484     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 590     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, how many people actually thought Ford would have been this bad? I knew Ford would not have been a great Mayor but did people really know from Day 1 he would wind up where he is right now?

Read from the beginning of this thread. This was all entirely predictable. Ford's proven trait of not working with others would inevitably lead to his isolation and here we are.

Rob Ford's only hope was that his people would keep him from being Rob Ford. We gotta give him credit for not blowing up like he used to in Council but he's still a pigheaded clusterf*ck and it will be his demise.

The Star has this quote tonight:

"Most parents on hand were supportive of the mayor. “He's the best coach around. I think everybody should be able to do what they want,” said Joe Ferraro, whose kids have played for the Eagles for three years."

So best, coach and worst mayor - I think he should probable play to his strengths and do coaching full-time. He clearly wants to be a coach and does not really want to be a full-time Mayor so he could also do what he wants.

That's what I keep thinking. If the mayor could apply the same magnitude of passion he apparently feels for coaching to his day job, it would be harder to criticize the man. Not terribly harder, mind you; he has a penchant for flubbing things all by himself.

I suppose I am feeling a little sympathy for the devil right now. Imagine getting your dream job, going into it full of confidence that you are more than qualified for it, and having the rug swept from under you as your critics successfully point out how inept you are at your position. That would be hard on even the most modest of us emotionally, imagine what that could do to someone who has an ego as inflated as Ford's...

Or...deep down, *was* it such a "dream job" for him? I'm almost feeling as if he was "egged on" into politics by other family members, etc, perhaps as a way of making up for a lack of other clear career prospects...

Yeah, it wasn't a dream job. He's terrible at it precisely because he doesn't really want to do it. I mean, he literally isn't a mayor because he's failed to be mayoral. It's like he doesn't get his own job description.

He'll undo himself. Casting aspersions and being conspiratorial about 'what Ford is really up to' is pointless now.

Nothing to apologize for, this is a discussion board! Earlier today I went back and quickly re-read the first 15-20 pages before Ford won and it was overwhelmingly negative even then, and there are many comments that came to be.

I didn't think he'd be this bad. I thought he'd be widely controversial yet minimally competent. I didn't expect him to actually be utterly incapable of the position. By way of example, I'm not crazy about Harper, I don't agree with many of his positions etc., but he's highly competent. That means I attack his policies, not him. Ford, on the other hand, doesn't even really warrant an ideological/political attack anymore. He's just personally unfit, not matter what his policies.

Was his Dad this incompetent though?

I thought Larry O'Brien in Ottawa was a rather remarkable failure as a mayor; however, he didn't have the benefit of a decade in municipal politics behind him and was smart enough to realize he was incompetent and eventually let council take greater leadership. Rob Ford stands on his own pedestal of incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back