794     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 719     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you have a land line at home? I can't think of ANY of my pals that do.
i guess maybe i can't be your pal, because i have a land line (also, i have no cellphone/smartphone/mobilephone/tablet -- never have, never will)

and while you might guess that i'm a fair bit older, i am ~not~ ford nation

furthermore...
  • i don't have voicemail -- i tell my pals that if they call me and it rings, and rings, and rings, and rings, that means i'm out
  • i don't have caller id -- if i want to know who's calling, i answer the phone
  • i don't have star 69 -- if it's important, they'll call back

I have a landline because Rogers gave it to me for free :) The only calls I get on it are surveys and wrong numbers.

i guess maybe i can't be your pal, because i have a land line (also, i have no cellphone/smartphone/mobilephone/tablet -- never have, never will)

furthermore...
  • i don't have voicemail -- i tell my pals that if they call me and it rings, and rings, and rings, and rings, that means i'm out
I've always had a deep respect for the Amish.

furthermore...

Do you have a rotary dial phone too? :p

I have one at home and younger kids don't believe it's a phone!

Let's wait to see what the results of the next Ipsos-Reid or other non-Forum polls say.

Is it just me, or does Ron Taverner bear a strong physical resemblance to an older Doug Ford?

I realise it's meaningless, but when I decided to find out what Taverner looked like I was fairly gobsmacked by the resemblance. Funnily enough, the best image I found was the first frame of a video describing how Taverner plans to "keep the Dixon Road area safe".

Worth noting that Blair himself "considers the veteran officer a role mode", and Taverner's own staff appear to believe that Ron walks on water. Of course, that's his official police bio, so doesn't necessarily reflect the rank and file.

Last edited:
To put these new poll numbers into perspective Rob Ford has a higher approval rating than the un-elected Premier Wynne who last week was calling for Fords ouster (in a poll conducted the end of September Wynne had a 39% approval rating).
[/url]

Fucking hell, Joe. Do you not understand how the Westminster system works? If you're going to call Wynne an "un-elected Premier", then you had better also describe Harper as an "un-elected Prime Minister".

Fucking hell, Joe. Do you not understand how the Westminster system works? If you're going to call Wynne an "un-elected Premier", then you had better also describe Harper as an "un-elected Prime Minister".

I wish someone would tell this to all of those talk radio hosts who like to go on in the same vein.

Notice how Peepers has not actually responded to anyone calling him out on his dumbass "unelected" comments?

He knows what he's doing... trolling for Ford Nation.

surprised that such trolling is tolerated on UT. He should be given a few weeks vacation for purposely shit-disturbing.

Notice how Peepers has not actually responded to anyone calling him out on his dumbass "unelected" comments?

He knows what he's doing... trolling for Ford Nation.

surprised that such trolling is tolerated on UT. He should be given a few weeks vacation for purposely shit-disturbing.

Joe Warmington knows what he's doing, you mean. He does exactly the same thing on his Twitter feed.

furthermore...

I've read that Rob Ford's voicemail has a tendency to fill up. What is the capacity for voicemail, in terms of length and number of recordings?

I have a landline, too. Age 35-40. :p

Most family/friends I know have one. A few younger cousins don't, but I think it's also to do with their frequent moves due to changing jobs/relationships, travel, etc. You can usually keep your number but it's a hassle to keep calling and having it moved to other addresses. Not sure if they'd get one if they "settled" somewhere, had kids, etc.

I'd love to save the money, but I can't get past the fact that when the 2003 blackout occurred, it was only the landlines that worked, not the cellphones. I keep thinking: what if I'm just super-busy and forget to plug in my phone to charge it? Then there's a power failure and a my cellphone has no juice, and then something happens that I need to call 911 for...

I'd assume that Ford Nation would be less likely to have a land line.

I have a land line. Can't understand why most people don't have one ... the sound is clearer, and if the hydro is out for a few hours, the cell phones are useless. Even living near a major artery, I often only have 1 bar of coverage in the basement, and I know of others who get 0 bars, and keep missing calls. Most importantly, cell phones do emit potentially harmful radio waves at short distances. If you read the pamphlet that comes with phones these days, there's a safety warning to keep the phone greater than 1.5 cm away from the body when transmitting ... probably fine for a 30-second phone call occasionally, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to accept the cancer risk if they were a heavy user, such as 30-minute or so a day.

Generally I'd think that land line usage would increase with both income, and education. Rob Fords support decreases with both income and education. So I'd think any survey relying on land lines, would bias against Ford.

I have a land line. Can't understand why most people don't have one ...

My total time making personal voice calls (outside of work) totals on average 3 or 4 minutes per month. That's why I don't have a landline.

Even my boomer parents text me now to arrange family get-togethers etc.

Last edited:

The difference is that Wynne has yet to take her party to the polls as leader, and thus has a weak mandate to govern. Most leaders who inherit a mandate end up losing the next election so there is some merit to the idea. Or she digs chicks. Whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back