736     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 670     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 297     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
To put these new poll numbers into perspective Rob Ford has a higher approval rating than the un-elected Premier Wynne who last week was calling for Fords ouster

Incorrect. If you want to put poll numbers "into perspective", then you would have to have a poll that actually asked that question. And did she really "call for his ouster"? I don't think she did, but if she did, she wouldn't be saying anything the vast majority of people have already said.

Several people have called you out on this already, so I won't bother pointing out how dumb your "unelected" comment is. Since you haven't bothered to defend your comments, my opinion is that you really aren't quite that dumb. I think you know the "unelected" comment makes no sense, but you choose to use it anyway. This is a level of dishonesty in discourse I find very hypocritical of those of the conservative-thinking inclination, whom are always taking the position of righteous indignation over the actions of others.

So many errors in one small sentence...stupidity or dishonesty...your choice.

I'm telling you, if they want to do a film treatment, they should do it David Simon styles: 13 episode miniseries. Make the regular cops the focus. Start with a routine drugs investigation. Hell, start way back in 2012 to the Eaton Centre shooting. Give us insight into the Dixon Road area, into racism, accurately depict the Somali community and their relationship with police, and local police work. Introduce Ford in like, Episode 3.

We learn about Ford as the police...and the media do. Like in the real story.

There is just so much more compelling material here about the face of Toronto, the weird politics and demographics of Etobicoke, the relationship between the police and Crown lawyers, the legality of the wiretaps, the work of traditional print journalists in a digital world, the possible small-time corruption of 23 division. Gary Giroux as the guy LITERALLY one year from retirement.

I so want to fucking write this...

I'm still way back here trying to catch up with this thread, but I love Dubster's thinking here. I'm guessing Giroux is somewhat of a Lester Freamon type? I'm assuming we'd get a few Dolittle/Donovan centred episodes?

I think you could also have fun borrowing from Martin's devices in Game of Thrones, and mashing it up with Simon's style. Feature a different character every episode, centre that story around that character's perspective/worldview.

Unfortunately I'm not hopeful that the correct people will produce the story, I fear we'll see a cheap MOW that preserves the myth of Ford's fiscal conservancy, while portraying him as a victim of his own vices. After all, cheap MOWs make money, gritty serials with high degrees of verisimilitude, not so much; the ignorant masses get bored, and/or don't understand the plot.

I would sign a petition demanding Dubster do the story justice though ;)

IdZ1fON.png

The majority of the respondents are aged 55+.

Thanks for the screen grab! I think these numbers have more to do with likely voters based on the last election. While this is incredibly inaccurate already based on the likely big turnout for the next election, it's also not quite the same thing as saying this is what Toronto actually thinks about the mayor. I wish a public figure would point this out. Hell, I wish Goldsbie would point this out. It's very dishonest.

So now we don't have to think of the children? They've been ok all along? Hard to believe Ford told a lie. /total complete sarcasm

I work in Regent Park. Last year a young guy died, shot in a stairwell, as he was going to buy steroids. Apparently, steroid use is up among male high school athletes, and that has led to a lot of trafficking among kids younger than would be expected.

If RF has connections to "Juicemen", and others convicted of trafficking steroids, could he have been involved in introducing them to these football players?

I work in Regent Park. Last year a young guy died, shot in a stairwell, as he was going to buy steroids. Apparently, steroid use is up among male high school athletes, and that has led to a lot of trafficking among kids younger than would be expected.

If RF has connections to "Juicemen", and others convicted of trafficking steroids, could he have been involved in introducing them to these football players?
Absolutely. In all seriousness, I have often wondered about this type of connection with Ford and the football team. Since I actually do care about children, I hope it's not the case.

I'm still way back here trying to catch up with this thread, but I love Dubster's thinking here. I'm guessing Giroux is somewhat of a Lester Freamon type? I'm assuming we'd get a few Dolittle/Donovan centred episodes?

I think you could also have fun borrowing from Martin's devices in Game of Thrones, and mashing it up with Simon's style. Feature a different character every episode, centre that story around that character's perspective/worldview.

Unfortunately I'm not hopeful that the correct people will produce the story, I fear we'll see a cheap MOW that preserves the myth of Ford's fiscal conservancy, while portraying him as a victim of his own vices. After all, cheap MOWs make money, gritty serials with high degrees of verisimilitude, not so much; the ignorant masses get bored, and/or don't understand the plot.

I would sign a petition demanding Dubster do the story justice though ;)

Heh...thanks for the vote of approval! Though I would need money up front to do take the time to do the script justice...

So Ford was driving drunk home from the BBQ, and police went by later to check on him? WTF?

I'm pissed at the Police about this as well. There had better be a conviction at the end of all of this.

I think pointing out the things mentioned earlier re: Tavener, etc, to Doolittle and Donovan and Cooke would probably be the best bet.

That's not really good enough to be acceptable, and is a pretty slippery slope when you get into police corruption. If we let this slide on the "culture" excuse, who's to say the police won't abuse their powers in return for person and monetary gain? I don't have much time for cynicism. It's what got us Ford.

The thing is, it's not new and it's not unique to Ford, and there are indications that the investigation was not put into better hands when it was taken away from Taverner (I'm referring to the fact that one of the lead detectives is the loyal spouse of a demonstrably corrupt cop whose corruption brought down an entire police division's undercover squad before he was let off by the judiciary).

Yes, it is shameful and sickening that we pretend to have the rule of law in Canada, but at the same, I have to ask, "Where have you been?"

So Ford was driving drunk home from the BBQ, and police went by later to check on him? WTF?

I'm pissed at the Police about this as well. There had better be a conviction at the end of all of this.

I think pointing out the things mentioned earlier re: Tavener, etc, to Doolittle and Donovan and Cooke would probably be the best bet.

For me, the sad thing is that TPS actually comes out better than I was expecting — I kind of just assumed Blair would be doing his part to cover for the mayor. He's a lot more honest than I expected.

For me, the sad thing is that TPS actually comes out better than I was expecting — I kind of just assumed Blair would be doing his part to cover for the mayor. He's a lot more honest than I expected.

We're not the only ones questioning this:

Joanne Nicolle ‏@JoanneCangal 51m
Could it be that RoGo has been granted a long-standing carte-blanche in certain sections of the city??The Star-> "Project Brazen 2 #TOpoli 1

Paisley Rae ‏@paisleyrae 43m
@JoanneCangal don't forget, he got into office after a failed run in 97 by teaming up w dad & tps to rid scarlettwood courts of drugs

Joanne Nicolle ‏@JoanneCangal 35m
@paisleyrae Just to be clear it's not Blair that I think has been allegedly running interference for some #TOpoli residents.

Elliott RossPaisley Rae
8:02 AM - 22 Nov 13 · Details
Paisley Rae ‏@paisleyrae 33m
@JoanneCangal I would be genuinely surprised if he was. It just doesn't fit.

les williams ‏@leswilliams2 20m
@JoanneCangal @paisleyrae Supt. Ron Taverner of 23 Division is a well know friend of the Ford family.

Starting to wonder if today's Star article was at least partly a way of shifting the focus back to Taverner and 23 Division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back