327     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 429     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like comatose Kelly will not support any motion regarding Rob that is expected from city council later this week.

I can't see how Rob Ford can be proven to be a conspirator. The guy can barely put a sentence together, let alone think strategically. Did he tell Lisi to get the video by whatever means possible? Maybe, but I don't see it. As far as I can tell, the people around the mayor do his thinking for him. Thus, guys like Lisi are more likely to have freelanced the job on the mayor's behalf, but without genuine direction. Depending on the actual facts of the case and how Lisi plays his defence, I could imagine him rolling up on someone like David Price, although that's utter speculation.

If anything, I'd imagine Doug-o was the one to give the marching orders here. He's certainly capable of sending goons to assault people (or worse), IMO. But that doesn't necessarily mean his idiot younger brother was unaware of the surrounding ugliness or that he disagreed with it. Rather the reverse, I'd imagine.

Thug (to Lisi): "We want that tape back! Get it by any means necessary!"

Slob: "Uh, yeah! What he said! Burrrrp! Any more chips?"

By the by, I tuned into Breakfast Television this morning to check up on the weather, and was treated to the "news" that City Hall is apprarently going to start hawking Rob Ford bobble-head dolls. Why, isn't that just darling? :rolleyes: Given what a disgrace the asshole is, I fear I must disapprove.

Let's be realistic here. The province isn't going to step in and remove Ford just because we don't like him. Sorry but it ain't happening. He hasn't been charged with a crime. He hasn't been arrested. I despise Ford as much as the next person but I don't want to see the province getting involved unless it is 100% absolutely necessary and we have not reached that at this moment. At this point it's still up to the people of Toronto to remove him come election time.

There is nothing in the City of Toronto Act, which governs the city’s relationship with the provincial government, that allows for the province to intervene in the city’s affairs in the event of a scandal.
The law says only that the minister of municipal affairs can dissolve the entire council and call byelections for all seats “if city council is unable to hold a meeting for a period of 60 days because of a failure to obtain a quorum.â€
The law also says a mayor’s office becomes vacant if he is absent for three consecutive months from council meetings.

Norm Kelly has been sickening. Similarly, Gord Perks is essentially defending Ford's right to continue on twitter at this very moment. I'm resisting the urge to jump into the discussion.

It makes my brain bleed to think that this will continue. At this point I am assuming the left is just waiting for further humiliation as opposed to ending it. They must be waiting to see Ford dragged out of city hall in handcuffs. While I can understand wanting to see this from an electioneering perspective, it's blowing my mind.

This whole thing is a nightmare.

I would be MORE than satisfied Ford resigning and being dragged out of his *home* in handcuffs. Suits me fine.

I'm more or less done with every member of council. Electioneering though it may be, DMW is the only councilor who is reacting to this in a sane fashion, seeing it for what it is. And I'm choking on the fact that I wrote that.

Minnan-Wong may be doing it for selfish reasons but the ends justify his means, in my opinion.

Norman K. is a JOKE.

Perks would speak the longest and the loudest when time to set the Integrity Commissioner upon someone for using envelopes from Pile A rather than Pile B, but when it's something serious like associating with criminals and refusing to cooperate with the police he is suddenly unable to do anything, because of that damn democracy.

It seems clear now that council will not be speaking in "one voice" for Wednesday's meeting. I guess a few of these comatose councillors really want their own three minutes of public humiliation on the Daily Show.

This was at Warren Kinsella's site today:

I generally don’t get very political on the morning of the eleventh day, but this year I will make an exception. As I was driving Son One to St. Mike’s this morning, we listened to CBC Radio, as always. We heard that Rob Ford would be attending the City’s Remembrance Day ceremony, despite the rumours flying about the next video, which shows a certain prominent city official passed out, gangbangers flashing their guns near his head.

I take it he's referring to video #2? "A certain prominent city official passed out, gangbangers flashing their guns near his head?" (!) Can anybody shed light on that delightful little claim?

Huh. Gangbang video after all!

ETA: I've heard nothing about those being the contents of V#2, but hey... anything's possible.

Last edited:
Thanks, I *did* miss it!

I agree with the dude's point that Perks sounds very thoughtful and reasonable and you want to like his Jimmy Stewart earnestness about democracy, but he's actually being hopelessly unrealistic and sort of oblivious to the extraordinary-ness of the situation. You can make the point that "you can't change the rules to respond to a specific situation, because then where does it end" but in another way, the whole point of democracy is not to have this kind of ideological rigidity---is to change the rules if people agree that it's necessary.

Perks would speak the longest and the loudest when time to set the Integrity Commissioner upon someone for using envelopes from Pile A rather than Pile B, but when it's something serious like associating with criminals and refusing to cooperate with the police he is suddenly unable to do anything, because of that damn democracy.

In Toronto, the Integrity Commissioner is part of our governing process. If there is something criminal to be addressed, that's what the criminal justice system is supposed to be there for.

Last edited:
I take it he's referring to video #2? "A certain prominent city official passed out, gangbangers flashing their guns near his head?" (!) Can anybody shed light on that delightful little claim?

I'm curious, has there been a compilation of all the possible contents of Video #2?
Because there's been a couple of different hints/innuendo from various insiders and pseudo-insiders about what Video #2 contains.
It may make it easier for us to speculate on the actual contents, if one were to collect all of them in one place. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back