173     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 981     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Mounties Have the Rob Ford Crack Video?

Just when it seemed that we would never get to see a video showing Toronto mayor Rob Ford (allegedly!) smoking crack, there's a renewed hope it may yet surface because Canadian authorities could be in possession of a whispered back-up copy.

This morning there are "questions" about whether or not the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are in possession of the Rob Ford crack video after they obtained search warrants for a murder suspect's cell phone last week. "Six media organizations, including the CBC, are now asking the courts for a look inside sealed police documents to find out whether the RCMP seized a cellphone or computer that may contain video evidence connected to the Ford affair," CBC News reports. Previously, the Globe and Mail reported Hanad Mohamed, a 23-year-old Toronto native, was arrested in Alberta in connection with Anthony Smith's murder. Smith, 21, was killed in a drive-by shooting in Toronto in March.

These reports are the first that the video may still exist somewhere after Gawker's John Cook announced on Tuesday evening that the sellers of the crack video told his intermediary that it was "gone." They didn't say where it went, exactly, but the message was clear: the transaction Gawker had crowdfunded for $200,000 was not going to happen. Cook said the dealers faced immense pressure from Toronto's Somali community after it came out their ethnicity was revealed in the press.

The Globe and the Toronto Star reported former Ford chief of staff Mark Towhey was interviewed by Toronto homicide detectives in the wake of the crack video surfacing. He allegedly told them the exact address where the video was located in Toronto, and that, maybe, the original owner may have been killed for the tape. The implication was that Smith was the tape's original owner. "Sources familiar with the investigation said detectives have obtained search warrants for Mr. Mohamed’s cellphone and homes and are looking for at least one other suspect," the Globe reported. Smith was seen with his arm around Ford in the pictures distributed to the Star and Gawker by the alleged drug dealers who were, until Tuesday, offering to sell the video for $200,000. Mohamed has been transfered to Toronto police custody and already made his first court appearance.

Previous reports have suggested there was another copy of the tape stored somewhere outside of Toronto for safe keeping. What the CBC and the other organizations trying to get a peak into Mohamed's court documents are trying to find is whether or not his cell phone holds that back-up copy.
This thing may come out yet.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2013/06/do-mounties-have-rob-ford-crack-video/65923/

Just wondering, if the video file was deleted some time ago, are there any advanced data recovery options to reclaim it? Maybe I've watched too much CSI or something, but are there not very technical ways of recovering data even after it is gone?

Yes, deleted does not necessarily meant the data is overwritten - oftentimes it just indicates that the memory taken up are "labelled" as writable again.

AoD

You're comparing a non wife-beating non-crackhead to a wife-beating crackhead. Where does bias come into the mix? Unless you think the wife-beating crackhead is neither a wife-beater nor a crackhead. In which case you inhabit an alternate reality.

Right, anyone who isn't you is in an "alternate reality". Where if you say something it must be true.

Meanwhile in this dimension, you'd need a bit more than your good word to prove he's a wife-beater.

You're a parody of that which you seem to dislike. It's comedic.

Quick update: that dude said he had screenshots from the video scheduled to be up today, 2:30pm. No such thing happened. Now he just stopped posting and removed the post where he announced that.

So, yeah, "full of shit" it is.

Quick update: that dude said he had screenshots from the video scheduled to be up today, 2:30pm. No such thing happened. Now he just stopped posting and removed the post where he announced that.

So, yeah, "full of shit" it is.

So much for the auto post... I wonder what he's saying on twitter right now.

He's our only hope at this point, it seems...

Pardon my intrusion ...

Been lurking for a while watching this; frankly because our Mayor is pretty boring relatively speaking ... This is kind of like a slow motion train wreck.. You try to look away but you just can't ...

I so want this video to come out and be real.. But whenever something like this happens, I fire up my internal devil's advocate... Here are some thoughts I've been having...

1) Rob probably has a lawyer who immediately told him "Shut up. Don't say _anything_." Even if asked a direct question like "Have you ever smoked crack cocaine?"; and lets say he could honestly answer "No", he still shouldn't because then failure to answer further direct questions would reinforce guilt... So his lawyer likely put him under strict instructions to answer no questions on this matter, whatsoever, even if the answer seems simple and safe... So I'm tempted not to read too much into what he isn't saying ... I know I'd be near death in frustration at not being able to say anything...

2) What would a guy who just smoked crack act like? My experience (albeit very limited) watching someone smoke crack is that they're not likely to carry on any sort of conversation ... Then I read this interview:
http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/we-spoke-to-a-former-crack-addict-about-rob-ford

3) So that has me wondering, what if Rob was hanging out with these guys, for whatever reason, and didn't actually smoke any crack and either pretended or was joking around. It still doesn't look good but then some idiot had a camera and made a video... Now it's all exploded in his face, isn't really what it seems, and his lawyer has told him to 'shut up'... At about this point, he'd be a pretty frustrated guy... Why is he hanging out with Somali drug dealers? I dunno. Maybe one of his football player kids is in trouble and Rob is doing an intervention?

I dunno. Pretty far out there ... Go easy on me... I'm just a distant observer.

Only hope for what? The guy also claims to have evidence about numerous other political scandals. He's clearly mentally ill, and doesn't possess anything. I don't see any point even discussing him.

It seems like he's our only hope for actually getting the video out in the open. I just don't imagine someone posting images of the iphone containing the video and promising to post screenshots would actually benefit anyone, but maybe I'm wrong in that. I guess we'll never know, even if he doesn't have them, at this point I doubt he would admit it.

It seems like he's our only hope for actually getting the video out in the open.
I'm confused on how he would get it out in the open.

I just don't imagine someone posting images of the iphone containing the video and promising to post screenshots would actually benefit anyone, but maybe I'm wrong in that. I guess we'll never know...
I take it you haven't got much experience dealing with those suffering from a real delusional mental illness. Benefit doesn't have much to do with it.

1) Rob probably has a lawyer who immediately told him "Shut up. Don't say _anything_." Even if asked a direct question like "Have you ever smoked crack cocaine?"; and lets say he could honestly answer "No", he still shouldn't because then failure to answer further direct questions would reinforce guilt... So his lawyer likely put him under strict instructions to answer no questions on this matter, whatsoever, even if the answer seems simple and safe... So I'm tempted not to read too much into what he isn't saying ... I know I'd be near death in frustration at not being able to say anything...
Of course he has a lawyer. The lawyer even has a fancy hotmail address. :)

2) What would a guy who just smoked crack act like? My experience (albeit very limited) watching someone smoke crack is that they're not likely to carry on any sort of conversation ... Then I read this interview:
http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/we-spoke-to-a-former-crack-addict-about-rob-ford

Just yesterday a group of kids clearly high on crack were playing with my dog along the sidewalk in front of Cawthra Park. I see crack kids around all the time, they act very much like this fellow describes. A very interesting piece on what crack does to a person and how it casts some doubt on Ford smoking it, unless he really is (was) a casual user.

Ford's new staff are really putting him out in front. He's been out in the community at fundraisers and events, talking city matters, openly discussing and supporting "causes close to his heart"... quite a turnaround from just one week ago.

Think about it, it's a compromised structure.... (I couldn't resist that one!)

"Causes close to his heart"?

I guess he was not at Eglinton Avenue West and Black Creek Drive for the launch of the two tunnel boring machines excavating underneath Eglinton Avenue. See this link. The Crosstown LRT would not be close to his heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back