1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 623     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 905     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Hume really dropped the gloves this morning, an ad hominem attack on the Fords that is beautiful to behold.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1100497--rob-ford-s-a-wreck-doug-ford-s-a-spectacle

Doug is equal parts Harold Ballard and Homer Simpson, with a little Beverly Hillbillies thrown in for added appeal. Beneath that worldly exterior and ample girth lurks a true innocent, a naïf, a guileless fool. He’s one of those rare individuals who lack any awareness of their own lack of awareness.

And he's just getting warmed up at that point!

That column was, at points, reaching Hunter S. Thompson levels of journalistic vitriol. I'm surprised at Hume.

That said, while I enjoyed reading it, I am not sure if the Star's public war with the Fords is productive or smart. I'm not sure it's a winning strategy, lest it veer into full blown yellow journalism.

^I, too, got shades of the Nixon obit from Hume's column. I forget if it was that or another where HST quotes from someone else's obituary: "Like a rotting mackerel by moonlight, he shines and stinks".

I'm so past holding anyone to any standard in their treatment of the Fords. Others may deserve fair treatment, or even benefit of doubt, but the Fords are so far past that. Yes, that's probably not the correct attitude to have for a forward-looking person with a vested interest in the continued prosperity and civility of this City, but why do such considerations not also apply to the Fords and the peiople who elected them? Why must the rest of us turn the other cheek?

I guess Hume is upset that Olay dropped him as an anti-aging skin care model and is attacking the Fords as a form of catharsis?

Actually....he's simply stating the obvious. Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee are the laughing stocks of the city.

While I do think Ford acts like an oaf, it really does sound like Hume should retire already.

Why? The piece has a point, and it is excellent writing. (Though I bet he had a bottle of wine help him write the first draft on Saturday night :). Sure, it's not fair or balanced, but we can get fair and balanced from Marcus Gee (yawn).

its excellent prose - its terrible writing in a newspaper with any kind of journalistic integrity

To call anything terrible writing in such a terribly written post is a bit rich.

True, Hume can be repetivie in his jeremiads, but the point of wailing and gnashing your teeth is to gnash until what you're wailing at goes away. I am sure he is sincerely distraught at the idea of three more years of Frod nonsense. I know I am. The piece referred to is one of his better plaints.

bobbob911:

Why be so upset about the "lack of journalistic integrity" when the subject in question is the epitome of behaving with integrity in general? Where's the outrage on THAT score, I wonder.

And yes, on that matter, we'll discuss the Sun and the Post.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back