545     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELL. Has. Frozen. Over:

Sue-Ann Levy

The Editor at The Sun must have finally realized that Ford is going down and that they don't want to go down with him. This is at least the fourth Sun article this week that is critical of Ford.

Sue-Ann Levy tried to tip toe it -- she's his biggest cheerleader -- but there is no doubt, this article is her and The Sun trying to quietly distance themselves from Ford and his impossible to defend behavior.

That's indeed incredible. Levy and the Sun at last strapping on the lifejackets as the good ship Ford slows and takes on more and more water.

Who is that man or woman who can really be a 'great leader' for Toronto? Who could lead Toronto to the next level? What can they do better than Ford and Miller?

Last edited:
You know, I think I am starting to actually feel sorry for Ford. I'm not just saying that either (pretty sure I have here before), but legitimately feeling bad for the guy.

Yes, he went about it in the wrongest way possible, but I do believe there is a part of him which is trying to be charitable to these kids by trying to share his love of sports. And because of some of his faux pas, he is being fed to the dogs by his critics, the legal system, the news media, and now even the Sun.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him, much of this has been of his own making. And much of it could have been avoided by simply apologizing that his actions were inappropriate or could be perceived as such, and that he would do his best to correct his behaviour. One thing I always respected about McGuinty in his early days was that he was able to admit he made a mistake and take responsibility for it, Ford could learn from that.

I suppose I am feeling a little sympathy for the devil right now. Imagine getting your dream job, going into it full of confidence that you are more than qualified for it, and having the rug swept from under you as your critics successfully point out how inept you are at your position. That would be hard on even the most modest of us emotionally, imagine what that could do to someone who has an ego as inflated as Ford's...

At this point, I think he should consider a leave of absence from his job for a few months and put Holyday in charge. He should take a stress free vacation in order to get things back into perspective, if not seek out some counselling. No question much of this has been brought upon himself, but even the best of us screw up.

That's indeed incredible. Levy and the Sun at last strapping on the lifejackets as the good ship Ford slows and takes on more and more water.

I don't know if Sue-Ann Levy is strapping on a life jacket just yet. The article seemed to be a last ditch attempt to evade the truth by slinging mud at everybody else in hopes that we would be reminded about just how dastardly people like Miller were before Ford came along. The section reprimanding Ford was barely a sentence long.

I wish that Ford was circling the drain, but people have been saying that he's been circling the drain for a long, long time. The guy is teflon. He could commit genocide and there would still be a significant portion of the city's electorate that would rabidly vote for him.

Electrify:

And because of some of his faux pas, he is being fed to the dogs by his critics, the legal system, the news media, and now even the Sun.

We are supposed to have sympathy for someone who had absolutely no hesitation or compulsion about feeding others to the dogs even when there is absolutely no rationale for doing so - and yet we have to take every latitude for his own personal incompetence and malfeasance?

I suppose I am feeling a little sympathy for the devil right now. Imagine getting your dream job, going into it full of confidence that you are more than qualified for it, and having the rug swept from under you as your critics successfully point out how inept you are at your position. That would be hard on even the most modest of us emotionally, imagine what that could do to someone who has an ego as inflated as Ford's...

Geez, I am feeling more sympathetic to the citizens of Toronto who were either expecting more than a hypocritical failure, or lived in the fear of him being one, serving as their representative or making policies on their behalf.

At this point, I think he should consider a leave of absence from his job for a few months and put Holyday in charge. He should take a stress free vacation in order to get things back into perspective, if not seek out some counselling. No question much of this has been brought upon himself, but even the best of us screw up.

No offense, being a mayor is a full time job, not one that you can walk in and out of as one pleases. Can't handle the heat? Don't be one. He made mistakes, he fix it - leaving it for others to clean up is juvenile - and that's exactly everything that is wrong with him. Take some responsibility for once instead of telling others to do so. As to "stress free vacation", I thought he did that back in July? Or was it just an excuse?

AoD

Last edited:
I don't know if Sue-Ann Levy is strapping on a life jacket just yet. The article seemed to be a last ditch attempt to evade the truth by slinging mud at everybody else in hopes that we would be reminded about just how dastardly people like Miller were before Ford came along. The section reprimanding Ford was barely a sentence long.

I wish that Ford was circling the drain, but people have been saying that he's been circling the drain for a long, long time. The guy is teflon. He could commit genocide and there would still be a significant portion of the city's electorate that would rabidly vote for him.

Well Hipster, I don't entirely disagree with you. And Levy, for her part, is sounding schitzo at best. Yes, she's still doing her usual doctrinaire schtick, wildly hoping no one will notice the mayor's continual fumbles - but still, it's wild that she's openly chastising her idol.

And while I fully expect the good ship Ford will founder on the rocks of the man's own stubborn delusions, the man himself will persist in his own beliefs and he will continue to boil and fester on the ragged hide of Toronto politics. He'll try to commission a new ship - or raise the existing one - and take another run at office. I would expect nothing less of him.

To be fair, how many people actually thought Ford would have been this bad? I knew Ford would not have been a great Mayor but did people really know from Day 1 he would wind up where he is right now?

Last edited:
Yeah. Whenever I feel an irrational wave of sympathy coming on, I remind myself that Ford set the level of the bar and what we're seeing are responses to his own standards and expectations. I have no sympathy for, "do as i say, don't do as I do."

Yeah. Whenever I feel an irrational wave of sympathy coming on, I remind myself that Ford set the level of the bar and what we're seeing are responses to his own standards and expectations. I have no sympathy for, "do as i say, don't do as I do."

It's one thing to make mistakes, but the problem with Ford is that he does not admit them nor does he apologize

Clearly, that bubble has been utterly popped.

It's one thing to make mistakes, but the problem with Ford is that he does not admit them nor does he apologize

Actually, the problem with Ford is that he kept on making them.

AoD

Last edited:
To be fair, how many people actually thought Ford would have been this bad? I knew Ford would not have been a great Mayor but did people really know from Day 1 he would wind up where he is right now?

Who didn't predict it? Anyone I met in the old city of Toronto agreed his mayoralty would be a disaster and even argued he may not even finish his term.

Those who didn't are for the most part the ones who still see nothing wrong with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back