372     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those don't count for elitist pinkos like us (notice the royal plural).

Time was pinkos would identify with the proletariat and drink the same coffee. 'Latte-drinking elite' still sounds to me like someone who drives to Starbucks in a BMW in North Toronto, reads the Post and votes Tory, maaaybe occasionally Liberal.

Big news on the municipal voting front:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/06/12/toronto-city-hall-voting-reform.html

Toronto city councillors voted on Monday in favour of extended voting rights, different balloting, and online voting that could be a groundbreaking step towards electoral reform in Canada's biggest municipality.
If adopted, a key part of the proposed new measures would mean voting would no longer be restricted to only Canadian citizens, but also the hundreds of thousands of permanent residents living in the city, said Coun. Joe Mihevc.
In a separate vote that passed 26-15, council is also asking for a ranked ballot system in which voters would be asked to pick their preferred candidates in order.

I'm not so convinced that the conservative establishment (read: political operatives who work with the CPC/PCPO, and blue Liberals) is going to jump in against Rob Ford. Think of it from their perspective: If Ford is polling a stable 40% approval with a very loyal group of core supporters, and a strong left-wing candidate like Chow has the possibility to attract over 50% of the electorate, a second right-wing candidate would have a hard time doing any better than third place and all but guarantee a left-wing victory.

I think that the conservative establishment genuinely believes that Ford has made some significant accomplishments, but due to his personal problems, few would want to publicly align themselves with him. So the question is, would they be willing to sit out this election, accepting that a Ford victory is the least worst outcome? Or would they rather find a candidate they can publicly support, and damn the consequences?

Of course, the calculus changes if there's a whole slate of centrist and left-leaning candidates in the running.

I would be shocked if there is more than one lefty running in 2014. It is NDP tradition to have one party-supported "flag bearer" (see Miller, Pantalone). It is Olivia Chow's spot to lose. No way Giambrone, a former Federal NDP chair in good standing with the party, would go in and potentially split the vote.

The only exception I could see is Adam Vaughan, who works closely with NDPers on council but has never been a member, and has a fairly broad progressive coalition of NDPers, left leaning Liberals and the odd Red Tory or two. Still, I think his candidacy is unlikely given his perceived downtown-centrism and past statements on record.

Last edited:
The conservative establishment could be waiting for (what they consider) the inevitable Rob Ford meltdown before trotting out a candidate they have been grooming.

Given Ford's recent history of calling any publication that disagrees with him "extreme left wing" (ie: globe and mail on a recent radio show) I think anyone running against him that isn't farther to the right that he is, is going to be cast by Ford Nation as an extreme left wing candidate, whether it be left leaning Olivia Chow, right leaning Karen Stintz or anyone in the middle.

The difference though is that any other candidate can tell their supporters and the media to look at their record and prove that they're aren't on the far left and refute Ford's statements. Chow can't do that because as part of the NDP, she is technically the far left of politics.

I'm going to steal this comment from CBC. Sums up my opinion exactly:

For once, and probably the only time, I agree with Ford. How cant they vote if they're not a citizen? I don't think foreigners should have the right to vote. Health care, yes, vote, no. Become a citizen if you want your say, otherwise, leave it to those people that care enough to make a commitment to this country, and our way of life. I'm dating a foreign girl, and it bugs the crap out of me that she's been here five years and doesn't bother to become a Canadian citizen. She shouldn't have the right to vote.

applesack: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/06/12/toronto-city-hall-voting-reform.html

I think the case for voting at the municipal level is somewhat different from that right at the provincial and federal level, especially considering that Toronto is, like it or not, an International city. As to "commitment" - well, considering the turnout at the municipal level, what does it speak to the commitment of the citizens who didn't bother?

AoD

I think the case for voting at the municipal level is somewhat different from that right at the provincial and federal level, especially considering that Toronto is, like it or not, an International city. As to "commitment" - well, considering the turnout at the municipal level, what does it speak to the commitment of the citizens who didn't bother?

AoD

I agree with this. I think if they pay property taxes then they deserve a vote.

I'm all for the online voting. Fingers crossed that it is used next year. It spells trouble for Ford. Ford opponents are far more connected than his supporters and they are therefor more likely to vote.

If the Province approves any or all of these motions it won't be in place for next election. If I followed correctly, Internet voting is for those with disabilities.

If the Province approves any or all of these motions it won't be in place for next election. If I followed correctly, Internet voting is for those with disabilities.

That'll allow for a testing sample. Afterwards, internet voting would be expanded, allowing for corrections.

I agree with this. I think if they pay property taxes then they deserve a vote.

They pay taxes because we're generous enough to allow them to live in our country. I think most people would agree that if you had a stranger living in your house for 2 years, it would be reasonable to ask them to pay some of the bills. If you want the right to vote, become a citizen and show some commitment.

AoD

Seconded.

You mean we might not have Doug Ford to kick around anymore? From The Star, at this link:

Rob Ford’s brother Doug raring to help re-elect him, but won’t run for council again

Councillor Doug Ford says he’ll have lots of time to help brother Rob campaign to be re-elected mayor in 2014.

That’s because Ford doesn’t plan to run to retain his council seat, but rather is interested in seeking provincial office in the next Ontario election, in 2015.

Councillor Ford said the firing of Councillor Jaye Robinson from the powerful executive committee wasn’t a big deal, but Mayor Ford needs to have close allies around him as the election looms closer.

“We’re just moving forward,” Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday. “We’ve got to get ready for the upcoming election in January. We want to make sure we have a team that has the same priorities as the mayor.”

Candidates for mayor and council can register in early January. Voting day is Oct. 27, 2014.

Councillor Ford was asked who would run the campaign after key members from 2010, Nick Kouvalis and Richard Ciano, said they won’t help next year unless the mayor takes steps to address his “health and well-being.”

“I’ll be working on it,” he said. “I won’t be running next time; at least, down here I won’t be running. I’ll be running away from this place in 16 months.”

The Fords’ late father, Doug Ford Sr., was a Tory MPP in the old riding of Etobicoke-Humber from 1995 to 1999.

Doug Ford has expressed an interest in running in Etobicoke North. However, relations between Ford and Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak seem to have cooled.

Hudak attended last summer’s annual Ford Fest barbecue but was evasive when asked Wednesday whether he will attend this year’s event, to be held at the Ford family home.

“I’ll look for whatever venues I can find,” Hudak told reporters of his plans to preach the Conservative message across the province while the legislature is in recess until September.

Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back