1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the conservative establishment has no choice but to put a different candidate forward. They'll distance themselves very far from Ford. I can't see Ford having that 40%, by the way. Petulant guys like RF have a way of pissing off all but their diehards. Watch'n'see.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the next election, aside from who wins, will be exactly your point -- who will take the "conservative establishment" spot away from RF.

I think the conservative establishment has little choice but to support another candidate. Past his first year, Ford has been very ineffectual at pushing a conservative agenda, and is right now only a minor obstruction to more progressive policies. I don't see him gaining much support on council even if he manages to win the next election. The only hope for pushing through a more conservative agenda is for them support a right-wing candidate that can work with council.

Any commercial real estate experts here? How much do you reckon Metro Hall could fetch?

As much as $500 a square foot I would say. 155 Wellington went for $495 and Scotia Plaza for $630. Prime. I love seeing Dougie opine it is the top of the market and it should be sold. Like he(or anybody) knows.

I think we need to be careful when we say "conservative agenda" - the agenda for the elites (BOT, etc) can be very divergent with that of the grassroots. Just look at the whole transit file, for one. Same goes for residential property taxes, I believe.

AoD

Isn't Mayor Ford the very epitome of an Elite? Silver spoon, sense of entitlement, different path for judgment in the legal system versus say a kid from downtown who doesn't have (suspicious) ties to the local police force etc...

Isn't Mayor Ford the very epitome of an Elite? Silver spoon, sense of entitlement, different path for judgment in the legal system versus say a kid from downtown who doesn't have (suspicious) ties to the local police force etc...

Except Rob Ford drinks double doubles and eats Timbits. True elitists drink lattes and eat pain au chocolates no matter their background.

3. If Kouvalis doesn't work with Ford, he will sit out the election (he's not going to run against his friend)

One thing I can't figure out though is, if Ford is still sitting at similar 40% approval rates by the election, whether the conservative establishment will try to recruit an alternative right-leaning candidate. On one hand, they don't want to split the conservative vote against a potentially united left. On the other hand, they don't want their agenda to be pinned to Ford.
Two thoughts...
  • Kouvalis already campaigned against his buddy Ford when he represented the Fire Fighter's interests last year.
  • Indeed, I think RoDoFo cheapens the c/Conservative brand and they will go so far as to take a loss for the team to remove them from politics.

Ford Fest will be an interesting party this year. We'll see if any major Conservative party members come out to support him. Harper was there one year, Hudak was there last year, I believe.

In regards to who will run for mayor, I'd like to see Josh Matlow do it. Though, maybe not next year because he is a rookie councillor. But once he gets more experience under his belt then perhaps in 2018? I like the cut of his jib. He seems like a good guy.

Ford Fest will be an interesting party this year. We'll see if any major Conservative party members come out to support him. Harper was there one year, Hudak was there last year, I believe.

In regards to who will run for mayor, I'd like to see Josh Matlow do it. Though, maybe not next year because he is a rookie councillor. But once he gets more experience under his belt then perhaps in 2018? I like the cut of his jib. He seems like a good guy.

Over my dead body.

Josh is that you?

Those don't count for elitist pinkos like us (notice the royal plural).

Time was pinkos would identify with the proletariat and drink the same coffee. 'Latte-drinking elite' still sounds to me like someone who drives to Starbucks in a BMW in North Toronto, reads the Post and votes Tory, maaaybe occasionally Liberal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back