187     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 938     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep Ma Ford's political "dynasty" going, Mikey should probably stay put as trustee. He can be media trained in use of prepared statements, staying "on message", and saying "no comment". By 2018 he'll be the incumbent, and barring any weighty scandals, he'll be set for a long time.

For the by-election, don't be too sure Doug's gonna run to the rescue. I'd watch out for one of Doug's elder daughters to run.

For one thing, she will get cut some slack because she's the next generation and is not necessarily the dick her uncle or father were at CH. So, benefit of the doubt, at least of out the blocks. For another, I can hardly wait for the Kardashian and Selfies crew: "OMG! I just had my photo taken with K-Ford!!!"

Interesting to see if Doug Ford can make the transition to provincial politics. CBC had a good analysis noting the oddity that Ford Country in Toronto is also fortress Liberal in a federal election. Rob Ford and Justin Trudeau, other than being sons of politicians, could not be farther apart on any scale of humanity. So it remains to be seen if a Ford can capture all the rural Conservative vote and provide an inroad into parts of urban Ontario which typically goes to the Liberals. I personally think the Ford's turn off enough middle of the road Conservatives to outweigh those they pick up. If Hudak's very conservative message could not resonate with a provincial electorate already looking for change, how is Doug Ford's ultra conservative message going to do better?

I'm sorry, maybe I'll be proven horribly wrong (which I hope I am not, by the by) but Doug Ford running for the PC leadership? LOL!!!!!!

Don't want to freak anyone out or harsh the small buzz of relief that's wafting over the city, but had to point out that in Hamilton, Eisenberger (sp?) was mayor. got turfed in 2010, sat on council instead, and is now mayor again. So assuming Councillor Ford survives the next four years....

Not quite correct - Fred Eisenberger went right to the bitter end in the 2010 Hamilton Mayoral race. His mayoralty died on the "Pan-Am Stadium" hill, and also because of a promise by the eventual winner, Bob Bratina, to "look into" deamalgamation. Bratina rode a large suburban/rural vote to victory. Hamilton has many of the same urban-suburban divide issues facing Toronto, thanks to Mike Harris and the common sense revolution.

Fred finished third and left municipal politics, becoming President and CEO of the Canadian Urban Institute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back