34     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 861     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well, at least we can look forward to generational progress, selflessness and sacrifice by the Boomers as they retire, increased solidarity among working folks, a trend toward income equality and a more informed and engaged electorate.

If we could transform sarcasm into electricity, we could power the city for the next 50 years on this post alone. ;)

Hahahaaaa.....yeah, it made me laugh too.

I'd give it as much as 75 years of power. Well past my final bedtime.

Is it because I hate Tim Horton's?

I knew it!
I must not even be a real Canadian, having been born in Southern Ontario notwithstanding.

I live in the burbs outside of TO, so I can't vote there. I ride my bike, I've had lattes working downtown and I own an espresso machine. I'm a fiscal Conservative by definition. I think bicyclist should have a say and right in the city. I have no problem with marijuana smokers, but nothing harder. I liked Harris, even though my wife's a teacher. I own a business and I love drinking on the weekends and sometimes during the week. I hate Rob Ford.

O...m....g........a latte-sipping non-elitist. Or is that suburban elitist?

What's that you say? Nonsensical slogans are for Neanderthals? Word.

Maybe one day we'll rid ourselves of the rhetorical gibberish-speaking politicos. One can dream.

The thing about slogans is that they have a shelf life. Like the whole Sarah Palin "Maverick". Everyone wanted to be a maverick in the US back then. Now the word has become a joke. Just like the name Ford eventually will. I hope not the car company, though. I've never actually owned a Ford, but I like their cars.

The thing about slogans is that they have a shelf life. Like the whole Sarah Palin "Maverick". Everyone wanted to be a maverick in the US back then. Now the word has become a joke. Just like the name Ford eventually will. I hope not the car company, though. I've never actually owned a Ford, but I like their cars.
Apple was very close to naming their current Mac OS X "Maverick." They named it "Mavericks" after the location in California. I also wonder what the Dallas NBA team think of Palin.

Ford Motor Company distanced themselves from the Toronto mayor.

Apple was very close to naming their current Mac OS X "Maverick." They named it "Mavericks" after the location in California.
I think it would be more accurate to say that the name Apple chose is close to "Maverick" -- their new OS naming scheme is places in California, replacing their "big cats" scheme used previously. (In other words, I don't think Apple was ever considering the name "Maverick", so wasn't ever really close to naming the OS X version that.)

(And I guess it shows how little concrete Ford news there is when one is discussing operating system names...)

Well, they ain't the best cars around, but they sure are better than that GM rubbish.

Some slogans have a shelf life, maybe, but some don't seem to. I've been hearing the oft-repeated "taxpayer" rubbish for years. You know, the one where only some citizens are true citizens and the rest are presumably leeches and only some politicians stand up for the true citizens, etc, etc, etc.....my mind hurts just thinking about it.

In fact, it all reminds me of a poli sci course I took at Carleton where we learned about classical oratory and persuasion.
This sort of sloganeering is classic rhetorical misdirection and obfuscation and has no basis in logic.

Which obviously makes it the purview of crooks and idiots and complete nonsense. Which explains why the Fords would use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back