4.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 675     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Ford, I hope that Dale gets him; it's not just the interview, it's the pattern and refusal to apologize. Vision and Black should have known better too.

One thing I'm not entirely clear about: If Ford apologizes does this entire lawsuit thing go away? Is that how this works?

To make it even more succinct, here is a very partial record of said instances:

That's why. And UT is a moderated forum - per the Forum Rules. This is not *your* view - it is THE view.

AoD

Thanks to you and ShonTron for the detailed responses. I think you owe the forum no less in such cases.

I'll grant you there are at least 2 bits in those quotes over the last 2 years that I would call hate speech. In my opinion stuff like that should be deleted and the poster reprimanded. I don't think however this was such a time.

I admire Peepers for bringing his views here in the face of a hell of a lot of opposition. I hope he'll come back when the ban expires. And that the mods will think very carefully before invoking censorship of political views around here in future.

This is not your living room. In my view it is a public place, where speech should be respected, and protected.

Internet messages boards, chat rooms, comment forums, etc., are NOT public spaces, so please don't kid yourself. They are privately owned and often moderated; the owners and moderators are free to set whatever terms of use and restrictions they like; they can bar you for any reason they see fit (ideally they are reasonable and at least tie it to violations of the terms of use), and you really have little "right" or legal recourse to fall back on. Just because it's free to sign up does not make it a free-for-all. Good owners and moderators have a vested interest in keeping the community harmonious and functional, so users don't leave.

So that's the "letter of law" context. If you're trying to invoke some kind of "spirit of free speech and fulsome debate" argument on behalf of Peepers... come on. It seems to me that a solid number of UT users had legitimate problems with a lot of what Peepers was posting---he was certainly called out countless times for intellectual dishonesty and arguing in bad faith. Users would often try to engage him and from what I saw he would largely sidestep the responses. The pattern was mostly to show up, poison the well with statements any idiot would know to be inflammatory within the context, and disappear. Eventually the majority got fed up and started complaining more regularly to the mods, who, quite simply, did their job.

One thing I'm not entirely clear about: If Ford apologizes does this entire lawsuit thing go away? Is that how this works?

I would think in this case the apology would have to be detailed and unequivocal, including a complete retraction of several falsehoods that Ford knows, or ought to have known, were untrue. Is Rob Ford even capable of apologizing in this manner?

I would think in this case the apology would have to be detailed and unequivocal, including a complete retraction of several falsehoods that Ford knows, or ought to have known, were untrue. Is Rob Ford even capable of apologizing in this manner?

According to Ford via (insert name of news organisation here), no.

If the apology goes like this (From Dale's article):

"As my libel notice says, I’m asking Ford to immediately retract the false insinuation that I am a pedophile and all of his false statements about my conduct on May 2, 2012. I’m also asking Ford and Vision owner ZoomerMedia to apologize immediately “publicly, abjectly, unreservedly and completely.”

"Abjectly" kinda stands out. And one guesses Ford won't get away with, "Gee, I'm sorry he took it the wrong way." or whatever go-to false apologetic construction he might have hoped to use. 'Insinuation' is quite clearly part of the action. Finally, as it's libel as opposed to slander, the notice charges that Ford and Vision, in broadcasting the offending statement, 'published' it.

BbVRfduIAAAP27J.jpg:large

troll alert...troll alert...troll alert

You joined in November. Unless you have gone back through my posting history, you do not know what I am referring to. I'm not bringing up anything about Layton - I'm bringing up a prior discussion which happened here on Urban Toronto.

Sadly, perjury isn't really a thing. It's on the books, but the odds of Ford being charged with it are infinitesimal, even if he repeatedly lies in court.

Maybe Ford's defense will be to say that reputation is worthless anyway. "Look at me, I'm a drunk-driving lying buffoon with criminal pals, and I'm the Mayor!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back