancers so my foray into that life was very temporary.

In my limited experience, cocaine doesn't make a person feel out of control like LSD, mescaline or even pot (for some folks paranoia and minor auditory or visual hallucinations come with weed), but it does make them more energetic and make other people seem more interesting - rather like booze without the hangover or the increasingly poor motor co-ordination. Cocaine only lasts about 15 minutes before you need another line. After the last line is gone, cocaine users will move heaven and earth to get more. I have wondered about those early morning calls between Ford and Lisi as this is a huge indicator or drug use. Nobody likes the crash phase of cocaine. The stimulant effect causes agitation and sleeplessness which is an irritating combination. All forms of mood alteration have unfortunate crash periods (hangover) but the cocaine crash begins 15-20 minutes from the last dose rather than the next day. Like hangovers, there is no long term damage. It's just not fun.

I have friends who have used crack cocaine but it is indeed creepier to be around. Crack is made by combining cocaine with measured amounts of baking soda and rubbing alcohol and cooking. People who use crack do so because it's cheaper and gives a similar high to cocaine. Because it's smoked it takes less time to reach the brain and momentarily provide an intense high which levels out almost immediately. Cocaine and crack can be injected if processed for that use. The appearance of someone getting that first jolt by smoking is disconcerting to the uninitiated.

I will also say that not everyone experiences the same high. I knew a guy who was generally hyperactive to the point of being anti-social who would get very quiet and "normal" when on cocaine. For him it was almost medicinal. I don't understand why some people are wired differently but it illustrates that nobody should make blanket assumptions about any drug. Ford appears to react to booze/cocaine together like a man I once knew. He gets incoherent, rambling, over-stimulated. I think like everything else he probably does too much. The murder video reminds me of someone who is over-stimulated and drunk. The stimulation will allow him to drink longer.

If you are truly curious it's easy enough to find forums out there where users describe their experiences with various drugs. Studies are fine but there is a fine line between study and propaganda. The information doesn't always reflect reality and tends to describe the worst case scenario to scare the hell out people.

IIRC, beyond shouting out "subways, subways, subways" and that one meeting with developers in his office, I'm not sure he did ANY serious work on the matter. My take on Ford was (and is) he could care less if we didn't build ANY mass transit at all. All he wanted was a smooth drive for his Escalade.

Well, I was being generous with my "serious work" comment. LOL. I wish more people remembered the developers meeting. As I recall, the result was: "Yes. Great idea. No. We won't pay for it." So much for the private sector lining up. (I also noticed a distinct absence of major infrastructure companies.)

My only experience with crack vs coke lines is with dealing with users - doing lines people are hyper-focused and maybe manic; the crack addicts I've seen are all-over-the-place crazy/spaced while using.

I can't believe there isn't a single person here who will admit to doing these drugs. I guess I'm the odd man out here.

Oh, I'll freely admit to what I've tried...I just haven't tried crack to compare it to coke ;)

I was replying to your question, "But just referring to 'canvassing' (what's the origin of that term anyway?)"

Totally appreciate it. Still - and I have looked - there is no solid etymological reason why 'canvas(s)', especially given its origins, should come to mean 'walking around to see how constituents think and feel'. Which was Price's meaning or cover/dodge regarding phone-talking to Dixon POIs. Why use such an arcane term?

Don't want to go down rabbit derails here, and it was an aside, but, um, yeah, stumped. Ford(s) never use the word. It's either 'constituent meetings' or 'talking with taxpayers' or some such. Prices use of the word jumped out in a stark way (not that he necessarily knows what he's blabbing about) because it's such an 'earlier generation' olde-tyme word. My parents used to 'canvass' for preferred pols, and even as a 9-year old it struck me as a weird word.

I knew a guy who was generally hyperactive to the point of being anti-social who would get very quiet and "normal" when on cocaine. For him it was almost medicinal.

For those with hyperactivity disorders, stimulants have a reverse effect. My brother is a textbook ADHD case. My mother found the only thing that settled him down as a toddler was to give him coffee. Ritalin—known as an ADHD treatment drug—is actually heavy stimulant and is often used as a step-down drug to treat cocaine users looking to drop the habit (similar to how methadone is used for heroin addicts).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back