1.1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 694     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, a while back some guy died in the east end because of a long wait from EMS ...i think they were hesitant going into an area that they thought was a bit shady

Not exactly the east end of downtown, 40 Alexander Street is in the core - the 2nd street north of Carlton St. and about 200 feet east of Yonge Street.

It's east of Yonge ... in Ford's Toronto that's the styx.

I get the fact that the majority of folks on UT are not fans of Toronto's current mayor, I do. What I don't get are the shots at him over things that he has/had no control over. Whether or not 40 Alexander is core or east does not change the fact that he was not the mayor when the unfortunate EMS incident happened there.

I don't think anyone has taken shots at him for the 40 Alexander incident.

That incompetent person had nothing to do with 40 Alexander, so I don't know why you raising it.

Are you suggesting I was the one who associated Rob Ford with The 40 Alexander incident?

You took a shot at Ford in an earlier post
Not about 40 Alexander. About his later reduction in the budget for hiring paramedics ... which was years after 40 Alexander.

Given how utterly incompetent Rob Ford is, there's no point in making shots about him for things that he couldn't be responsible for - given it was 18 months before he became mayor and had any influence on budgets.

Are you suggesting I was the one who associated Rob Ford with The 40 Alexander incident?
As I didn't think anyone had associated Rob Ford with the 40 Alexander incident, then I couldn't be suggesting that it was you!

Last edited:
Not about 40 Alexander. About his later reduction in the budget for hiring paramedics ... which was years after 40 Alexander.

Given how utterly incompetent Rob Ford is, there's no point in making shots about him for things that he couldn't be responsible for - given it was 18 months before he became mayor and had any influence on budgets.

As I didn't think anyone had associated Rob Ford with the 40 Alexander incident, then I couldn't be suggesting that it was you!

Following the trail of discussion.....it appears to have been you, though.....but let's move on.

TOareaFan, I think you misread nfitz' post.

He's most likely pointing out that in Ford's Toronto (i.e. in Automation Gallery's head) 40 Alexander is in the East end (while for the rest of us that isn't the east end of anything). He's not attributing any blame to Ford himself for the incident.

That Mammo is a real piece of work. It just boggles the mind how someone like that can keep getting elected. He's so blatantly self serving.

That Mammo is a real piece of work. It just boggles the mind how someone like that can keep getting elected. He's so blatantly self serving.
And Rob "pave my companies driveway" and "sell me the piece of parkland next to my house" Ford isn't?

It's corruption, plain and simple.

TOareaFan, I think you misread nfitz' post.

He's most likely pointing out that in Ford's Toronto (i.e. in Automation Gallery's head) 40 Alexander is in the East end (while for the rest of us that isn't the east end of anything). He's not attributing any blame to Ford himself for the incident.

I am pretty sure I did not misread his post.....I do, however, not have the ability to read (or misread) his mind. He took a shot at Rob Ford ("It's east of Yonge ... in Ford's Toronto that's the styx.") and the shot was in the context of a discussion about an incident that happened at 40 Alexander.......whether that was an attempt to tie Ford to the incident or not is only knowledge known to nfitz (and since he says it was not...i/we should accept that and is why I said we should move on).

And Rob "pave my companies driveway" and "sell me the piece of parkland next to my house" Ford isn't?

It's corruption, plain and simple.

Um, did I say Ford was any better? Those 2 or should I say 3 (Doug) are like 3 peas in a pod. You know what they say about birds of a feather....

Went to the 2013 Canadian International AutoShow at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre today. I was looking for and comparing hybrid cars.

Saw Mayor Rob Ford, with a small entourage of maybe one, just after 12 noon. They were both in suit and tie. Who still goes to an auto show in a suit and tie in the 21st century, except for car salesmen? Anyways, I don't think that Rob was going to look for a hybrid car for himself.

When Ford cut the ribbon for the AutoShow, a homeless advocacy group camped inside City Hall. To Rob Ford, it is more important to show up at an event featuring stuff most people cannot realistically afford over helping those who truly cannot afford anything.

To me, it is better to help homeless people than to show up suit and tie to a show featuring expensive sets of wheels.

When Ford cut the ribbon for the AutoShow, a homeless advocacy group camped inside City Hall. To Rob Ford, it is more important to show up at an event featuring stuff most people cannot realistically afford over helping those who truly cannot afford anything.

To me, it is better to help homeless people than to show up suit and tie to a show featuring expensive sets of wheels.
How have other Mayors spent the time where they were not cutting the ribbon at the opening of their city's auto shows?

Is the world so easy to define that time cutting ribbons is, by definition, time that would otherwise been spent helping homeless people? While he was cutting that ribbon were other city officials at city hall saying "we could really move this homeless file along.....if the mayor would put down his scissors"? I have not been to an auto show in about 10 years.....but then the show was about 80% cars that people do afford as we see them on our roads everyday......sure there is the sizzle of the exotic cars but, to use a condo analogy, for every multi-million dollar penthouse there are dozens of 500 s.f. studios!

Maybe we should just tell the world we don't want events like the auto show or TIFF and the like until we get all the homeless folks sorted in nice homes....the juxtaposition of all that wealth and our homeless community makes us uncomfortable......

......of course those events bring money to town.....perhaps some of that might build or help operate some of the services that the homeless community needs.....i dunno.

...like Pride week? Which ford doesn't acknowledge, but brings in much more money than the autoshow.
I absolutely agree that Pride is a big event for the city and something we should all be, well, proud of. I also can't figure out Rob Ford's reluctance to get involved.

That said, I am not sure why you bring it up here. I was involved in a discussion with someone about how Ford could possibly pull himself from working on the homeless file to cut the ribbon at the auto show. If you used the sentence you quoted in the context I used it....you are advocating for the canceling of Pride......was that your intent?

Or are you saying if he does not go to all events he should not go to any? That, also seems hard to imagine being a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back