1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The water jets in NPS have already been turned on for the summer and just yesterday, I saw children playing in them. Ford must know they are there.

I've been a long spell computer-free, if anyone's wondered about my absence.

Anyway, in the interim, this metaphor dawned upon me: Ford's like an arrogant teen jock who refuses to blow money on condoms because they're "gravy"--and then: "Dad, I got a girl into trouble. May I have money for her abortion?"

And then when that's a no-go and the brat comes to term, he refuses to offer any but the most rudimentary drooly-young-brat upbringing, because that's "gravy". And the cycle kinda repeats itself, if not worse: teen thug jr. impregnates girl, refuses to take responsibility, etc...

Good to see you back adma, be good! :)

Next year at this time we should get a grassroots campaign going to help keep Ford from getting re-elected, perhaps through here and on anti-Rob Ford Facebook pages. We need to factually list what he ran on and factually list his failures on the issues. Further, briefly list his flubs, other failures, city-destroying policies, embarrassments and design a flier to hand out. Those who are passionate start dropping a couple of toonies into a dedicated jar each week so that this time next year we can each get the fliers printed with no hit to our wallets and then take to the streets handing them out and talking to people. Until then we can keep debating his nonsense but we must be passionate, get off out collective butts and affect change next election to save our city.

Next year at this time we should get a grassroots campaign going to help keep Ford from getting re-elected, perhaps through here and on anti-Rob Ford Facebook pages. We need to factually list what he ran on and factually list his failures on the issues. Further, briefly list his flubs, other failures, city-destroying policies, embarrassments and design a flier to hand out. Those who are passionate start dropping a couple of toonies into a dedicated jar each week so that this time next year we can each get the fliers printed with no hit to our wallets and then take to the streets handing them out and talking to people. Until then we can keep debating his nonsense but we must be passionate, get off out collective butts and affect change next election to save our city.

Yes, this- it's so easy to sit back and criticize Ford and say that you want someone else in the mayor's chair. It takes more effort to actually contribute to the cause, and every bit of effort helps.

Yes, this- it's so easy to sit back and criticize Ford and say that you want someone else in the mayor's chair. It takes more effort to actually contribute to the cause, and every bit of effort helps.
Though I may be too cynical I actually wonder how many UP posters actually cast votes in the last Council and Mayoral election. The UT age demographic (as I understand it) is not a group who normally vote in large numbers.

I don't think grassroots campaigns against options and politicians have ever worked too well. Getting involved in promoting alternatives other than Ford would probably be more effective so long as vote-splitting is kept to a minimum.

I'm all for whatever could help get rid of this goof. What concerns me about promoting "alternatives" is it does just that, splits the vote. Can we as members agree to support a candidate several months before the election and volunteer a few hours to support their campaign in some shape or form? That's going to be difficult plus the Mods. may not support that.

Though I may be too cynical I actually wonder how many UP posters actually cast votes in the last Council and Mayoral election. The UT age demographic (as I understand it) is not a group who normally vote in large numbers.

47 year olds don't vote??? Who'd a thunk?

FWIW, I voted Smitherman last time and wasted my council vote on a very nice woman who used to work in one of the councilman's office and convinced me to vote her the old-fashioned way, door-to-door knocking.

Assuming we're back in Toronto for the next election, my vote will go to the most plausible anti-Ford candidate, be they Fascist or Communist.

This is a good strategy, but what I really want is educated, articulate people to pack the mayoral debates and ask Ford hard questions about his numbers and his plans. Not settling for "I'm going to save the city billions" but holding up copies of the city budget and asking where those billions are coming from. If he tries to pass off a question, have the next person ask him the same thing. Same with his transit plan. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why no one in the press or on Council has ever asked him to name three companies he's talked to about his P3 magic beans for the Marshmallow Subway To Nowhere.

Either he'll have to come clean about making this stuff up as he goes along, or he'll get incredibly flustered and make the news anyway. The debates, unlike his press scrums, are not things he can just run away from.

This is a good strategy, but what I really want is educated, articulate people to pack the mayoral debates and ask Ford hard questions about his numbers and his plans. Not settling for "I'm going to save the city billions" but holding up copies of the city budget and asking where those billions are coming from. If he tries to pass off a question, have the next person ask him the same thing. Same with his transit plan. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why no one in the press or on Council has ever asked him to name three companies he's talked to about his P3 magic beans for the Marshmallow Subway To Nowhere.

Either he'll have to come clean about making this stuff up as he goes along, or he'll get incredibly flustered and make the news anyway. The debates, unlike his press scrums, are not things he can just run away from.

Someone ought to get Graphicmatt as debate moderator.

I think a moderator should question all sides on their numbers. In previous debates, numbers were thrown everywhere from Smitherman and Ford along with some fast and loose promises.

I'd love to see some kind of technical scoring in debates where every time you fail to address the question as asked you lose a point. Politicians, regardless of political stripe give meaningless, garbage answers all too often to avoid answering the tough questions. All candidates in the last election were guilty of this, but Ford was by far the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back