34     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 861     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony in this whole situation is that if Ford wasn't so fiscally conservative ($5000 and a car? That's it? Really????), he probably would have gotten away without anyone finding out. If he was a "tax and spend" liberal he would have offered up a $100k+ to make the video disappear. That would have bought him a few months until his next public bender (which by the way, he is overdue for...)

Last edited:
Most of these criminals are from families that came to Canada as refugees. For reason's I don't quite understand our political leaders in Ottawa felt that Canada had an "obligation" to grant asylum to the largest number of Somalia refugee's in the industrialized world! For instance the Somali diaspora in the United States is numbered at about 100,000. We have that many in Toronto alone! A casual look at crime reports would seem to indicate that at least 50% of the violent crimes including murder involve people from within this group. Of course none of this should come as any surprise. Somalia is the most lawless country in the world where piracy and extortion crimes are a way of life for many. Of all the places in the world why did they choose Canada - a country with a hostile winter climate - to settle? For the same reason that Minnesota is popular with them. Easy and very generous welfare benefits and social services.

Well, for once you're making some sense. That's probably the most accurate thing you're written in this thread.

We have known all along that Ford was recklessly associating with drug dealers and gang members (hopefully he has left these associates far behind on his road to recovery).

I'm putting the over/under on his continued existence as a living human at 15 months. Ford would have to have gargantuan self-resolve to kick a habit as well developed as his without getting any help and also being in a highly stressful public position. This is a recipe for bad, bad relapse. If he is actually trying to clean himself up, this could be a really dangerous time for him. A high percentage of drug-related deaths comes when a person relapses and goes straight back to using prior quantities that got them high when they had high tolerance.

It's easy to be moral when you're earning a good living.

Tell that to Rob Ford. Ted Bundy was a very intelligent guy that could have done anything with his life, but he decided to kill several women. And what about the majority of poor people that don't commit serious crimes? There is no excuse to get involved in criminal activity -- some people just need to work harder for their successes than others. Life is unfair.

1) Canada grants asylum to refugees from war-torn lawless countries whose criminal records - if they have one - are impossible to verify. Even if they commit crimes once in Canada we cannot deport them because their "lives would be at risk". Canadians are paying a big price for this policy. Don't kid yourself!

2) Doug Ford has never been charged much less convicted of an indictable offense in Canada so why would he be denied a green card? Because the Globe and Mail came out with an unsubstantiated story that Doug sold drugs when he was in high school? smh!

Peepers, Are you saying you don't believe the Globe and Mail story?

My other reaction to this ITO, is why are we letting so many criminals and gang bangers into the country? Sorry, I had to say it. They never came to Canada with marvellous intentions and intend on carrying on like in their old countries.

This criminal element was always here; look at the mayor for fuck's sake. To think otherwise is racist and monumentally ignorant; punch yourself in the throat a bunch of times please.

This criminal element was always here; look at the mayor for fuck's sake. To think otherwise is racist and monumentally ignorant; punch yourself in the throat a bunch of times please.

It's funny that some want to paint the Somalis as criminals when the real criminals are rich spoiled brats like Rob Ford who go out and buy the drugs from them. The drug dealers are supplying crackheads like Rob Ford with what they need. If they are considered criminals and gang bangers for selling drugs, then Rob Ford is a criminal for buying illegal drugs from them.

Ah, but remember, the American news agencies aren't interested in this from a political narrative at all...they aren't going to vote for him. They are just interested in the train wreck part. Non locals don't have a back story, so they are naturally interested in how the man can retain the approval rating he has (not that it's huge, but that it's anything at all)

But they are inadvertently hurting us Torontonians by allowing people to perpetuate the myth that while his personal behaviour is not what people approve of, his fabulous fiscal policies are. Except the bottom line is...he has been a fiscal nightmare. Yet the American channels will let that one slip unchallenged.

The local media has failed epically on most levels in reporting the Rob Ford scandal accurately and fully, let alone his alleged fiscal policies. Only recently have page 18 stories touched on the fudged numbers along with independent sources like NOW, Torontoist and BlogTO, which actually lead the charge several months ago.

You forgot the little bit about Ford buddy Lisi being charged with extortion in attempting to retrieve the video. Only a fool would think Lisi would undertake that enterprise on his own volition. And no, it is not absolutely clear that Smith was murdered by rival extortionists with today's release. Nothing about today's revelations exonerate Ford, or position him as a victim. Nothing.

Ford will always be a victim to people like Peepers. It's the sad reality of something...I don't know what, perhaps lack of critical thinking skills. No idea. Let's stop catering to crack pots like Peppers, who would have been most likely to pitchfork Svend Robinson over his much lesser crime. This is how the people in Ford Village roll when their Village idiot is in trouble. It is just sad.

Not really trying to go anywhere with it. I just mean immigration applications should be screened for the type of activity they will bring into the country. If I wanted to immigrate to the USA for example, I would not be allowed in with a criminal record. Of course I don't think criminal activities should be left to native born.

They are. Applications have to include a record of any criminal history. That's just the first step if you're coming to Canada on a work visa, or as a permanent resident. There's another security/criminal check before your citizenship application is approved. I went through the process. It's not easy to immigrate to Canada.

Offences are probably investigated in refugee claims to see if they were politically motivated.

Let's not forget that many of the people living in Dixon road and similar communities were born in Canada. So it isn't simple case of criminals 'being let into Canada' (or you assuming that's what happens). They turned to crime for many reasons while being raised here. It doesn't help that people assume they are criminals just because they are immigrants from a particular country. Or their parents and grandparents are immigrants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back