News   Jul 05, 2024
 516     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
An awkward time at the sit-in today:

Rob Ford Must Go:

Rob Ford just walked by with his kids.

His daughter sounded out the "Rob Ford must go" sign and then said "What does that mean?"

"It's democracy honey" he said.

"They should take it down" she said.

"No they have a right to have it there " he said - or words close to that effect.

Kind of shaky. Think he's in his office. We're continuing to pack up.

Toby & I are on our way out. Not into sticking around for further possible interaction today.

Europe is largely conservative by nature

Eastern europe and rising segments of western Europe have been trending towards conservatism and see immigrations and multiculturalism as failures.

'Conservative' is largely meaningless in a European context. The dichotomy there, as it is increasingly becoming here, is between authoritarianism and liberal democracy. And that authoritarianism is largely corporatist in form. Look at Ukraine, Those in the street are anti-Putin, pro-Europe. And, likely, more northern-oriented than otherwise. Look at France. They booted Sarkozy largely because of his efforts to implement austerity against all good economic sense. The French are 'conservative' inasmuch as they would prefer to 'conserve' their cultural traditions, which, Catholicism excepted, are largely liberal. LEF and all that. Amongst EU states, we could go on. But won't.

Then there's Norway. Wealthy social democracy. Not a member of the EU, but still trading within. But not willing to give up its social covenant for the sake of 'belonging'.

Assuming you are speaking of the rising tides of resentment in 'The West', those may be slotted into 1) fascistic (Golden Dawn, Jobbik in Hungary, even UKIP in Britain, etc.), They are the worst of the 'trending towards conservatism'; 2) anti-Immigrant (Some Dutch, various Scandinavians, UKIP again); and 3) various and sundry wacko nationalists. And yes, the resentment of which you speak is largely Eastern European - those who have to play catch-up because of the years of backwards tyranny under which they were basically Bonsai-ed.

So, yeah, let's take 'Conservative' with a grain of salt.

Rob Ford is not conservative. He's an ignorant, talking point regurgitating, Bircher. Amongst principled conservatives he doesn't stand a chance.

So, yeah, let's take 'Conservative' with a grain of salt.

Rob Ford is not conservative. He's an ignorant, talking point regurgitating, Bircher. Amongst principled conservatives he doesn't stand a chance.

....aaaand thank you for bringing this back on topic!

Does anybody remember the expression Rob Ford used during the budget Council meetings to claim that he's poor? Something like "I don't have where to fall dead" or "I don't have two quarters to rub together". I remember it being so galling and I need it to make a point.

Does anybody remember the expression Rob Ford used during the budget Council meetings to claim that he's poor? Something like "I don't have where to fall dead" or "I don't have two quarters to rub together". I remember it being so galling and I need it to make a point.

I'm poor as a church mouse.

I know he used "poor as a church mouse" just don't know if he used it at CH or in council...

I know he used "poor as a church mouse" just don't know if he used it at CH or in council...

i was in chambers when he said it during the budget meeting. he was responding to councillor grimes, who offered to put in $1 million to fund the pan am games opening ceremonies if rob matched it.

An awkward time at the sit-in today:

Rob Ford Must Go:

Rob Ford just walked by with his kids.

His daughter sounded out the "Rob Ford must go" sign and then said "What does that mean?"

"It's democracy honey" he said.

"They should take it down" she said.

"No they have a right to have it there " he said - or words close to that effect.

Kind of shaky. Think he's in his office. We're continuing to pack up.

Toby & I are on our way out. Not into sticking around for further possible interaction today.

Holy sh1t - a human moment out of Rob Ford. Why can't he be like that at other times...?

(Edited) I want to focus on the fact that it sounds like he was actually giving his daughter some honest commentary
- not the blow hard rhetoric he normally snivels....

Last edited:
Firstly, to zang, I think that the idea that visible minorities are immigrants and white people are not immigrants is not necessarily accurate in our city anymore.

I'm pretty sure you missed the part where I said "visible minorities AND immigrants".

Wow - Imminent bad news perhaps or just an absence of reporters...?

He was there to pick up a picture of Hazel McCallion to give her for her birthday... which there's some unconfirmed chatter indicating the Ford brothers crashed uninvited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back