1K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 537     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good point. There's been a Ford scandal every couple of months or so. With all this heat on Ford, what will he do next while people are watching? My fear has been that if Ford doesn't respond to these questions, the press will get tired of asking and slowly things would return to normal. But who am I kidding? Ford is giving us new ammunition every day. As long as staff is resigning, as long as the media discover new things to report, this story can go on indefinitely. TheStar has already requested george Christopoulos, Isaac Ransom and Brian Johnston's e-mail records under the Freedom of Information Act. There will definitely be some juicy stuff in there. If The Star can vindicate itself, it's going to come out the best investigative reporting paper in Canada. They're going to rack up rewards on this.

Unless the new scandals are bad enough to warrant charges of the Ford's there's no point. The Star is preaching to the converted at this point. Anyone still believing in Ford will need to see either that crack video, or better yet, Ford led out in cuffs.

I'm truly amazed at Ford nation, I experienced it last night and it's dumbfounding.

Latest I heard was - It's the Star's fault that the staffers after Towhey left. The Star intimidated and scared them into leaving for their own good.

Unless there's charges or a 'smoking gun' nothing will change their minds and see any attempts to do anything about him as another attack on Ford.

What would be perfect is to have the Sun actually dig up a scandal on Ford, but that's a remote possibility.

I thought it was that the HST can't be different in different regions of the province, so it'd need to be increased province-wide?

So? Have the whole province pay an extra 1% and funnel that revenue directly to fund Toronto public transit. I don't have a problem with that...it's not like ten times that amount isn't ours anyway.

Oh wait....you think the rest of Ontario might have a problem with that?

I don't know why one needs to "convert" the current remainder of Ford Nation. I have a more or less have an ahem, Mitt Romney take on the group at this point - it's a lost cause, one would be better off focusing the energy on building a centrist alliance with broad appeal instead.

AoD

So? Have the whole province pay an extra 1% and funnel that revenue directly to fund Toronto public transit. I don't have a problem with that...it's not like ten times that amount isn't ours anyway.

Oh wait....you think the rest of Ontario might have a problem with that?

It was pretty clear that the province plans to increase it province-wide, and allocate it according to where the funding came from. IE, if the GTHA raises 90% of the revenue they are allocated 90% of the funds. Compared to the surrounding region the downtown (for the DRL) would actually get comparatively little funding. The problem is that in the discussion, Metrolinx didn't say "listen, we're proposing the regional sales tax to fund transit expansion across the province, and in the GTHA it will go towards the big move)

I don't know why one needs to "convert" the current remainder of Ford Nation. I more or less have an ahem, Mitt Romney take on the group at this point - it's a lost cause, one would be better off focusing the energy on building a centrist alliance with broad appeal instead.

AoD

100% agree. Hopefully Tory or someone similar is starting to seriously consider this in preparation for '14.

At this point I'd like to see the Star vindicated though (ironic eh? considering I'm not necessarily a fan of the Star) - and have a few friends' eyes opened too........

Unless the new scandals are bad enough to warrant charges of the Ford's there's no point. The Star is preaching to the converted at this point. Anyone still believing in Ford will need to see either that crack video, or better yet, Ford led out in cuffs.

I'm truly amazed at Ford nation, I experienced it last night and it's dumbfounding.

Latest I heard was - It's the Star's fault that the staffers after Towhey left. The Star intimidated and scared them into leaving for their own good.

Unless there's charges or a 'smoking gun' nothing will change their minds and see any attempts to do anything about him as another attack on Ford.

What would be perfect is to have the Sun actually dig up a scandal on Ford, but that's a remote possibility.

The point is that with any new scandal, there's news to report instead of "we asked Ford a question and he refused to respond". Keeping him in the news -- as much as I'm tired of it -- is important because it keeps the pressure on for him to resign. Eventually people will be sick of Ford and will increasingly demand that he just get lost.

You cannot blame Wynn. She has no intentions of getting mired in the shit pile of the Fords, but she has to take some position, even if it is toothless, for now. To contradict the Fords, she is dealing with provincial matters. Toronto is the capital of Ontario and is also the responsibility of the province, especially if the mayoralty of Toronto is becoming dysfunctional.

Wynn has to appease the voters just like the Fords, well not really like the Fords, what a democracy is truly alludes them.

As far as I know, the HST can be made regional, however, the problem is people bleeding out to buy things in regions without the increase. I like the blanket increase and reimbursement theme, and a public/private trust for infrastructure sounds good.

Personally I would like to see Metrolinx take over all the transit in Ontario, and have the present boards administer the different regions; TTC, YRT/VIVA, etc.

To return to the topic, I would like to see the "Ford Nation" succeed from Canada and leave us the f•ck alone.

Wynn has to appease the voters

I'm sure she was just appeasing the media, which weren't satisfied with just occupying City Hall....they were starting to hound Queen's Park as well. Although she couldn't ignore the media on the subject, to me she clearly looked annoyed that she had been dragged into it by the media.

Personally I would like to see Metrolinx take over all the transit in Ontario

There is no advantage in that for the TTC.

As far as I know, the HST can be made regional

It's not necessary anyway. Toronto fought hard and won the right to more power to generate it's own revenue. We were smart and started to use this power. Then we were really stupid and backtracked.

We need funding from upper levels, but we also need to utilize our own revenue tools to our advantage before looking elsewhere.

This is much more than simple corruption. Otherwise it wouldn't garner the attention it has received...
Another factor is when caught, most politicians, even the corrupt ones, have the intelligence to resign. Both the mayor of Laval and Montreal did this ... and that stopped a lot of the coverage.

Metrolinx can't propose a province wide tax as they only have jurisdiction over the GTA.

The province could easily circumvent flahertys demands by introducing a separate tax on top of the HST, like the PST used to be. Maybe call it the TST. (Transit sales tax)

mauditanglais ‏@larouxb 3m
ALL Toronto Star journalists in lockdown having to do with #RobFord. May have video or email print outs. #cdnpoli #topoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back