328     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 640     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having belatedly browsed through Towhey's book, what intrigued me from the getgo was his unflattering opening description of Ford's house on Edenbridge, which seemed to (misleadingly) pick on its being supposedly the last tired old 50s/60s thing on the street as everything else went a-rebuilding. Now, I can understand if the *inside* is a disaster area; but the outside's actually fairly midcentury benign--all it tells me is that Towhey's libertarian values are distinctly McMansion-progress-or-bust...

That would be worth comparing to Towhey's own place, wherever that is.

John Tory, the great peacemaker, should throw his hat into the CPC leadership race. He's an anti-taxing, socially progressive deal maker that talks good, loves the press, and has powerful friends across the political spectrum. He could capture the "tone" the party's looking for while advancing its core values even as Leader of the Opposition where he would appear "reasonable" compared to Rona and Steve. And his name's perfect. And Doug Ford would go apoplectic.

John Tory, the great peacemaker, should throw his hat into the CPC leadership race. He's an anti-taxing, socially progressive deal maker that talks good, loves the press, and has powerful friends across the political spectrum. He could capture the "tone" the party's looking for while advancing its core values even as Leader of the Opposition where he would appear "reasonable" compared to Rona and Steve. And his name's perfect. And Doug Ford would go apoplectic.

Having said that, his tenure as PC leader turned out real well...and a Toronto "elitist" would not sit well with the fundies out West.

AoD

I wonder if going for Ward 2 would be beneath him at this point if/when Rob isn't a councillor.

If Rob dies in the next year, Doug will attempt to step in. Mikey Ford hasn't got enough experience, and Doug can't control Mikey's left leaning tendencies, which wouldn't look good for the Ford Nation Brand.

I wonder if going for Ward 2 would be beneath him at this point if/when Rob isn't a councillor.
He'd never do that again. I just finished Towhey's book. Doug hated being a councillor so he'd act like he was co-mayor. The guy'd even host people in the mayor's boardroom all the time without telling Rob and his staff what he was up to. When Rob would meet with VIPs like the PM or Chicago's mayor, Doug would barge into their meetings, despite, say, Harper's staff insisting Doug wasn't invited lol. The guy was a total disaster. He actually makes Rob look competent and normal (when Rob's sober that is). Funny, when Towhey tried to prevent Doug from attending a meeting with Chicago's mayor he threatened to put Towhey in the hospital. Also, Doug would disappear to Deco's Chicago office for months at a time instead of doing his councillor work.

^^ Well, we all know how being leader of the provincial party went for him ...
So they handed off to Hudak and we know how that went for the CPO. Still waiting to see how Patrick Brown does, or how many voters even recognize his name. Tory's proven he can work with Wynne while Harper's refusal talk to the premiers, while reluctantly embracing the Fords at the last minute led the CP to blame the Fords, not Steve, for the result.

The "fundies out West" will either have to understand that you can't rule Canada without support from down east or go Wild Rose rougue. Even Prentice couldn't hold Alberta.

No doubt its going to be interesting.

If Rob dies in the next year, Doug will attempt to step in. Mikey Ford hasn't got enough experience, and Doug can't control Mikey's left leaning tendencies, which wouldn't look good for the Ford Nation Brand.
Even if Rob dies tomorrow, it's still going to be Mikey stepping in. Mikey made it through a year without screwing up and Doug will never go back to being a councillor.

Rob Ford throws temper tantrum over the Scarborough Subway Shift.

See link.

Rob Ford rips Tory over Scarborough subway shift

Councillor Rob Ford is ready to rumble over any changes to Scarborough transit.

Hours after Mayor John Tory rolled out a plan to shorten the Scarborough subway extension and add an LRT, Ford issued a statement slamming his successor.

The ex-mayor didn’t mention that on his first day in office back in 2010, he killed the Transit City plan that had been championed by former mayor David Miller.

“Transit City is over, ladies and gentlemen,” Ford proclaimed on Dec. 1, 2010.

Had Transit City — which the province had agreed to fund — gone ahead, it would have delivered two transit projects to Scarborough immediately: The Scarborough RT replacement and an LRT line along Sheppard Ave. E., along with future plans for a Malvern LRT.

Here is Ford’s full statement:

“I simply can’t believe that Mayor Tory can say this isn’t a political decision.

We have a resolution passed by council, which he campaigned saying he would leave as is.

Now we have a report, which even says council supports the Scarborough Subway, and makes no mention of the money Mr. Tory claims will be saved and reallocated, and makes no mention of whether this project will be above, at, or below grade. If it’s not off street level, it’s no better than a bus or streetcar, and it’s not rapid transit. This idea is just like SmartTrack, scribbled on the back of a napkin, and will just cause further delays in the building of the Scarborough subway.

I would love to know under what authority a report which is supposed to give a status update on a council approved project can suddenly gut the project and go against council’s direction.

The people of Scarborough are tired of second-class transit, they are tired of being treated like second-class citizens, they need a proper subway.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back