4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The countdown is on... $9,000 to go with 14hrs to go. It's getting within the reach of a single contributor who would benefit from Ford being out of office but it should reach the goal through the contributions of many. This doesn't guarantee us the video but it puts money in Gawker's pocket that they can use to lure the seller (or sellers it looks like at this point).

EDIT: Sprinting to the finish line now. People are donating large amounts again. $200's, $75's and $50's are common. $8,500 to go!

EDIT: Gawker posted a the story related to the murder connection and made no mention of their effort to buy it or that they're close to raising $200K which would warrant at least a mention. They're probably not interested in getting the money because this murder investigation is making this sale too hot to handle.

Last edited:
They're probably not interested in getting the money because this murder investigation is making this sale too hot to handle.

How convenient for the Fords.

edit -- another $200 contribution has pushed the Crackstarter total to over $192,000. It's rapidly rising to the goal right now.

Last edited:
The countdown is on... $9,000 to go with 14hrs to go. It's getting within the reach of a single contributor who would benefit from Ford being out of office but it should reach the goal through the contributions of many. This doesn't guarantee us the video but it puts money in Gawker's pocket that they can use to lure the seller (or sellers it looks like at this point).

EDIT: Sprinting to the finish line now. People are donating large amounts again. $200's, $75's and $50's are common. $8,500 to go!

EDIT: Gawker posted a the story related to the murder connection and made no mention of their effort to buy it or that they're close to raising $200K which would warrant at least a mention. They're probably not interested in getting the money because this murder investigation is making this sale too hot to handle.

I think they're just covering their backs. I'm sure they'd have no problem giving the money to a worthwhile cause.

I get the impression that they don't really care about obtaining the video anymore if that's the case. If it was't before, "Gawker" is now a household name in Toronto and John Cook got lots of press coverage. At this point, they can just donate the money to charity and not have to follow through on any of their original perks (excluding the 'thank you' shout out on Twitter).

The sad thing is campaign needed 10 days to (potentially) reach it's goal but too much was happening behind the scenes during that time.

Calculating the average pace, it'll hit $200,000 at around 7pm but because I expect a big push with $2K to go, this will be done before people leave their offices. It's going to make the 6 o'clock news.

I get the impression that they don't really care about obtaining the video anymore if that's the case. If it was't before, "Gawker" is now a household name in Toronto and John Cook got lots of press coverage. At this point, they can just donate the money to charity and not have to follow through on any of their original perks (excluding the 'thank you' shout out on Twitter).

The sad thing is campaign needed 10 days to (potentially) reach it's goal but too much was happening behind the scenes during that time.

I'm sure they would love to get the video. The revenue from page hits and advertising that it could generate is massive. Millions of people would watch it. If it is as advertised, it would be the most viewed video in the world for at least a day or two.

It's all hands on deck at The Star. This has got to be the biggest story in The Toronto Star's history so they're going to keep pushing. When they were unable to obtain the video for free, they worked to follow back the footsteps and investigate the people involved and how they're connected to Rob Ford. They were waiting to complete the investigation and report the whole story but Gawker forced their hand. I was told that there will be a more complete story this week, maybe not the definitive story but a lot more details are ready to come out.

Any theories on if/how the discovery of human remains five minutes from Casa Ford might tie in with the current investigations?

WOW.

George Christopoulos, Press Secretary and Deputy Press Secretary Isaac Ramson have resigned their posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back