787     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 711     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the pollsters are kidding themselves.

How many of you have a land line at home? I can't think of ANY of my pals that do.

I think the same people that do, combined with the same people that would spend 20 minutes doing a survey over the dinner hour, equal Ford Nation.

Hey, I got the call, have a land line, spent 12 minutes in the evening doing the survey = NOT FORD NATION :confused:

My guess would be that Taverner is not going to get in trouble for running defence for the Fords. I think it's a fact of cop life that both rank-and-file and leadership have their allegiances and regional loyalties, across the city. It's not "right" but it's a quietly accepted part of the culture. Blair probably knows there would be a lot of negative consequences internally if he made an example out of Taverner or the division as a whole.

That's not really good enough to be acceptable, and is a pretty slippery slope when you get into police corruption. If we let this slide on the "culture" excuse, who's to say the police won't abuse their powers in return for person and monetary gain? I don't have much time for cynicism. It's what got us Ford.

I think the pollsters are kidding themselves.

How many of you have a land line at home? I can't think of ANY of my pals that do.

I think the same people that do, combined with the same people that would spend 20 minutes doing a survey over the dinner hour, equal Ford Nation.

Bingo! Now that said, you do have to read the report to see how the demographics was broken down as well.

AoD

Who's to say how much evidence wasn't destroyed by these pieces of human garbage wearing police uniforms for 23 division? How does Ron Taverner still have a job? I hate this city. Giant stinking pile of bullshit.

Edit to add that I'm writing a letter to my city councillor about this. I want the OPP involved. Now. I want public statements and questions about this. I'm furious.

Me too. While obviously much has been invested in survelllance of Ford, there needs to be charges laid where it applies and it come out that the Toronto police have been covering for Ford then we need the OPP to be involved. There is no way we should have to put up with this!

How do we go about getting action on this?

That's not really good enough to be acceptable, and is a pretty slippery slope when you get into police corruption. If we let this slide on the "culture" excuse, who's to say the police won't abuse their powers in return for person and monetary gain? I don't have much time for cynicism. It's what got us Ford.

I hear you, and I wasn't trying to frame my comment as cynicism. Just saying there are forces working against Taverner getting nailed---maybe I should have added, "depending on what he's actually done." If it's just a case of keeping certain incidents quiet, and running media interference (e.g. "Ford was not involved in the bus incident"), then yes, I doubt he would fry for any of that. But if it can be proven that he or his division destroyed evidence, etc., then the situation could play out differently. Especially if the press starts looking at him a little harder.

HAHAHA Jesus Christ:

"The Star has also learned of other trouble calls to the mayor’s house, including one in 2012 in which local officers arrived to find Ford outside his house in the early morning hours yelling into his phone, while a stretch limousine idled on the road and its driver and a scantily clad woman stood in Ford’s driveway, arguing. An emergency official with knowledge of the incident described it to the Star."

Reminds me of this note from the ITO:
Police tailing Ford on July 2, 2013, saw him follow a white limo after stopping at the LCBO. Ford and the limo then pulled into a school parking lot. Both drivers got in back of limo and met for 15 minutes before exiting and driving away separately. The limo driver was identified by police. He had previously been charged with communication for fhe purpose of prostitution, but the charge was later withdrawn.
http://www.cp24.com/news/new-documen...ford-1.1541904

Same limo and driver perhaps?

Bingo! Now that said, you do have to read the report to see how the demographics was broken down as well.

AoD

They're available here [PDF]. I tried screen grabbing them but V bulletin doesn't like my files. Basically they skew very old:

Age*/*Gender*
%* Total* 18‐34* 35‐44* 45‐54* 55‐64* 65+* Male* Female*
Sample* 1049* 77* 163* 245* 269* 295* 477* 572*

Region**
%* Total* Toronto*or*East*York* North*York* Etobicoke*or*York* Scarborough*
Sample* 1049* 342* 224* 238* 245*

Why is everyone focusing on the 42 percent approval rating and not the 60 percent who want him turfed?

42% might be enough to get him re-elected. The other 58% aren't necessarily anti-Ford, not enough to go out and vote against him. Some probably don't much care either way.

Also, 42% is a weirdly high approval rating given Ford's track record, so it attracts attention.

They're available here [PDF]. I tried screen grabbing them but V bulletin doesn't like my files. Basically they skew very old:

Age*/*Gender*

Region**

Geez, and they have the gall to present this as representative? Like honestly.

AoD

Age*/*Gender*

Region**

IdZ1fON.png

The majority of the respondents are aged 55+.

From the latest Star article: "The sources say that because there were concerns that the mayor left the event impaired and drove back to the Grand Hotel, police visited him later that evening."

That's a tad vague. Where did they visit him? At the hotel? If so, was there no indication in his room that drug use had occurred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back