2.7K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 669     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounded (to me) like yesterday's apology was a bit like a bank robber apologizing for parking illegally while he was robbing the bank. Surely, public intoxication is not what has this city in a tizzy?

You're all more or less right and wrong from my perspective (in terms of what/how of addiction). I was an addiction counselor for about 15 years. In terms of the recovery process, there is very little (which is not to say *no*, but really, very little) practical difference between being addicted to alocohol vs. cocaine vs. heroin, etc.

(there is obvious difference in the detoxification process, but in terms of true recovery, no)

Most addicts, if their drug of choice is not available, will substitute. Some have no drug of choice, as oblivion is oblivion. Clinically we would call this cross-addiction. Non clinically, we call this being a garbage can. Everything goes in. Can't score powder blow? Smoke crack, just once, 'til you can get what you like. Can't get that? Get drunk to forget you're not getting high the way you like. Anything to escape reality.

From the beginning, I've been pretty sure Rob Ford isn't a crack-addict specifically, or a regular/habitual (read: daily) crack user. I've been pretty sure he's a garbage can. Err, I mean Cross-Addicted
I think thats about right

I wonder if someone who is lawyer-ly could comment on how having the public view the object of extortion, could jeopardize an extortion case regarding said object. On the face of it, I don't see how it could. But IANAL :)

The Toronto Star had a good article on this

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._differ_on_whether_police_may_release_it.html

As you see opinions differ. Some lawyers feels there is no problem releasing the video in fact Police put evidence on public display before a trial all the time when it suits them, e.g. when they seize a cache of weapons or stolen property. If Bill Blair can go before the world and not only describe what is on the video but also pass judgement by saying he is "disappointed" in the Mayor why wouldn't it be OK to release the video?

I have a theory as to why the police announced just now that they "recovered the file" -- and why the timing was so convenient.

There has already been one jailhouse stabbing related to this. If this is connected to organized crime, than anyone who's cooperating with the cops will find their lives in severe jeopardy.

If the person lied about the video being deleted, the cops could be working to protect the identity of the informant, and disguising what information came from where.

Who wouldn't be. I desperately want to believe that someone is paying these people to say what they are. Nobody could be so gullible...

I would hope that these news and call-in stations are starting to track the numbers that are calling in...I'd be interested if they would provide some generic stats...% of calls with blocked number, % of calls from 416/905/other, % of repeat calls...I think we are all a little suspicious that this is an astroturfing campaign...they could implement a number of procedures to prevent this sort of thing...ie the person calls in, provides a number they can be reached at and are called back immediately...that would stop people with blocked/fake numbers from calling in...

Some of the newspapers (TheStar) could write a story about the procedures and systems in place at some of these call-in shows...my understanding is that some of them show the question to the host before the person is selected (obviously that doesn't stop the person from changing their question) but the honest people with tough questions may never get through...

Clearly they should also identify publicly when any "known numbers" are calling...for example Ian from Etobicoke...I assume he would have been calling from a known number if he had been the mayor...seems pretty straight forward to call this sort of thing out. "It's Ian from Scarborough on the line, who has called this show 5 times in the last month, 3 times as Mayor Ford, once as Gary from Scarborough and once as Ian from Etobicoke...Ian, what's your question?"

Last edited:
Does everybody think he is addicted to crack? I think he has a drinking problem and likely uses all sorts of drugs, but I don't know if I would say that he is flat-out addicted to crack. Does it even matter though? Is this an important distinction to make?

Who knows.

What was he buying from Lisi? Why did he meet him 100 times in 6 months? He certainly has no shame going to the LCBO and it wasn't booze in those plastic bags and manilla envelopes. He's a frequent use of some sort of substance and he's clearly addicted to it given how often he consumed it. He was getting furnished with small quantities of those drugs often so he could never get charged with possession beyond a limit that would have him do serious time. So we know how often he consumes drugs: every day. That's an addiction.

It's also the time of the day as well - this is office hour - who would actually have the time to call, wait for x minutes and chat in the office? It's a very specific demographic, and it is more or less his base.

AoD

While that maybe true, I still dont think he's a crackhead.

If he was he would eventually cave to his addiction and get caught buying crack, or get caught doing something stupid while wasted (like driving his car drunk and high).

Cocaine however, is something you can hide for a long time without people catching on

I'm sorry to be picking on you, but no. There are functional crack addicts, coke addicts, and alcoholics. They exist. They're among us. Obviously they're not as visible as other addicts, but that's by design.

If nothing else, I hope that this whole circus affords people the opportunity to learn something about addiction and substance abuse. We're all used to this image of the deteriorating crack addict sitting in an alley, but the fact is that the guy sitting in his living room while his family plays upstairs is exactly as likely to be on crack as that guy in the alley.

Someone, as ThoughtArcade says in their great post, like Rob Ford who is very likely addicted to 'substances' and will take whatever he can get to keep himself in a haze, has honed his skills for decades at appearing professional while indulging on the side. Unfortunately for him and all of us, the mask is slipping.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be picking on you, but no. There are functional crack addicts, coke addicts, and alcoholics. They exist. They're among us. Obviously they're not as visible as other addicts, but that's by design.

If nothing else, I hope that this whole circus affords people the opportunity to learn something about addiction and substance abuse. We're all used to this image of the deteriorating crack addict sitting in an alley, but the fact is that the guy sitting in his living room while his family plays upstairs is exactly as likely to be on crack as that guy in the alley.

Someone, as ThoughtArcade says in their great post, like Rob Ford who is very likely addicted to 'substances' and will take whatever he can get to keep himself in a haze, has honed his skills for decades at appearing professional while indulging on the side. Unfortunately for him and all of us, the mask is slipping
Ha ha....you're not picking on me.

And yes, you could very well be right. I dont know much about hard drugs. I used to work as bartender in the 90's for a cokehead owner, and thats how I learned a bit about the drug and how people behave on it. Other then that I'm pretty ignorant on the subject

It's also the time of the day as well - this is office hour - who would actually have the time to call, wait for x minutes and chat in the office? It's a very specific demographic, and it is more or less his base.

AoD
Yep, councillor Carroll brought that up, saying that the nature of her job keeps her so busy that she has no time to call, for example, her husband 8 times in a day, but the day Smith was murdered, a Thursday, Ford called Lisi 8 times.

If I were a journalist and I took notes every time I was told that Ford was away from City Hall meeting constituents I would compare my notes to the ITO documents and see if there were meetings between Ford and Lisi during office hours that matched days he was "meeting constituents". I would then write an article about it.

At the end of the day, what he smokes/inhales/swallow is the least of the issue - the main one is impairment on the job, association with known criminals and general unfitness for his job. That should be the focus.

AoD

via blog.to, why write to your councilor or exec committee when you can call/text Ford himself?

textstorobford.tumblr.com/

What could go wrong here?

Last edited:
I sent out some emails to the executive committee this morning.

Personally, I wouldn't waste your time sending them to his die hard loyalists. Notably, Crisanti, Leon, Di Girogio and Mammo.

I sent mine out to his "soft" supporters and those who have called him out thus far: Councillors Thompson, Minnan-Wong, Milcyzn, Crawford, Perruzza and Palacio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back