335     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 485     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see it. If you believe the polls, he is in second place. His name would still be on the ballot too, so people would vote for him.

And he's just the type to take today's Forum poll results as proof positive that he not only has a shot at it, but that the tide is turning his way. His infinite self-regard results in infinite confidence when things go his way. He would have to suffer some serious setbacks and dropping numbers before he'd even consider admitting defeat.

I would love it too, but just don't see it happening. Now, if he loses, I bet he wouldn't concede and demand a recount...

Wouldn't be surprised that in the last week of the campaign, Doug has a family emergency/health threat that allows him to take the victim path in the face of a humiliating defeat. (A one vote loss would still be seen as humiliation by the Fords.)

Doug is not the last Ford in the box.

FoFam sells itself as a brand and a breed. First names are not so important.

Win or lose, Doug is laying the groundwork for Ford Trek: the Next Generation.

Should Mikey win school krustee, you're gonna hate what incumbency will do for him.

And he's just the type to take today's Forum poll results as proof positive that he not only has a shot at it, but that the tide is turning his way. His infinite self-regard results in infinite confidence when things go his way. He would have to suffer some serious setbacks and dropping numbers before he'd even consider admitting defeat.

Yes, his message is getting through that regular folks want someone to keep hands out of the cookie jar and look after the dollars and cents. And that someone is Doug Ford (carrying on the legacy that he started with the first four years in office) not that rich downtown elitist that's had everything handed to him on a silver platter. You know, thousands of regular taxpayers tell Doug this on a daily basis when he's out canvassing.

If he made a statement specifically about his poll numbers improving it would probably include something along the lines of the above.

I wonder how FN would handle defeat? Fire off a few nasty tweets and call it a night? Or, will extra cops be called in if they lose?

I fully expect riots.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 37s37 seconds ago
Statement from Doug Ford calls Blue Jays CEO's endorsement of Tory a "clear conflict of interest"

He would know a lot about that...

Yes, his message is getting through that regular folks want someone to keep hands out of the cookie jar and look after the dollars and cents. And that someone is Doug Ford (carrying on the legacy that he started with the first four years in office) not that rich downtown elitist that's had everything handed to him on a silver platter. You know, thousands of regular taxpayers tell Doug this on a daily basis when he's out canvassing.

If he made a statement specifically about his poll numbers improving it would probably include something along the lines of the above.

I'm interested to see what the effects will be of him turning up the heat on John Tory. On Twitter today I've read about two separate radio attack ads and a press release aimed at JT. If Doug keeps it up, could it shake Tory's support (and if so, how much and where would it go)? On the one hand, people may find it easy to tune out the rantings of a compulsive liar, but on the other hand we should never underestimate the power of negative thinking.

ETA:

Siobhan Morris ‏@siomo 56s56 seconds ago
DFord as cites Globe & Mail to back up attack on "shaky" funding for Smart Track #TOPoli

MIND = BLOWN

Last edited:
Anyone care to speculate on the possibility of Doug dropping out of the election to head back to the states, rather the face the very real possibility of a humiliating defeat on home turf?

"If you can't accept me as your mayor, then you don't deserve me at all."

Not going to happen. I'm still sure his heart isn't in it, never was, that he was originally going to do it to spare Rob the embarrassment of losing. (maybe on Mom's orders, doesn't matter.) Then they 'find' the cancer literally at the last possible moment and have the perfect cover story for the switch-a-roo.
Now that his polling is holding pretty steady to Rob's numbers, maybe he see's a glimmer of hope, but those 10 points or so, are simply not going to move from John Tory to Doug. I'm pretty sure he knows that, but will put on his game face for the next few weeks and will graciously concede election night, then he can get back to his life and Deco. Like he was the vast majority of the time while merely a Councillor*.
*and Co-Mayor of course. He's sure not afraid of the "We" talking about Rob's Mayoralty.

Should Mikey win school krustee, you're gonna hate what incumbency will do for him.

Councillor in 2018 > Mayor in 2022? ( Maybe councillor sooner if Uncle Rob is unable to fulfill his term. )

Assuming Mikey is 20ish now, and is elected school "krustee" ( thank-you, L-D ). If he retires at the same age as Mayor McCallion, Toronto will inherit him for the next 73 years.

If Morgan gets in, by that same calculation, she will be our mayor for the next 75 years.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 39s39 seconds ago
John Tory with a scripted line on Jays CEO Paul Beeston's endorsement: "They've got Tyson. We've got Beeston. I rest my case."

Well played!

Last I saw, Mikey was not leading in his race and the incumbent has a ton more experience than him.

How is this even a remote possibility? From what I can see, the guy has no public profile aside from a "famous" last name (at least since February, when he legally changed it), gives no interviews, and has been kept tucked away lest he say something. Where does he stand on educational issues? What qualifies him to hold any form of public office?

Why not just run a stuffed animal or a potted plant?

I think one would be wise to heed Pickes' comments.
Heeding his recommendation to leave out the horrid misogynistic comments ... yes. However Pickles comment that they are being picked on, simply because there are politicians in the family is completely false. I don't recall any comments being made here about Harper', Hudak's, Harris's or Tory's children. It's not about their family being politicians, or right-wing. It's about the crime, drug-use, racism, and bigotry. Still, that doesn't justify the misogyny, even if they have grown up with that as well.

How is this even a remote possibility? From what I can see, the guy has no public profile aside from a "famous" last name (at least since February, when he legally changed it), gives no interviews, and has been kept tucked away lest he say something. Where does he stand on educational issues? What qualifies him to hold any form of public office?

Why not just run a stuffed animal or a potted plant?

Oh, they're both running already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back