1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
usually, i would cringe at reaction gifs on UT. However, I can't help but enjoy them at the moment.

I find they have their place. On every page? No. But if inserted tactically for a good laugh every once an a while, yes. (Sort of like how it currently works, every month or so I will see one pop up in a thread)

Still have some massive doubts about the validity of the video and its implications, due to Ford's ability to wriggle his way out of it. Because the Star has also broken the video, Ford can use the victim card as an excuse.

If the Globe or the National Post did it first, he wouldn't be able to do so. If they can't back the Star's claim, the Star will lose quite a bit of credibility in this whole thing.

Journalist have higher ethical standards than bloggers. You can bet the Globe/Post/Sun city desks are all working on this story, but they probably wouldn't repost a blog story without another source

Journalist have higher ethical standards than bloggers. You can bet the Globe/Post/Sun city desks are all working on this story, but they probably wouldn't repost a blog story without another source

Indeed. As we speak, people at the Sun and Globe must be scrambling to get independent sources on this.

Assuming this is true, I can't help but think how it shines a light on Mr. Ford's political Mr. Hyde to his Dr. Jekyll. Here's a guy who flies under the "take care of yourself, don't ask the rest of us for more" banner, who's lead a life of such extreme privilege and acts as though those who don't will have to figure it out. He's smoking crack with gangster types, while spewing off about how they should be all locked up, and we shouldn't support "hug-a-thug" programs and whatnot. And he really seemed to believe it, too. I think he really is delusional.
The whole right wing in this city could be scarred by this hypocrisy for a long time to come.

Indeed. As we speak, people at the Sun and Globe must be scrambling to get independent sources on this.

The Globe has had the story up for a while on their site:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...eo-of-rob-ford-smoking-crack/article11986901/

"The Province" which is part of Post media has it also:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Tor...moking+crack+cocaine+video/8398034/story.html

Canada.com also part of Post Media had it the story up but it seems to have been scrubbed.

Imagine the mood in the Ford household tonight! This must be like their worst nightmare!

Last edited:

Star story is up.

A cellphone video that appears to show Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine is being shopped around Toronto by a group of Somali men involved in the drug trade.

Two Toronto Star reporters have viewed the video three times. It appears to show Ford in a room, sitting in a chair, wearing a white shirt, top buttons open, inhaling from what appears to be a glass crack pipe. Ford is incoherent, trading jibes with an off-camera speaker who goads the clearly impaired Mayor by raising topics including Liberal l-leader Justin Trudeau and the Don Bosco high school football team Ford coaches.

“I’m f-----g right wing,†Ford mutters at one point. “Everyone expects me to be right-wing, I’m…†and his voice trails off.

At another point he is heard calling Trudeau a “fag.†Later in the 90 second video he is asked about the football team and he appears to say (though he is mumbling, “they are just f-----g minorities.â€

The Star had no way to verify the video, which appears to clearly show Ford in a well lit room. What follows is an account based on what both reporters viewed on the video screen. Attempts to reach the Mayor, members of his staff to get comment on this story were unsuccessful....

Looks like the Star got scooped by Gawker, probably while it was trying to get confirmation:

The Star reporters (Donovan and Doolittle) were shown the video on the evening of Friday May 3 in the back of a car parked in an apartment complex at Dixon Rd. near Kipling Avenue in the north end of Etobicoke. We were allowed to watch and listen to the video three times. After, both reporters separately made written notes of what they saw and heard. Both reporters, prior to watching the video, studied numerous City Hall related videos of Ford and to the best of the reporter’s abilities they separately concluded the man in the video was Mayor Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back