759     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 910     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 636     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royson James was very anti-Miller but I wouldn't say the whole Star was. The paper IS generally Liberal/left-wing.

They did two articles during the Ford campaign that I think:
a) crossed the line
b) drove voters to Ford

One was a column by Heather Mallick that compared waking up after Ford's election to being roofied and date-raped. It wasn't funny. The other was an editorial urging people to vote for anyone but Ford. I may agree with the general idea but they made it too personal and desperate and made things worse. I don't even know what happened with Ford allegedly hitting the football player (his alleged reason for never talking to them), but in retrospect I feel like I'm safe in taking The Star's side there.

Still, they generally supported Miller and have been generally apoplectic about Ford. Even if the latter was for good reason, I do understand (at least to an extent) why people with certain worldviews treated The Star like the boy who cried wolf when the crack story broke (forgetting, of course, that Gawker broke it first and The Star provided independent verification).

It's a sad state of affairs all around is my point, I guess.

EDIT - Wonders of the internet, Mallick's column is still there for the reading...
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2010/09/20/mallick_waking_up_with_mayor_rob_ford.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
Something I find myself wondering about today...

How does addict Ford get his hands on alcohol/drugs now? Today, or tomorrow, or next Friday? I don't guess meetings with Lisi and those kind of people are a possibility any more. I know we call Doug an enabler, but I don't see him getting Rob some bottles at this stage.

After the Garrison Ball incident and again with the initial crack story (May), some people on the internet/twitter chattering about seeing him leaving the LCBO & commenting on it, but at that point -- whatever many of us thought about his drinking -- he was an adult and buying booze is legal, yadda yadda, etc. Then last Sunday the "apology" and promise to only have "a few pops" in his basement. :rolleyes: At that point it would be awkward but you'd still have his defenders saying "whatever he wants to do on his own time is none of our business" yadda, yadda, etc.

But now that people (even Doug) are talking about taking time off and maybe getting help, I don't think he can show up at an LCBO and buy a few bottles. And it's not easy for him to try to disguise himself. Even if he wears a jogging suit and baseball hat or something... his face has been all over the news and his body shape attracts attention (I know there's lots of overweight people these days, but still).

Yes, the Star actually endorsed Ford for council (it was posted here, months ago, I'm sure). The notion that they are a far left newspaper is outrageous. I view them as entirely centrist. They rarely endorse the NDP and in fact they were in favour of amalgamation (though I recall this being something about protecting their business interests as they had properties in North York and amalgamation helped them with zoning laws, I believe. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of this could chime in?).

They suggested voting for anyone but Ford because it was clear even back then that he was a (Gravy) Train Wreck waiting to happen. That's why this is so frustrating. None of his behaviour should come as a shock to anyone who was paying attention. The drugs, the violence, the lying, it was all well documented before the election.

None of his behaviour should come as a shock to anyone who was paying attention. The drugs, the violence, the lying, it was all well documented before the election.

Too true! One may be surprised at the 'quantity' of his bad behaviour in the last 3 years but he has behaved badly for years and he was always unable to work with Council colleagues (remember all those 44-1 votes before he was Mayor?)

In 2000, he was a "fresh alternative". Other than the tell-tale details of his parentage, nobody knew yet.

A funny thing dawned on me, though: had Halloween happened two weeks later, we'd probably be seeing people dressed as Diane and Kathy Ford...

The notion that they are a far left newspaper is outrageous. I view them as entirely centrist.

Politically, I would totally agree. Socially, they are Liberal, but considering they subscribe to the Atkinson Principles, being progressive is in their nature.

They may appear to be leftist politically, because they consider social justice as their duty, so when they smell a dirty politician, you can be sure they will go after them. And quite frankly, it is generally the right wing that is guilty of what the Star considers social injustice the majority of the time.

For those who point out that the Star never went after Miller with the same zeal as how they went after Ford are totally correct....they didn't. There's a reason they didn't, and it isn't because they are politically biased.

They suggested voting for anyone but Ford because it was clear even back then that he was a (Gravy) Train Wreck waiting to happen. That's why this is so frustrating. None of his behaviour should come as a shock to anyone who was paying attention. The drugs, the violence, the lying, it was all well documented before the election.

Yea...it's not like 10 years of Ford as a councillor didn't tell us everything we needed to know. But is wasn't just his cringingly bad behaviour, but his fiscal policies were a joke from the beginning.

But hey...the Star has been vindicated by know I think....just look at all the Rats jumping the Ford ship now...his so-called "allies".

Agreed, but who and why?

Even the minimal effort to set up the acct and post nothing tweets still seems like more work than the reward offered.

Is Kathy tweeting?

Is a pr firm readying a campaign?

Anyway, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back