173     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 980     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This nonsense about the video "surfacing" has a very 1970's caper ring to it and completely ignores the fact that we are in the digital age where the video could be uploaded to Youtube for the whole world to see by the owner's sister while he's using the bathroom.

That's the whole point of "the video surfacing". Somebody at some point is going to get their hands on a copy, whether it be the owner's sister or a crack customer who stabs the video owner and runs off with the phone, to discover later that it's worth $200K.

Well if you're going to say that what they "saw" wasn't "witness" enough, then you're one of those people that thinks they're making shit up. I won't even bother.

"Surfacing" is a colloquial term and it applies to being uploaded to youtube as much as it applies to a tape coming out of somebody's closet. It's a metaphor derived from things floating to the surface (water? buoyancy? you understand?) and I'm not sure why you think it shouldn't apply to anything that "shows up", digital or not.

I don't know what they saw. Do you?

Well if you're going to say that what they "saw" wasn't "witness" enough, then you're one of those people that thinks they're making shit up. I won't even bother.

"Surfacing" is a colloquial term and it applies to being uploaded to youtube as much as it applies to a tape coming out of somebody's closet. It's a metaphor derived from things floating to the surface (water? buoyancy? you understand?) and I'm not sure why you think it shouldn't apply to anything that "shows up", digital or not.

Thanks.

I have learned to avoid the people who refuse to accept that, just because they didn't see it with their own eyes, it didn't happen. But only in cases where they disagree with what is reported. Or are in denial.

As for the Star, it certainly has its faults and weaknesses, but it wouldn't stake everything -- which it has -- on this story. If it had it completely wrong, it would be game over. These are precarious times in the newspaper business and, once your credibility is gone, it's gone. And I'm not just talking about with Ford Nation but with the entire city.

I will gladly take that bet. What are we wagering? :)

As far as The Star goes, in my opinion that is reckless and irresponsible journalism and erodes any credibility they have left in this city, regardless of whether reporting it is legal or not. Tabloid journalism at its finest. No proof, no witnesses, no evidence. Just reporting what they 'saw' or rather what they wanted to see.

Just so I understand, you're saying that two news organisations, independently decided to completely fabricate a story and coincidentally, the details of the story they fabricated matched up to a tee. Coincidentally, of course, since no video exists. Essentially, the three reporters from these two organisations claimed to watch a video that does not exist. In doing so, these organisations in turn are then risking the trust that millions of readers place in them because these two organisations, must have simultaneously changed their mission from running a reputable media organisation based on credible reporting to...well...only one thing...nailing Rob Ford. Is that really what you think???

Unless there's something particularly incriminating about this house, I'm having a hard time getting too excited about the story.

Notwithstanding, even if he's proven to have been a user I will likely still support him in the next election if his main rival is Olivia Chow. I do not like her or her politics one bit.
And your not concerned about Rob Ford's politics?

Are you not concerned about supporting a bigot? What does that say about you?

Actually, I believe one reason why Malvern2 ignores responses is that, like CN Tower, he's a serial placer-of-opponents-on-ignore-lists. So he's blurting in an echo chamber of his own creation...

To some degree yes. Note that mods and admins cannot be put in ignore lists, even though malvern2 and CN Tower generally disagree with AoD and ShonTron regarding politics (and we all know that AoD and ShonTron are mods).

Unless there's something particularly incriminating about this house, I'm having a hard time getting too excited about the story.
The story says that it's where a friend of Rob Ford lives, or lived. 15 Windsor Road, Toronto, if I'm not mistaken. Google says the phone is in the name of E. Basso.

What it might mean is that Rob Ford was lying when he says he has his picture taken with everyone. Why was he hanging out with a known drug dealer at the house of his friend?

Globe and Mail article on said house.

Seemingly useless, until this passage pops up: "Jerry Sorrentino, a 42-year-old plumber and Windsor Road resident, has urged the city for years to block the flow of foot traffic between the house and a nearby apartment complex known for gang violence."

Maybe the Star will have more about this...

Amazing! I was talking to a friend about this (we're architects after all), essentially saying "Why don't they just find the house in the photo, I'm sure it would go some ways towards showing that Ford wasn't just out and about but he was somewhere quite intentionally... Smith's house or whatever... and the 'I take pictures with everyone' excuse will be full of new holes". We agreed that the only people that could really do that are Ford, or one of the guys in the photo or people that he knew...

I really hope it pans out the way I thought it might. Watch it be one of the houses right around the towers at 320 Dixon...

Gawker has an article on it, and it is apparently a residential block north of the apartments...

Thanks to umopapisdnwei on reddit, my jaw is agape. Someone posted this back in March:
Here's the thing: Rob Ford DOES use crack cocaine. A friend of mine, her mother is a serious drug addict. Rob Ford regularly goes over to her house to smoke crack. The problem is this: The daughter wants to expose Rob Ford's drug abuse, but her oldschool Italian grandmother won't allow her to "bring shame" upon the family, long story short. So basically the daughter has become complicit with the entire thing instead of doing the right thing. Shame on you Jasmin.
http://www.torontomike.com/2013/03/the_problem_with_rob_ford_and.html#comment-234172

15 Windsor Rd (the house we now know is the one in the photo) is listed to "E Basso" in the phonebook. I (umopapisdnwei) found an obituary that says "E___ Basso" passed away on November 6, 2009. The obituary lists Jasmine as his granddaughter. "Jasmin" is the name mentioned in the link above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back